"There is only one Ferrari, and this isn't it" | Page 2 | FerrariChat

"There is only one Ferrari, and this isn't it"

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by t88power, Nov 17, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Hubert888

Hubert888 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 14, 2003
    Manhattan & LA
    Full Name:
    Hubert
    i just put someone on my ignore list. figure out who it is. :)

2. rodsky

rodsky Formula 3

Mar 24, 2003
    Los Angeles
    I would say a GT2 and a Murci would be close with the nod going to the GT2.

I think that a 360 with 400 HP will be close with the 380HP GT3 and a little behind the Gallardo. The 360CS and Gallardo - now that would be interesting. They both have similar acceleration, 0-60 times etc. I would think the 360CS would be slightly faster on a tigher track.

3. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Ive driven both the Murci and the Gt2, the Murci is faster, especially over 100mph. Even down low, the Murci is quicker.

As for putting me on the ignore list... omg, big deal, as if i care. Maybe you should just talk to yourself, then youd always share your own opinion.

The 360CS will no doubt be much better than the reg 360. My point is, people here enjoy pointing out that Lambo has lost its Lambo feel with the Gallardo. I AGREE to this to an extent, this is why i will buy a Murcielago. But precisely what you are saying about the Gallardo, happened to Ferrari, but many many years ago. Drive a 512TR, then drive a 575. The 575 feels quicker, easier to drive, user friendly, and through all that, it lost its Ferrari feel. Driving the 512 is 10X the experience of driving a 575 or 550/456/360. So on this forum, at first everyone praises the Ferrari's new everday useability, and condemns Lamborghinis unuseability. Now Lambo makes a car that is userfriendly, and all of a sudden its condemned for that also.

4. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Allan has a good point guys!, but as it is a Ferrari site I guess we are allowed to be a little one eyed. I for one enjoy Allan's contribution, especially the fact that he atleast can handle the fact that NOT all Ferraris are fantastic cars. Every manufacture does not get it right all the time ... many get it wrong almost every time :)

Pete

5. enzoz

enzoz Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Good points Michael. I agree, I think the 360 Modena is a better car all around. I'm sick of people saying that a Z-06 will kill everything. It's a great car, and what I would buy for the money, but it's not an automotive god like a Ferrari, Lamborghini, Pagani etc. It's little sub 4 second blast to 60mph was done in perfect conditions with 4.10 gears and a pro behind the wheel. It's faster in a line, but not THAT much faster. A Maranello would leave it for dead from a roll, especially in the higher gears, and STILL be comfortable to drive.

Road and Track had a cool article a while back on the best handling cars. 360 Modena came in first; beat the Z. The Gallardo is probably more confidence inspiring than both though.

That said, I'd take a Murcielago over them all. :D

6. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    Despite some of the negative comments re the new software, the best feature by far is the "Ignore" feature.

Apparently some hawaiian troll is loose again, but thanks to the miracle of modern technology I haven't had to read a single word he's posted. Way to go Rob. You are a Prince!

7. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    BS... very little bashing goes on here, except when you show up.

People's problem with you has NOTHING TO DO with your love of Lambo. People's problem with you has everything to do with the fact that you jump into every other thread and de-rail it with some asinine discussion of Lambo performance numbers and the pathetic-ness of today's Ferraris.

For example, what was the point of this thread? It was that a very positive review of the newest Lambo made the quote above. Pointing that out is not a "bash" against Lambo; rather, its a point of pride about Ferrari. Appropriate conversation based on that would be to discuss the Ferrari mystique in general, what makes Ferrari so special anyway, similar experiences we have had with other people's Ferrari-worship, or some of the related discussion in that video (such as how the brief audience poll that he did so well mirrored our own "what's the best Lambo poll").

This could have been a great thread... instead, its a big pile of garbage. Why? Because the resident troll started trolling in it.

However, if everyone here had Allan on their ignore list, then nobody would have felt compelled to respond to his trolling, and then we could have had our nice thread, unaffected by Allan jumping in with comments (unseen by us). Thus, we are all as much to blame for the destruction of the thread as Allan... the only way to deal with trolls is to IGNORE them... Allan takes pride in his troll-hood... even trolling on Lambochat! Sheesh.

Ignore him! For the health of Ferrarichat, ignore him!

8. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    I love the Top Gear Videos. LOL the "ze food" comment made me laugh out loud :)

Sticking to the topic, the Gallardo looks like a great car, but I think they summed it up nicely at the end. Despite the fact that it can possibly out handle a 360 (several years old design btw) and all that speed related stuff, I just prefer the history behind the ferrari name. For some reason no matter how slow Ferraris are, I will always prefer them to others. Im just stuck on the brand :)

Hardly bashing Lamborghini though, the Gallardo looks magnificant!

9. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    BTW, in response to all the bickering. Who really cares? We are talking about seconds or less in terms of speed. That all depends on so many variables that it doesnt even merit itself as substantial evidence. There is no "better" car...just difference in opinions :)

10. Hubert

Hubert F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2002
    The Left Coast
    You guys are seriously off the deep end.

11. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    The question is how fast did it take to reach the bottom in a Gallardo vs a 360. We all know that drivers have nothing to do with any of these cars being faster than one another.

12. t88power

t88power Formula 3

Feb 19, 2001
    Puerto Rico
    Full Name:
    Ernesto
    LOL... Allan, all I did was post a little video. Relax!! You dont have to get so bent out of shape!

Ernesto

13. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    Allan, I have no problem with you liking Lamborghinis. Anyone who loves exotics will find at least one they like. But you take it to such an absurd level of penis size. All penises have some value. Little ones can please a woman as much as big ones. In fact, people with the big ones tend to learn less technique because they think they don't have to. So the 360 is slower than a Vette. So is my Europa. No thanks, I don't want to trade my penis for yours.

14. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I really liked the "talk show" bit during the last half - I've never seen that before... makes US car shows with just one dude bellowing into a cheap PBS microphone seem uninvolved. This made it feel like the whole team of car men was there to talk cars, like a supportive community.

I think the shape of the car lends itself better to darker metallic colors though. I'd take black.

And I think in this instance people were jumping all over Allan for nothing.

15. madturk

madturk Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 2, 2003
    Williston, ND
    Full Name:
    Seyhan Kilincci
    I am sorry Allan, but I just had to say something.
    Most people who have porsches, nsx, lotus are people mostly who wish they had a FERRARI. I know because I was one of them. I had a 996T ( which was a great car but not a Ferrari) and we would get together with other porsche owners and make exuses about not spending the extra money on the Ferrari. As far as the lambo goes it is a FERRARI wanna be and most people who buy them are interested in showing offfff more then driving them. They do things like driving doors open around South Beach. Such people are mostly rappers and so on. Hey Allan maybe you should get some gold in your mouth as well.
    Best regards

16. madturk

madturk Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 2, 2003
    Williston, ND
    Full Name:
    Seyhan Kilincci
    God damm, have you guys watched the Porsche GT video. Finally a mean Porsche that is gonna give a hard time to Ferrari. Enzo still a bit ahead if you ask me. But still, I am sure neither the Enzo nor the Carrera GT won't compare to the lambo. LOL

17. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    I bought a well-used 1977 Ferrari 308 for the same money that I could've bought a mid-1990's used Corvette that would smoke it in every way. What was the possible reasoning here?

Because I have always loved Ferrari 308s and guess what? I couldn't care less that a hopped up Civic ricer can smoke my Ferrari. I didn't buy it to race! I am betting 95% of the people who own Ferraris don't race them on the street or on the track. They just love Ferraris. I'm willing to bet that most people on this list rarely abuse their cars to see how fast they can make them go. Therefore, very few of them care that they can buy a Corvette cheaper or a Lamborghini that will outperform it. There's ALWAYS a faster machine.

Recently I spent a few grand having some engine work done to my 308 and a friend of mine (who drives a Mustang) commented that for that kind of money he could've put a supercharger in his Mustang. My reply was "But it would still be a Ford!" (No offense intended to Mustang afficianados!)

We love Ferrari for the beauty, the sound, the mystique and the passion, not so we can smoke other cars on the way to the grocery store!

Birdman

P.S. If I could afford a Gallardo, I would have one of those too!

18. Jay

Jay Karting

Nov 13, 2003
    Charlotte
    Full Name:
    Jay
    My favorite quote from the video is "The Gallardo is a better car then the Ferrari". That says it all right there. It's a sad state of affairs when a marquee relies on it's name and not it's performance to sell cars. "The Ferrari Heritage" has been the excuse from many an owner. Well heritage doesn't mean jack when I meet you at a stop light.

19. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Absolutely. And when we meet at the stop light, I'll tip my hat to you in your Civic and let you go. I could care less how fast you are. I'm the one driving a Ferrari.

20. madturk

madturk Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 2, 2003
    Williston, ND
    Full Name:
    Seyhan Kilincci
    No, I enjoy smoking others. I for one drive it to the limit. I am allways red lining. I don't care if it's a civic or a mustang or a corvette or a lambo. You come next to me and we'll go. But it is true there all kinds of cars out there that are just as fast or faster. Put a supercharger on a Z06 and it will kill my 355 and the most of the lambos. You just gotto pick your battles. The other day a RX7 stayed with me from 70mhp. to about 160mhp. until we had to slow down. I spoke to the guy after and he spend 35k on his car. You just gotto ask yourself is it worthed cause he was drueling all over my 355.

21. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    Yeah, I love the format of the Top Gear shows - the tests, then the chit chat afterwards, which is always funny. I definitely like it. By the way, is Tiff still on the show? I don't see him anymore. I think I like him better than Clarkson - not at funny, but also not as cynical - Clarkson can just get a BIT annoying to me after a while. I ask because Tiff did his own Gallardo review as well.

22. Jay

Jay Karting

Nov 13, 2003
    Charlotte
    Full Name:
    Jay
    LOL! You are the reason Ferrari can get away with selling poor performing cars. Like you're something special and better than anyone else because "you're the one driving a f-car" Ha! Please!

Unlike you, obviously, I don't need a name to bolster my ego!

23. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    Quotes from Tiff's review:

"For me it's all about feel. I want to be more in control of this car than I am with this Lamborghini. I can't set it into a corner and adjust its attitude as much as I would want to."

"Well, if you've been saving hard for your first 100,000 poud car, it would be very easy to get tempted by the sure footedness of this 500 HP Lamborghini. BUT, I'm afraid it's not quite exceptional enough to make you cancel your order for a Ferrari 360."

24. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    Jay, don't be such a fool. Ferrari has never tried to build a drag racer from the fast and the furious, thank god. A Ferrari can take a ricer around a track, because it's about more than straight line speed.

And finally, and most importantly, just like you argue that we use Ferrari's heritage as a shield, you and allenlambo and everyone like you use speed as your shield because you know that your cars will never EVER match the style and evocative feel of a Ferrari. CARS AREN'T JUST SPEED. They are the whole package.

25. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    And as for Allen, I find it hilarious that in all these posts you talk about the Murcielago being so great, because you know that your white Diablo with SV decals on the side can never be used in these arguments. You're focusing on how great Clarkson says the Murci is in this video without recognizing the about he Murci and Gallardo are all relative TO OTHER LAMBORGHINIS. I.e. This Lamborghini is good because as opposed to others I can actually see out the back. This Lamborghini is good because as opposed to others I can actually depress the clutch pedal without being able to leg press 1000 pound. This Lamborghini is good because as opposed to others it actually has an interior that doesn't suck. Please. I'd really like to hear you try to argue about the timelessness of that disgusting chromed out thing you have in your driveway, or are you having second thoughts about the appeal of a giant wedge of cheese?