Can 20" rims fit on a modena? | FerrariChat

Can 20" rims fit on a modena?

Discussion in '360/430' started by advan24r, Mar 17, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. advan24r

advan24r Rookie

Mar 12, 2004
    What are the wheel specs for the modena when upgrading to 19 or 20 if possible?

2. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I suppose it could work, it may take some work but you may be able to get it. My question however is...why would you want to know even?
    I guess MTV is stopping by your house later this week or something?

3. Willis360

Willis360 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Willis H
    The Challenge Stradale has 19" wheels.

4. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    Oh dear Advan24, be prepared for some flack, ie "why do you want to do that" Good luck dude.

5. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    215/45ZR18 in the front and 275/40ZR18 in the rear.

The tire rolling diameter that fits the 360 suspension geometry is 25.4" at the front and 26.6" at the rear. A 20" set of wheels only gives 3.6" for the sidewalls including the bead--or about 2.75" without the beed. Given 0.75 inches of tire thickness (tread plus belts and such) this gives the tire only about 1.5" of compressibility before the wheel takes an impact load (e.g. gets bent).

The best tires right now for drag racing are found on 17" rims--linear traction is better with a taller sidewall. The best slicks for racing are found on 17" rims--after a certain point, decreasing the height of the sidewall only increases the difficulty of mounting the tires on the wheels and does not contribute to traction in linear or longitudinal senses. Many r-compound tires are not available on 18" rims let alone 19s or 20s--why limit your choice of tires?

So, if you do not need to increase your brake rotor size by 1" or 2"s them why not leave well enough alone?

6. advan24r

advan24r Rookie

Mar 12, 2004
    What would the specs be for aftermarket 19s?

The reason I asked for 20s is this ferrari will never be tracked but more for show.

7. LAfun2

LAfun2 Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

FRont

225/40/19 or 235/40/19

REAR

285/35/19

Just some choices

8. advan24r

advan24r Rookie

Mar 12, 2004

Great thanks!! Would you also know the offset and bolt pattern?

9. JimSchad

JimSchad Guest

seriously go to giovanna's site. they have a modena with 19's front 20's rear. Looks okay to me, but not sure on handling and the purists hate it. Read an article that 19's don't improve handling although they look better.

http://www.giovannawheels.com/gfg/gallery.html

10. paulie_b

paulie_b F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

Jan 13, 2003
    Jupiter, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Bianco
    when you say "show" I hope you don't mean concours......you will loose alot of points.

11. ATBNM3

ATBNM3 Formula 3

Nov 17, 2003
    Sunny Isles
    Full Name:
    Don Jackson II
    Ricer alert. You do not put 20's on a 360. It will make the car look like a piece of rice thug out s***.

12. advan24r

advan24r Rookie

Mar 12, 2004

No, not for concours. Just more of my own likings. I like to have a car that I enjoy looking at and be more unique than knowing there are so many other modenas out there that looks like mine.

13. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    If you want different get the whole Novitec package. At least that way you'll have something different and still aweasome. But I mean it is your car and to each there own. Do what you want.

14. PaulC

PaulC Formula 3

Feb 11, 2003
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Paul

If you want to be unique try some 13 inchers. If there are so many Modenas like yours, maybe I should put some flames on my Boxster S.

15. F40

F40 F1 Rookie

Apr 16, 2003
    AZ
    I don't think he'd be able to handle that car, I think his is more of a status symbol.

16. advan24r

advan24r Rookie

Mar 12, 2004

I wish I can afford all that. But I only had enough to afford the car and possibly new wheels and exhaust. Unless someone can hook it up on the novitec body upgrades for cheaper =)

17. ATBNM3

ATBNM3 Formula 3

Nov 17, 2003
    Sunny Isles
    Full Name:
    Don Jackson II
    Oh yeah CHROME 22" spinners on a 360 modena.

18. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Oh yeah... nothing turns heads like seeing from the corner of your eye a car moving down the street with one wheel not turning... or seeming to not be turning!! Go for it!!

NOT! Just FYI... some people (like myself) find it really stupid looking when we see great big wheels around tiny little brakes. You don't want to be able to see lotsa daylight through the wheels... like you're driving around a covered wagon. The only valid reason to put on bigger wheels is to allow you to fit on bigger brakes... without that, they do NOT look better.

If you want to personalize your 360, go for it! But I'd encourage you to work with the Ferrari engineers, not against them. There are many great-looking but very different-looking 18" wheels out there... get some. Get silver instead of gray; or even chrome for lotsa flash. Not my taste, but not laughable. But stick with Ferrari's geometry... don't lessen the car just to make it look unique.

JMHO.

19. Jon@Tezta

Jon@Tezta Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2003
    Hong Kong / Jakarta
    Full Name:
    Jonathan
    I think finding the proper sizes for tires is the most difficult part. Ive seen a combo of 225/35/19 and 285/30/20 on a 360 before i forget what wheel it was.. IMO since the stradale does indeed come with 19's why not just get a set of 19's like that one TDF blue 360CS from Meridian. But like you said its for show im sure you mean HIN or importshowoff etc etc. Then yes go with 20's in the back..

20. advan24r

advan24r Rookie

Mar 12, 2004
    I think i'm leaning more towards the 19s. The reason why I don't go with the stradale wheels is because I want a wheel w/a deeper lip.

Giovanna Wheels has them, and Symbolic wheels has them also. They are all similar to OEM style just don't know where to get them. =)

21. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Deep dish 19s would look alot better than some bling bling 20s. And Giovanna makes some good rims. Still though I'd go for some sort of a more racing inspired wheel.

22. LAfun2

LAfun2 Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    For deep dish 19s, get some HREs. Bob over there will custom make your offsets and lip sizes.

You can do a full reverse lip setup.

23. ATBNM3

ATBNM3 Formula 3

Nov 17, 2003
    Sunny Isles
    Full Name:
    Don Jackson II
    Hey Brian just so you know I was being sarcastic.

Advan If you a looking for a proper wheel with a deep lip I would consider either HRE or iForged. I prefer iforged because you wheels are basically custom. They are built after to your specification after you order them. They told me they could put a 3" lip on the rear and an inch and a half on the front of my M3 with out widebody kit on my E36 M3.
    http://www.iforged.com/index2.html
    they have some great pictures online so check them out.

24. Jon@Tezta

Jon@Tezta Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2003
    Hong Kong / Jakarta
    Full Name:
    Jonathan
    Iforged i hear has had a number of quality and customer service problems since they started.. I would let them work them all out before ordering a set from them.

25. l'esecuzioneItaliana

Jan 29, 2004
    Thats what I had on my 360 coupe. HRE 546R's, 19x9's on the front and 20x12's on the back. Mine were black powdercoated and I had a 3 inch lip in the back.

HRE makes nice custom wheels.
    www.hrewheels.com