Scarcity of 1/18 Ferrari Models | FerrariChat

Scarcity of 1/18 Ferrari Models

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by Dana_McCann, Mar 15, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dana_McCann

Dana_McCann Karting

Nov 10, 2003
    Houston,Texas
    Full Name:
    Dana L. McCann
    I was wondering if this were my imagination or not? Over the past couple of years, I have been able to find almost all of the ferraris that I have searched for in the 1/18 scale. Now, and maybe it is my wild imagination, it seems rather hard to find the mattel 288 GTO, UT 355's and Mattel 355's, Mattel 250 GTO clean version, Mattel and Burago 250 Testarossa, Jouef 250 GT SWB, Mattel F50 Black Hard Top, Mattel 512M (Black), Mira 512TR Mattel and or Anson 246 GT. Now I know I can find these at Cavallino Models. I have tried searches with Scale18, Sportscraftcars.com, Diecastmuscle.com, and many others outside of ebay, and they just simply aren't available. Could somone please tell me that this is my imagination. I have tried the Canadian websites i.e. Gpmini.qc.ca which has a nice picture of Mattels' 250 Gt Lusso mounted on a ferrari head cover base. Help ME !!!!

2. Scott85

Scott85 Formula 3

Dec 16, 2000
    Dayton , OH
    Most of those cars that you mention are out of production. I've heard though that Mattel is going to re-release the 288 & 250 GTO's . UT , Anson & Mira are all gone , or have been bought out . UT went to Gateway Global(Autoart) & Anson was bought by RC/Ertl.

3. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I think this is a correct observation. It is especially true if you collect the F1 cars (of any make). After a couple of years, they sorta disappear.

I always had a 328, which used to be a big deal, before Kyosho brought it back. I still got a few others, which have becom extinct by now: 288 GTO Evoluzione and 312P for example.

4. zebra308

zebra308 Formula 3

Jan 14, 2004
    All Flimmits
    Full Name:
    Ruffis Leekin
    I'm not sure of the scarcity of some F-1 cars. Seems the F-399 is in full production again. If you check on e-bay, there must be at least 50 of them any time I visit. I think someone was hording a pi$$ load of them somewhere.
    If you need a F-399 for your collection, I think nows the time to get it.
    Will

5. Dana_McCann

Dana_McCann Karting

Nov 10, 2003
    Houston,Texas
    Full Name:
    Dana L. McCann

You are correct, I too feel that someone,or some company is holding on to these models. It's like going through some sort of dry spell for a couple of months, then Wa La! I am begining to hate the fact that mattel has this deal with ferrari. I am noticing a price fluctuation as well between different dealers.

6. jj2728

jj2728 Karting

Jan 19, 2004
    Ontario
    yes there are quite a few available on ebay right now and the bulk of them came out of brazil....i heard this from a reputable dealer...anyhow, when it comes to the f1 cars, mattel, whether it be 1/43 or 1/18, are just plain lousy.....but if you collect diecast it's the only game in town...sad really....

7. fastaone

fastaone Karting

Jan 9, 2004
    Long Island
    Full Name:
    Peter F
  8. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Not really: The non Mattel F1 they offer are the wrong scale 1/20.

9. gaggi

gaggi Karting

Dec 8, 2003
    Switzerland
    It's normal if you have problems finding such models: apart from extinguished firms like UT, Mattel bought in 1999 an exclusive license for producing "large diffusion" Ferrari models. Therefore, except Kyosho and Exoto, nobody produces Ferrari anymore, with may be the exception of Bburago that produces variants but no new models. For the F1, Minichamps used to produce the current model during a few months and basta...

Greg

10. JOEV

JOEV F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 6, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Joe
    The Mattel 288GTO is long sold out - last Fall, I had to jump through quite a few hoops to get one (much better than Bburago's 288GTO). The black F50 hard top, black 512M (and some other models) are still available from Muscara in Italy (http://www.muscara.com/Toys/hw118.html) - I was very impressed with the speed and cost of their shipping; Italy to Ontario in 7 days!

As for the nice UT 550 and 355, I think eBay and Cavallino are the only sources now.

Regards,
    Joe