328 redline rev'ing problem... | FerrariChat

328 redline rev'ing problem...

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by rob lay, Mar 17, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I know the 328 has a 7,700 RPM redline or so, but it really sounds like mine is struggling past 7,200 or so. It goes strong until then and about there it struggles to get more RPM and sounds like it's really straining.

It's done this since I owned the car. I've had it on the dyno and the numbers show a healthy 228 RWHP. I never got a print of the dyno run, but it did drop of all of a sudden in power past that 7k mark or so.

I know the top power doesn't come at redline, but I wanted to see if there's something wrong. Can the engine be 100% healthy until a certain RPM? If so, what problem would this point to.

I was talking to Ric Rainbolt Saturday and he just rebuilt his 348 engine. He said the most noticeable difference after the rebuild is how it revs at the top end.

I'm really just looking for an excuse to rebuild my first Ferrari engine. ;)

Thanks,
    rob

2. ricrain

ricrain Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Dallas Area
    Full Name:
    Ric
    Sounds like the fuel pump to me...

3. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Most tired engines loose it in the low end before it becomes noticible in the top end. I suspect fuel or ignition.

4. wimeldo

wimeldo Formula 3

Jul 24, 2003
    (Spain)
    Full Name:
    Alfredo
    is possible a reading error in the rev counter???

Greetings

Alfredo.

5. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    No, because you can feel and hear the engine bog down and the dyno chart showed it.

Shouldn't a 328 rev strong all the way up to 7,800+?

6. 4re gt4

4re gt4 Formula 3

Apr 23, 2002
    Roseburg, OR
    Full Name:
    Hans E. Hansen
    Poor high rpm response can be caused by either airflow or exhaust being constipated. Cat conv issues often, but could be muffler too. As I recall, you have a K&N, so it's probably not intake - but wouldn't hurt to check.

7. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Yep, forgot about exhaust constipation........

8. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Rob, do check/confirm the accuracy of your tach. 328/Mondial 3.2 tachs are notorious for failing and reading several hundred rpm low. I personally know of four cars with this problem, mine included. I fixed mine last year.

9. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I would think a 328 would rev to 10,000 strong if you wanted it to.

10. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    You're right Rob, I hit 8100 rpm a couple times last Saturday (accidentally), and it pulled without strain all the way up.

Dave

11. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    My car was weak above 7K until I had the exhaust recirculation hoses replaced, then it was much quieter and the power continues building all the way to redline. It made a huge difference in top-end power. Strangely though, it seem to have lost some of its mid-range power in the process. I would recommend looking at the exhaust.

12. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    I thought our limiter was at 7.7k?

13. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Nope, none.

14. abarthracer

abarthracer Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2003
    Falmouth, Cape Cod
    Full Name:
    david S.
    I would hook up a basic vacuum/pressure gauge to the exhaust before the mufflers/cats and check your backpressure. The Shadetree mechanic guys did a episode on this recently and it is very simple. I want to say that you shouldnt have more than 4-5psi back pressure. At least it would tell you whether it is in the exhaust.
    David

15. 4re gt4

4re gt4 Formula 3

Apr 23, 2002
    Roseburg, OR
    Full Name:
    Hans E. Hansen
    Good idea. Also, a vacuum gauge in the intake system will detect problems in either the intake or exhaust. As I have no experience with 328 injection, I'm not sure where you'd hook it up.

16. Corsa

Corsa Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Stockholm
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Some 328 have a 7700-7800 rpm limiter. I have heard that some of these rev limiters are adjustable.

My 328 pulls strong up to the limiter. The tacho is insane though...

Ciao
    Peter