Where can I find high performance parts? | FerrariChat

Where can I find high performance parts?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by F1Ace, Mar 17, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F1Ace

F1Ace F1 Rookie

Mar 15, 2004
    Full Name:
    Wes
    It was mentioned that there are gains to be had in both engine and suspension in the 308 & 328 series if one incorporated some aftermarket components.

Could you guys suggest where I could find things like chips, springs, etc. that would pep up a Ferrari?

Thanks!
    Wes

2. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Are you looking for the kind of performance that is achievable with 40 hour engine rebuilds, or the kind of performance that is available with 50K mile engine rebuilds?

Suspension wise, all of these cars are old enough to be looking for new suspension bushings. As long as you have the a-arms out, weld up the C/U sections into a full boxed members and this will about double the strength of the a-arms. New ball joints are appropriate at this time also. I (personally) would leave the ride height stock as these cars are already low enough.

At the wheel tire level, wider tires on wider rims and modern streetable rubber is a big win.

With the stickier rubber on the road, a little more spring, shock and roll bar are appropriate.

Don't forget to upgrade the brakes to match the rest of the car.

None of the above is inexpensive like souping up a Mustang.

3. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Search the archives for lots of threads and parts recommendations.
    You have to get rid of sodium valves, etc.
    Compression can be upped also, unless you want to run on regular, like me!

4. F1Ace

F1Ace F1 Rookie

Mar 15, 2004
    Full Name:
    Wes
    I'm not so much looking to find specific parts, like valves per se, but are there any web sites that sell a nice cross section of Ferrari aftermarket parts? Like chips, springs, K&N filters, ANSA mufflers, etc.. A web site devoted to Ferrari.

Thanks!
    Wes

5. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Watch the billboards at the top of this page.

Most of the site sponsors are Ferrari specific with parts support.

The trick is to have an overall concept in mind of where you are going with the car, before you start down the road on the project.

Mine's still pretty much stock equipment, 25 years on, and with the help of a good technician, it SCREAMS!

6. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    Click on the sponsor tab, that will get you started at least. Then it becomes more of a search and compare. For example there are a couple places that have replacement shocks, but really they are assembling custom race shocks to a spec they have already tried. Any shop that sells any brand of race shock can help you if you know what you're after with prices ranging from about $800 - $3500 depending on features ( mine were about $2400 and I love them)The engine stuff is the same way. With ferraris there just aren't many kit type mods, everything is a custom. The tech section is a pretty good resouce, there are quite a few people who have tried a lot of stuff, so search the archieve, then post if you can't find it. Pistons and cams are easy to get but knowing what to ask for is the hard part. Any of the FI car will require a conversion to EFI (or carbs) to make power. Turbo/blower systems are all custom jobs. Norwood is the most experienced place to go for turbos and there are a couple guys who post here theat have cars they did. I did a blower on mine...it was kind of a pain to build but makes it go fast.

7. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Wes,
    The "bolt on" mods for the 308/328 are very limited. There are no "chips". Yeah, you can get a K&N, a test pipe and a Tubi Style exhaust, but that will not be worth more than 5 to 10 hp, best case. These cars are already "hot rodded" from the factory, and to add much more is really not economically feasible. Best to just upgrade to the next car in the line, like a 348 or 355, or TR.

As mentioned earlier, these cars are getting old enough, that just replacing the suspension bits with new oem stuff can make a huge difference in "restoring" the original performance, that may be lacking. Shocks and bushings being the most common. Remember the newest 308 is now an 19 year old car...

8. F1Ace

F1Ace F1 Rookie

Mar 15, 2004
    Full Name:
    Wes
    Great comments guys, thanks!

The Tech Section...of course... the Tech Section...what else could it be but the Tech Section...just one question Chief, what is the Tech Section?

Just kidding, just always wanted to say that. Thanks again for the well thought out and well worded replies.

Best wishes!
    Wes

9. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Our sponsers Nick and Norwoods are both 3x8 tuners.