Im basically blown away.... | FerrariChat

Im basically blown away....

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Tspringer, Mar 18, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    The generosity of some folks on this board has been well documented by others, but I have recently been the recipient of something I found truely amazing.

Some time back the discussion of magazine articles came up. Being a Daytona fanatic, I was interested in articles on this model. Well.... Miltonian contacted me saying he had a magazine collection going back over 35 years and was pretty sure he had just about every article ever done on the Daytona.

Then he said he would like to make me copies. Not only copies... he had all of the articles scanned to disc. With all the photos. In both 100dpi and 300dpi formats. With a detailed index. All the pages are formatted for proper printing.

When I got this disc in the mail and took a look at it, I was floored. This took TONS of time and effort.

So, To Jeff Burk (aka Miltonian here) THANK YOU! I am printing all of the article out in color. Then I will arrange them in a 3 ring binder that also has all the build sheets and heritage certificate of my car, 28 years worth of maintenance receipts, photos documenting the cars history and a photo spread of the car today. Then.... this Daytona monstrosity will sit on my Coffee table in my office!

HEre is one pic from a Car and Driver article in 1970 that is great:

Oh well.... no pic. Even the 100dpi pic is over 300k and this board wont allow over 100k.... so unless someone knows how to shrink these things I wont get to share them :(

Terry

2. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Terry, you can email them to me, i'll shrink them... That is REALLY cool...

Jeff, you're a real class act... Very, very nice of you... Very awesome... These place rocks...

3. rodsky

rodsky Formula 3

Mar 24, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Awesome act of kindness. But why the frowny face in your message title - Terry? Or is that a bewildered face?

4. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002

It was supposed to be in the body of the message relative to not being able to post the pics.... now I cant remove it. Oh well...... internet error.

Terry

5. rodsky

rodsky Formula 3

Mar 24, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Gotcha man- That's too funny. If you have Adobe Photoshop or a similar program - you can use it to reduce the size of a Photo so that it drops below 200K (I think thats the limit)..

Either way - that is certainly a great item for your coffee table - make 2 copies and put one in a safe..

6. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    There you go.

7. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    Wonderful gesture. Would love to see some pics when you have shrunk them. :)

8. Greg G

Greg G F1 Rookie

Awesome - Jeff Burk is a class act! I love to share my auto passion, especially when its reciprocated. I can tell Terry truly appreciates all aspects of his gorgeous Daytona.

9. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Now that he's been Knighted, "that's Sir Miltonian to you, pal."

Look forward to the pics.

10. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    NNO / DES......

I sent you a PM email thingy. Included my email address. Email me and Ill attack the pics in a reply. I tried but could not figure any way to shrink them.

[email protected]

Terry

11. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Sorry about the wait...

Without further adieu...

12. coachi

coachi Formula 3

May 1, 2002
    SC USA
    ok Terry , from one daytona fanatic to another, what would it take to get a copy of that CD> I will pay a reasonable price...I loveall things daytona

13. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    i was thinking the same thing... :)

14. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    Not a problem.... I got a burner! My email address is above. Shoot me off your full mailing address and such and Ill get a copy on the way.

You really will be impressed. On the pages where a picture is presented across the full 2 pages, he scanned the full 2 pages to avoid breaking up the photos, and then he also scanned each page individually so the text is easily legible. Totally a first class job!

I have something like 35 different complete articles and its 298 total pages!

Terry

15. Mickey

Mickey Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2004
    Linnet Drive
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Yes, no doubt about that.

Jeff (Miltonian) is truly a star. He has also given me a few very valuable advice. His enthusiasm and eagerness to help others is something we should look upon and learn from.

I am grateful to him.

All the best to you Jeff.

Mickey

16. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    Wow, what an ego trip! Thanks for the kind words, people.

My original intent in making this offer to Terry was to learn how to do something useful on the computer, to make some of these old articles available to those who haven't been collecting them for years. Well, good intentions aside, all I was able to do was to look through my stuff and pick out as much Daytona material as possible. Then it sat in a stack for months.

My brother bailed me out, and he gets 110% credit for figuring out how to make this project a reality, for taking the time to experiment with dozens of ways to do it, for scanning all of the material, for putting it onto a disc, and making the copy. All I could do was say "uh, thanks". My computer expertise amounts to being able to participate in FerrariChat and play solitaire.

I don't claim that I included every Daytona article ever written, but it makes me enormously pleased that I was able to provide Terry with so much material that was new to him. If that makes me a copyright pirate, all I can say is "Aaaargh, matey"!!

17. Zinhead

Zinhead Karting

Feb 29, 2004
    Chicago, USA
    Wow, those articles bring back memories. When I was growing up, my local public library had a full catalog of R&T and C&D going back to the early 1960's. I would spend hours leafing through old magazines reading about old cars when they were new. Of course, my parents thought I was studying. :)

You can find alot of older British car magazines at www.ewabooks.com. For instance, here are two that feature the Daytona in a cover shot:

http://www.ewa1.com/cgi-bin/sshp/shop.cgi?ud=BQIHCAkOCg4JBRQVER0VHQYIDQAFAQQIAAgWHAAA&storeid=1&sortby=sortcode&searchtext=ferrari&cols=1&&c=detail.htm&itemid=MHCS0005

http://www.ewa1.com/cgi-bin/sshp/shop.cgi?ud=BAEACAkOCg4JBRQVER0VHQoIDQAFAQQIAAgWHAAA&storeid=1&sortby=sortcode&searchtext=ferrari&cols=1&&c=detail.htm&itemid=MHCS9502

I would appreciate a copy of the CD if possible.

18. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    Zinhead....

My email address is above. Send me an email with your name and address and Ill send you a copy.

The disc has both of the articles from the issues you posted links too. The only articles on the Daytona I know of that are not here are a couple from Forza and the Cavallino articles.

Anyone else who wants a copy.... email me. Ill send out copies until I run out of discs.

Dunno if this is a copywrite problem? Nobody is failing to give credit to the authors and nobody is charging anything and well, I'll stop if a lawyer starts threatening me. Im sure most of these issues are long out of print.

Terry

19. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Way off track here, but Terry, why is your post-count stuck at 999? I'm guessing tax reasons. Very cool pics by the way.

20. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002

Wow, I hadnt noticed? Wonder how long its been stuck like that. Hey... maybe this is a good thing! In some strange twilight zone type cosmic mixup aging is tied to the post count on AGW? Post count gets stuck and I age no more?

Terry

21. 355now350soon

355now350soon Karting

Mar 19, 2004
    I do not like the Lambos but the Miura is a much much better car then the daytona. Daytona coupe looks like a datsun to me. I've seen it in person and it's a joke. What a waste of money. Just think of the cars you can buy for that much money. Gives Ferrari a bad name and does not deserve the name.

22. Tyson

Tyson Formula Junior

Jun 5, 2003
    Idaho

23. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    Two of the articles included in the disc Jeff sent me were in depth comparison of the Muira vs Daytona. This direct comparison is also made 3 additional articles from the period when the cars were new. ALL of the articles that address this comparison come to the same conclusion.

Road and Track from 1970 probably summarizes it best:

"You can call the Daytona the best sportscar in the world. Or you can call it the best GT. Doesnt matter: its both"

Another great Daytona quote I read was from Mike Sheehan. Asked why he thinks the Daytona is so great, he says its simple: "60 in first, 85 in second, 119 in third, 148 in fourth and one more gear to go!"

Then again all of this kind of stuff wont matter one whit to you. There is no accounting for tastes, style and class. Or the total lack of any of these.

Also...... your post is baloney. I recognize a troll from a mile away. Dont try and set that hook.... cause there is NO fish on the end.

Terry

24. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Not to worry. In a few hours, the one day ban will be over and our little friend here will be back to being good 'ol Allanlambo again!

DL