Cleaning 308 tail light? | FerrariChat

Cleaning 308 tail light?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by pete04222, Nov 17, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. pete04222

pete04222 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Maine, USA
    Full Name:
    Peter Cyr
    The right side red lens is blackened on the inside. I guess over the years the exhaust fumes have gotten inside the drain hole and smoked the plastic. I have the lens out and put in some castrol super clean, let is soak, shook it about, etc. Still dirty.
    Anybody got any tips? I hate to spend $100 on a new lens just because the old one is dirty.

2. BWS550

BWS550 Wants to be a mod

Apr 1, 2002
    NEW JERSEY
    Full Name:
    BRUCE WELLINGTON
    PETE

DONT LAUGH, TRY CLUB SODA, I USED IT ON MY TRS TAIL LIGHT, AND IT WORKED GREAT,,,

BRUCE

3. pete04222

pete04222 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Maine, USA
    Full Name:
    Peter Cyr
    Bruce,
    I'm laughing, but I am sure gonna give it a try!
    I'll let you know how I make out.
    Pete.

4. BWS550

BWS550 Wants to be a mod

Apr 1, 2002
    NEW JERSEY
    Full Name:
    BRUCE WELLINGTON
    JUST POUR IT IN THERE, LET IT SIT FOR 10 MINUTES, POUR IT OUT, AND CLEAN WITH A CLOTH, YOU WILL THANK ME TOMORROW

BRUCE :)

BizJetGuy likes this.
  5. Mike328

Mike328 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 19, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Somebody clue me in on how to REMOVE the taillights... I tried a few months back, and gave up. Yes, I'm clueless, it's true. Just the procedure, please :).

6. Gianluca

Gianluca Formula Junior

May 6, 2003
    Centreville, Virgini
    Full Name:
    Gianluca Chegai
    On the old board, I believe, someone suggested Tilex (?) (stuff for the bathroom tiles) as the "only way" to clean the inside of the tail lights.
    Have not tried it yet, but I am positive I read this.

I have had excellent results with the outside using a clay bar.

Soda sounds good too, though!

7. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Mike,

We came to the conclusion it was a 7mm DEEP SOCKET. See http://www.ferrarichat.com/discus/messages/112/312562.html . You MIGHT want to consider all new gaskets too as the originals are quite old by now (cost about $15 each). ALWAYS glad to be of service.

Enjoy the Drive,

Steven R. Rochlin

8. Mike328

Mike328 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 19, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike

Great info, Steven! Much appreciated... Your (new) tail lights are totally sharp!

9. lou staller

lou staller Formula Junior

Dec 21, 2002
    Orange County Ca
    Full Name:
    Lou Staller
    Steve, you mentioned new tail light gaskets for about $15.00 for a 308, where can I get them? I am also going to try club soda then reinstall the lights but sure would like to install new gaskets. BTW where are you in NJ? I used to live in Paterson then Budd Lake. Now Socal.

10. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Lou,
    Try either Ferrari UK or Allferrariparts.com (Dennis McCann). If Dennis has them, shipping will be much cheaper, but Ferrari UK almost certainly has them.

Birdman

11. pete04222

pete04222 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Maine, USA
    Full Name:
    Peter Cyr
    Bruce,
    I didn't have any club soda but I did have tonic water so I tried that. Let it sit overnight. Didn't work. I'll pick up some club soda and some tilex and give both of those a try. I don't know if the tilex would get the carbon build up off though. I thought I remembered something about using oven cleaner? I can see where that stuff would cut the carbon but I would think it would be harsh on the plastic.

Mike,
    You need a 1/4" drive 7mm deep socket, on just a spinner handle. There are 3 nuts, you can have the lens out in 5 minutes.

12. BWS550

BWS550 Wants to be a mod

Apr 1, 2002
    NEW JERSEY
    Full Name:
    BRUCE WELLINGTON
    pete

IM PRETTY SURE TONIC WATER AND CLUB SODA ARE THE SAME IN THIS MATTER..I HAD A REAR TAIL LIGHT THAT HAD A BUILD UP OF A DARK SUBSTANCE, (PROBABLY THE EXHAUST), WHEN I RECEIVED THE CAR FOR THE FIRST TIME...

MY FRIEND WAS WITH ME, SO HE SUGGESTED TO USE CLUB SODA, I DID. LET IT SIT FOR A WHILE, AND TOOK MY CLOTH AND WIPED IT AWAY......NOW I USE CLUB SODA WHEN CLEANING MY ENGINE COMPARTMENT...

GOOD LUCK,
    BRUCE

13. enjoythemusic

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Mike,

Purchased the gaskets from http://www.ferraripartsexchange.com for $15.42 each. Replaced ALL tail lights/gaskets for around $500 from two sources. This is COMPLETE assemblies and NOT just the lenses. Took about 2 hours to replace ALL tail lights as after removing all lights i carefully washed/clayed/waxed the perviously covered metal surfaces. As a side note, soaked the gaskets in 303 Aerospace Protectant and remember to NOT over tighten the light assembly when reattaching. Just nice and firm, but not 600 lbs. torque tight.

Hope this helps.

Enjoy the Drive,

Steven R. Rochlin

PS: Live in SW N.H. now, though did briefly live in this microtown called Blairstown NJ near RT 60 by the Delaware Water Gap.

14. pete04222

pete04222 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Maine, USA
    Full Name:
    Peter Cyr
    Just tried some Westley's Bleche-White and that didn't do it either. I think I will end up giving Dennis a call and getting another lens.

15. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Steve is correct.

You cannot get "the lens". The whole assembly is glued together to the reflector optics. Good luck cleaning the insides, but if you cannot, just get new ones!

The lens will be noticably brighter, and the old lenses look cool as ash trays on your shop counter, for the Macanudos.

Speedy for President.

16. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    BTW,
    Club soda & tonic water have a major difference: Tonic water has a lot of sugar in it & will leave a nice sticky sugar film. Club soda is just water with carbonation & sometimes some trace minerals added to enhance the flavor. It won't leave a residue.

Try soaking for a few hours with a 50-50 mix of simple green & warm water, then rinsing with clear water followed by club soda. The carbonation in the soda gets into cracks & bubbles stuff loose. However, if the deposits are oil based, you need something like the simple green that will emulsify the oil.

I suspect that diluted citrus solvent would be safe & would do a great job,but hesitate to recommend it as I don't have much experience with it & plastics.

Helpfully,

17. Owens84QV

Owens84QV F1 Rookie

Oct 2, 2001
    Somewhere in NC
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Steven...where in SW N.H.? I used to live in Keene...

18. enjoythemusic

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Ownes,

PM e-mail sent

19. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    intake and throttle body cleaner. put some on a q tip and touch a small are first to be SURE it wont hurt the plastic ( i dont want to be killed by you guys for ruining tail lights!) anyway i have used this stuff on various plastic surfaces of the many muscle cars ( ok some were junk ) ive had. rinse with soap & water ( tonic ???? )

20. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    oops thats " club soda" duh.

21. pete04222

pete04222 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Maine, USA
    Full Name:
    Peter Cyr
    OK........ Tried everything. I'm buying a new taillight.

22. enjoythemusic

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Pete,

That was my conclusion too. Did ALL new lights/assemblies all around. Did the same for all emblems as well. Heck, it's only money and they make more of it everyday than they do Ferrari cars...

We want pics when you are done :)

Enjoy the Drive,

Steven R. Rochlin

23. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Pete, I'd agree with Steven and replace them all...the new one will really stand out from the other three....seen it before...and new sure looks nice! :)

24. ricksmastermix

Apr 16, 2004
    Commerce, GA
    Full Name:
    Rick Beem
    Where can you find a replacement lens? I could use a set.
    Thanks.

25. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Read the whole thread. It comes as a unit. About $200.00 each.

They don't come apart! In reusable condition, anyway!