If I took a job in Alexandria, VA... | FerrariChat

If I took a job in Alexandria, VA...

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by karmavore, Mar 17, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. karmavore

karmavore Formula 3

Dec 29, 2002
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Karmavore
    how far from the city would I have to live to buy a nice (preferably older) 2 bedroom home with a two car garage for <= $300,000, and where would it be?

Luke.

2. fanatic1

fanatic1 Guest

Nov 1, 2003
    columbus
    Full Name:
    philip
    When you say "the city" do you mean D.C or from Alexadria........you can get a nice townhome just a 15 -20 miles away for 300k........if you're talking about a real house with a yard and a newer home you're probably gonna be 35 - 40 miles away..........but you know with real estate, there are deals everywhere................but keep in mind in that area 15 miles can be 2 hours with traffic..................

lived in Alexandria area most of my life.

3. karmavore

karmavore Formula 3

Dec 29, 2002
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Karmavore
    Job would be in downtown Alexandria.

I'd much prefer a commute to a condo with, heaven forbid, no garge and no yard! What's the nicest/hippest and closest area I should start a real estate search in?

Luke.

4. Juice It

Juice It F1 Rookie

Sep 22, 2002
    Maryland (DC Suburb)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    If you are young and single I would say forget the land and look in Arlington or Old Town for a townhouse. If you must have a single family you could try Hollin Hills in Alexandria. They have some smaller homes you may be able to swing.

5. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    Is there anything between say, Belle Haven and Mount Vernon, that would fit the bill?

6. Juice It

Juice It F1 Rookie

Sep 22, 2002
    Maryland (DC Suburb)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Hollin Hills is off the parkway between Belle Haven and Mt.Vernon. Pretty nice area. 300k would be a real stretch but maybe. Right off Fort Hunt road.

7. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    OK, thanks - it does seem like a nice area, good advice. $300k for a single family home near the Beltway - I don't know ...

8. karmavore

karmavore Formula 3

Dec 29, 2002
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Karmavore
    Yikes... cost of living might out way the $$ gain. I'll check out these areas online.

What about "transitional" neighborhoods? Any cheap enough but safe enough (to have nice things and nice cars)?

Luke.

9. karmavore

karmavore Formula 3

Dec 29, 2002
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Karmavore
    How Ghetto is this address:

1004 RHODE ISLAND AVE NE

10. cairns

cairns Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2003
    Potomac MD
    Full Name:
    George Williams
    Fairly ghetto but moving up. Within a few years you're talking gentrified and expensive. I think DC just over the "gentrified" border would be your best bet both for commuting (you'd be going against traffic and could take Metro if you wished) and long term investment.

The 14th and Rhode Island (three blocks away) area used to be a haven for prostitutes and drug sales. It is now decidedly upscale and expensive. I lived there when it was still "ghetto"- and it really wasn't bad at all. But I did arrive at a murder scene shortly after it happened one night. That wasn't pretty.

Find a good real estate agent familiar with DC. You don't (IMO) want to be commuting from Springfield or other I-95 venues. That's no way to live.

11. karmavore

karmavore Formula 3

Dec 29, 2002
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Karmavore
  12. wfo900

wfo900 Formula Junior

Aug 19, 2003
    Annapolis
    Full Name:
    Rich C
    You can get something in Alexandria City for around that if you look hard. It would be so much nicer to live in Alexandria City than the outer burbs. The commute just absolutely sucks. I've done that and I ain't leaving Old Town again!

13. karmavore

karmavore Formula 3

Dec 29, 2002
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Karmavore
    If I could take a train to work, that would rule!