Expo Motors - Anyone Know them - 360 Purchase | FerrariChat

Expo Motors - Anyone Know them - 360 Purchase

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by rodsky, Dec 21, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rodsky

rodsky Formula 3

Mar 24, 2003
    Los Angeles
    I am in the market for a 360. Probably a 2000 or 2001. I know that I will be getting a PPI prior to purchase. Saw this one on Ebay - looks intriguing - Titanium 360.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2449496678&category=6212

Has anyone had any experience with Expo. They are in Houston. They sell a lot of cars on Ebay - and have good feedback. They have 2 or 3 Ferraris at any one time. This one looks nice.. Any thoughts on this one or any thing to look for would be greatly appreciated.. This price does not look unreasonable to me.

Happy Holidays.

2. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    looks amazing man good luck with the purchase

3. Jon@Tezta

Jon@Tezta Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2003
    Hong Kong / Jakarta
    Full Name:
    Jonathan
    I don't know them, but i have asked the same question on another forum and have been told that the salvage laws in texas are quite lenient, which could be why some of their cars are very well priced.

4. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    expo motors has been in business here in houston for many years. i have never bought a car from them but have looked at several. expo is a wholesaler. they list their cars on ebay more for advertising than anything else. the only reason that i have never bought a car from them is they don't take trades. they also do not mess with financing. they take cash or financing only if you have lined it up a head of time. for the most part, they turn a large amount of inventory very quickly. when you see the real highend vehicles on their floor (ie- ferrari, lamborghini, etc....) it is more for a perk for their owner and employees. they don't make money on these cars. they typically will list the car for about $5k over what they have in it, once they decide to let it go, they will lower the price to their breakeven and let it go.

the 360's they have listed are very nice, solid cars. the silver has been there too long and it needs to go. the red 2003 model is not in such a hurry to leave. i have not researched these vehicles, but they look clean and have not had any damage. the silver car was a local houston car. the red car i believe came from california as part of a dealer trade.

almost all their cars come from dealers across the country that took them in on trade and don't have the capital to let them sit until they sell. the majority of expos business is done on mercedes, bmw, porsche, etc... and not exotics.

5. noahlh

noahlh Formula 3

Aug 28, 2003
    NYC, NY
    Full Name:
    Noah
    That silver car has caught my eye for MONTHS ... I'm amazed it hasn't sold yet, and frankly that makes me skeptical. They had it listed at $147 originally and have been steadily dropping the price. If it's a good as it looks, why is it still there?

6. vref

vref Karting

Dec 18, 2003
    1 Hr North of Housto
    Full Name:
    Jim
    The resale on a Ferrari that has a blue interior, is not going to be stellar.

7. rodsky

rodsky Formula 3

Mar 24, 2003
    Los Angeles
    wspeer - thanks for the helpful response.

vref - I had not even noticed the interior was blue.. Doesn't bother me that much. In the pics it looks blue.

noah - same question.

They may be a good fit for me. I dont want to trade anything in.

Anyone else have any other feedback? Thanks in advance..

8. Garrick Louie

Nov 26, 2003
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Garrick Louie
    A few months ago I was in searching for a M5 and I flew into TX to buy a car from Expo.

They told me that the car was in excellent (flawless) condition but not by my standards - there were swirl marks all over it and small scratches all over the bumper. I was very unhappy with this after buying a one-way ticket from CA and having to stay overnight and buy another one-way ticket back home.

It was disappointing that they did not disclose this to me and they did lower the price but to be honest I never would have traveled so far to buy a car in that condition. Luckily for me we did not agree on price and I ended up getting a perfect M5 a few weeks later :)

I think as long as you are willing to travel and check out the car in person you will be fine...I would never buy a car sight unseen.

9. advan24r

advan24r Rookie

Mar 12, 2004
    My Father just bought the red 2003 360 Modena from them and is getting delivered now. Everything checks out...clean title, one owner, meticulously taken care of.

10. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    i believe that car doesnt have power seats which i believe makes it harder to sell and lower resale values

11. Rexcoltrain

Rexcoltrain Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2003
    Oahu, Hawaii
    I have been very pleased with the Boxster I purchased from them. They are very up front about the entire operation and eager to satisfy. I have seen the 360 and it looked great to me, I think it's just a tough market. My salesman was David Yi...very low pressure and easy to work with. I stop by to visit with them every so often, so let me know if there is anything I can do. Nick

12. advan24r

advan24r Rookie

Mar 12, 2004

Are you referring to the titanium color modena or the red one? The 2003 red one that was purchased has them.

13. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

I'd rather not have power seats anyway(in fact I don't). It saves weight and that's why it is offered. I believe that that is a good arguement for not having them in case anyone asks.

14. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    I purchased my Z3 from Expo. They were very straightforward and exceptionally easy to deal with. All in all: a ver positive experience.

15. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    Last year I looked at a 328 GTS for a fellow F chatter, had no problems with them. Expo let me go over the car & they presented all books with known records. Very easy to friendly to work with.

16. TC (Houston)

TC (Houston) Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2002
    Houston
    I've heard this time and time again, and I have a really hard time believing that anyone could care this much about power seats, especially in a freaking exotic car, which I would imagine is principally driven by only one person! I haven't moved the seat in my daily driver since the day I took delivery.

17. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    For some reason, it seems to be true. One of our FChatters took a poll of several dealers, and the upshot was lack of power seats would hurt you to the tune of $10,000 at the wholesale level (on the 360). I never checked myself, but it seems to be valid. Martin? Comments?

Gary

18. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    it doesnt make sense but i have heard the same thing

19. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Seems a little high. If anything, the lack of having power seats should "hurt" only as much as the option cost, which I thought was much less than 10K?

20. paulie_b

paulie_b F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

Jan 13, 2003
    Jupiter, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Bianco
    I am sure this person appreciates the input. Thats one of the things about FChat.

21. ty (360mode)

ty (360mode) Formula Junior

Sep 25, 2002
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Tim

lol, you're thinking too logically, this is not porsche logic, it's ferrari logic :) - it really does make a difference. my first 360 had no power seats and the dealer had a b!tch of a time selling it for that reason! the one i ordered has power seats (and daytona seats) b/c it's worth every penny on resale...

22. ty (360mode)

ty (360mode) Formula Junior

Sep 25, 2002
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Tim
    the power seat option is less than $2k, IIRC, but the point is that for whatever reason, 360 purchasers want power seats. i wonder if the same holds true for 575's??? i would assume so.

23. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    Maybe it's linked more to the cost of retrofitting, which is bound to be higher than the option price.

Gary

24. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna

It's not the power seats themselves, it's the power Daytona seats that are the good sellers. Without power Daytona seats, it's as much as a $10k difference. Furthermore, the sport seats are bad sellers. If someone wants a red/tan 360F1 with sport seats PM me.

25. PaulC

PaulC Formula 3

Feb 11, 2003
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Paul

Although the Porsche seats with the power back but the manual slider is really dumb.

TC the reason the power seats are so desireable is that when the Fcar owner reached down under the front seat, his gold bracelet scratches the leather on the seat. With the power seats he has the ability to rub the gold along his pants giving it a slight polish to impress the ladies as his arm hangs out the window at the stop light.