308 engine installation | FerrariChat

308 engine installation

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Gianluca, Mar 17, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gianluca

Gianluca Formula Junior

May 6, 2003
    Centreville, Virgini
    Full Name:
    Gianluca Chegai
    Hi,
    I am finally ready to reinstall my engine in a '81 308 GTSi and have a few questions for those who have done it before.

1) I removed the AC compressor when I took the engine out. I believe that I can reinstall the engine with the compressor already mounted. Is this correct?

2) I have not yet received my headers from being ceramic coated but would like to drop the engine in this Saturday. Is it possible to install the engine and then add the front headers? (maybe by lifting the engine a bit)?

3) I have profusely oiled all the parts that were removed during reassembly. Anything special about the restart?

4) Finally, any special suggestions and/or caveats about this job?

Thanks,

Gianluca

2. jm3

jm3 F1 Rookie

Oct 3, 2002
    United States
    Full Name:
    JM3

3. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Life will be easier to install front header first. I can be installed thru the right wheel well, if you remove fuel tank and tilt engine up from mounts.

A/C may complicate drop in as well. Why not mount once engine is in???

4. 308GTS

308GTS Formula 3

Dec 27, 2001
    TN
    A/C really needs to be out. I know it isn't what you want to hear but it will make it easier. You can do it with it the compressor in there but it would be too troublesome. Do you have freon in the system or is it still open?

5. Gianluca

Gianluca Formula Junior

May 6, 2003
    Centreville, Virgini
    Full Name:
    Gianluca Chegai
    Thanks for all the advice.

Right side tank is out already. Was waiting to install engine before I put it back.

The AC compressor has been removed so is empty.

I will install the compressor afterward.

Since the gas tank is out of the way, could I put the headers after the engine?

6. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Yes, I've replaced a shattered one that way.

7. ricrain

ricrain Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Dallas Area
    Full Name:
    Ric
    1) Yes.
    2) If the right tank is out, yes. The alternator might need to be out, too.
    3) Disable the fuel pump and crank the car with the spark plugs out until oil pressure shows on the gauge.
    4) Don't tighten the motor mount bolts until they're all in place. If you're cam belts covers are off when you set the motor it, don't break the lips of the cam pulleys.

8. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I just dropped the motor in my car this evening. The best way to handel the front header is to put it in the engine bay first..lean it upagainst the fire wall and then lower the engine in. This way you don't have to fight with anything. Then once she all in and sitting reach up and put your gaskets on the studs, then simply push on the manifold.

The engine can easily be installed with the alternator in place. A bit of a trick to do with the A/C on but I have done it. You need a load leveler and 3 people mind you.