any pics of a lowered 348 or 355 out there? | FerrariChat

any pics of a lowered 348 or 355 out there?

Discussion in '348/355' started by NYJETSFAN, Mar 17, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. NYJETSFAN

NYJETSFAN Formula 3

May 11, 2001
    Kalifornia
    Full Name:
    Jr
    I just wanna see how they look lowered, so don`t beat me up guys cuz you think that they are low enough, I am just curious! thanks alot........

2. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    Just got my 348 challenge yesterday!!!! Drove it 80 Miles on the street, full race set up with track exhaust. Yes it is very very low, and mean. I will post pictures soon.

3. NYJETSFAN

NYJETSFAN Formula 3

May 11, 2001
    Kalifornia
    Full Name:
    Jr
    ANY WEB SITES????

4. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    Go to Cavallino motors out of miami, look at sold cars, there is one there. I was interested in that car, but it feel off a flat bed truck. Also, you can see the same car if you go to Southern California under regions, type in 348 under search, or go to the post from around oct, november to jan, feb this year and look for the Crystle Cove pics.

5. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    #5 ghost, Mar 17, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  6. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna

I coud be wrong but it looks stock to me.

7. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Could be Ryan; I just thought the rear looked lower than usual. But again, I may be wrong.

8. hanknum

hanknum Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Santa Barbara
    Full Name:
    Henry
    Check with Byron

I think he is under Bmyth. You can find him under the So. Cal section.

9. felix66

felix66 Karting

Feb 21, 2004
    London
    #9 felix66, Mar 18, 2004
  10. Ira Schwartz

Ira Schwartz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2003
    Brooklandville, MD
    Full Name:
    Ira Schwartz
    JDAVID: I too have a 348C race car that I occasionally drive on the street (mostly to and from the track)- see profile photo. Do post photos of yours.

11. Bmyth-FDC

Bmyth-FDC F1 Rookie

Oct 4, 2002
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Byron
    Here is my 348 Challenge... it is lowered with the challenge suspension...

12. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
    Very nice... are those F50 wheels?

13. 93B18

93B18 Rookie

Jan 7, 2004
    I like the height with the Eibachs on the red one. Nice job. How's the ride quality?

What does the Challenge suspension lower to? Can anyone comment on the ride quality comparison vs stock? TIA.

14. Andy hls

Andy hls Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2003
    Kent UK
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Do you guys not have a problem with hitting the wheel arch mine was lowered 25 mm and it hit when cornering hard I have race springs fitted.

348 TS

Andy.

15. F1racer

F1racer F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2003
    Laval
    Full Name:
    Jean
    I think there's a young Ferrari owner on f-chat that just got a F355 not too long ago and lowered his car. He posted a picture before I think.

16. racer_f50

racer_f50 Rookie

Dec 25, 2003
    SD, USA
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #16 racer_f50, Mar 18, 2004
    don't appear to be. F50 wheels are quite different. i've attached a pic of them so you can compare.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. JimSchad

JimSchad Guest

not f50, believe they are by Dazz Motorsports.

18. Avia1

Avia1 Rookie

Nov 14, 2003
    I'm not sure if the Ferrari tuner Iding is still around. Originally from Japan, then when Japanese market tanked, he moved operations to Germany 96/97 and then European market tanked. He did some really trick stuff to the 355. Lightweight engine parts, etc... He also tuned an E36 M3 as well. Dazz Motorsports was the importer for Iding for a couple of years.

19. nzo4re

nzo4re Karting

Mar 13, 2003
    San Jose, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom Lassen
    Why?

Isn't the way the factory sets these cars up good enough?
    If you want a boulevard cruiser, get a Honda.

20. NYJETSFAN

NYJETSFAN Formula 3

May 11, 2001
    Kalifornia
    Full Name:
    Jr
    thats why I asked for pics only!
    why would you want to lower a honda anyways?

21. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    I don't know. But we can ask the thousands of people that do.

22. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Uhhhhh enzo4re,

Noooooo. The way the factory set the car up sucks. The cars handle way better when they are lower. It drops the center of gravity. The other problem the early 348's had from the "factory" was a high speed stability problem. But that was due to the rear wheel offset more that the height. Lowering the ride height of the cars helps with this problem. Alot of these kids on the street lower their cars because it look "cool", yet don't even have the car realigned after it is dropped. Yes the cars look more agressive lowered. But the real reason you drop a car is to improve the handling, especially with a 348. The looks are secondary.

23. Bmyth-FDC

Bmyth-FDC F1 Rookie

Oct 4, 2002
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Byron

Thanks for the compliments!

The ride quality was perfectly fine - worked well as a daily driver and as a weekend track car! :) I'm not sure how much it lowers it to, but my front lip was 3.5" off the ground... compare that to the stock 6.5 inches. But the car still sits only about 4 in. off the ground for ground clearance. The suspension was significantly tighter (perhaps dampening) than the stock suspension.

Also, ANDY - there was no rubbing... only scraping of my fiberglass bumpers against the asphault! :)

Byron

24. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    All this lowering depends really on your wheel tire combo. Here is a littel comparison. As an example Byron and I have cars set up pretty closely. But Byron's 348C wheels are not ofset as wide as the 355C wheels on my car. He ran 35 profile tires in the rear I think 255's and 225 or 235 in the front. So with the inset offset he is able to sink the tires within the fenders and get really low. I think his car was average 95mm from the frame to the ground. I OTOH run the wider offset 355C wheels and 245 fronts and 305 660 18 rears so I can almost hit the rear tires to Fenders. You can't stick your pinky between my tire and fender and I am average 118mm off the ground. I can get lower in the front but then I upset the chassis rake. Interestingly the 348's are set up well for lowering. There seems to be no bumpsteer with these cars at any height. So lower away and get a 4 wheel alignment. Often times you have to do the compromise that Byron and I have taken narrower tires for more lowering vs wider tires and a higher chassis. On the track we are very even. Byron says I'm faster than he is on the track if I can get ahead of him but I can't seem to get past him so I don't really think so. The cars are basically the same so the differences must be driver and suspension. I'm not sure how hard Byron is pushing on the track. I push maybe 80% another secret to my car's long life and minimal maintenance issues running as a track car. Also, I'm a chicken so I take no chances. Our straight away acceleration seems dead even dispite the large differences in tire diameters but I am a bit lighter. We ran similar exhausts. He had a challenge exahust and hollow cats. I ran a copy of B's challenge exhaust from cannibalized Ferrari exhaust parts and one hollow cat one filled cat. That's another story. I do not street my car but the problem with lowered 348's is that they scrape everything. I run really stiff springs and revalved shocks for racing from Rob Shermerhorn on this board and the ride is very streetable. In fact if my car would handle better with even stiffer stuff the chassis would have a long way to go before it would feel like a late 80's c4 corvette...no teeth rattling here.

25. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Iforgot one think if you stiffen up your springs you can lower the cr more because stiff springs are harder to bottom. It you run stock soft springs and your car bottoms in turn you will upset your handling which is worse than beeing too high.