To Phily from Texas | FerrariChat

To Phily from Texas

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic Region - USA (PA, DE, MD, DC, VA)' started by Uberpower, Mar 9, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Uberpower

Uberpower Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 6, 2004
    Hi all-

I am coming to Philadelphia on 3/17 for a night, wondering where to go... what to do. Leaving the following afternoon.

I will be staying on Arch street, which I gather is right in downtown?

Never been before, looking for a good cheese steak! ;)

Respectfully,

Nick

2. VWH3RD

VWH3RD Formula Junior

Jan 22, 2003
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    There is only ONE place to get a philly cheesesteak JIMS STEAKS on 4th and South street.

I drive from my office in NJ about once a month to Jims. It is the only place I will eat a cheesestaek!

What to do at night is not so easy, I am waiting to see what some people will suggest.

Vernon

3. Alxlee

Alxlee F1 Rookie

Apr 8, 2002
    Wilmington, DE
    Full Name:
    Alex Lee
    Hmmmm, I've never tried Jim's before. I prefer Geno's, whiz, onions {step aside - think soup nazi episode from seinfeld}

What are you into? Clubs, hanging out, sight seeing, fine dining?

Man, that's a short trip!

4. Uberpower

Uberpower Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 6, 2004

Okay- change of plans, will be there from the 25th-27th. I like to go to nice bars that are not WAY too loud, and hang out with interesting people. If I can't find interesting people, I'll just go to some tourist-type places and watch pay-per view in my room and drink at the overpriced, yet still awful hotel bar. blah. not my first choice obviously.

Thanks for the help,

Nick

5. Alxlee

Alxlee F1 Rookie

Apr 8, 2002
    Wilmington, DE
    Full Name:
    Alex Lee
    Bars, no clubs, then Old City is where you'll want to go. Ehhh, as for not too loud, that's a little tougher. What hotel/area are you staying at?

6. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

South Street and Head House Square are always interesting, and in the same general area as the Libery Bell, so, you could do a grand tour, visit the oddities on South Street, which has some interesting places and people, and then swing to Head House for dinner/drinks. Just grab a cab from south street.

http://www.south-street.com/

Downey's on Head House Square.

Downey's Restaurant
    526 South Front Street
    Philadelphia,Pa,19147
    Phone : 215 625 9500

Oh, and for a cheese steak, PAT's or Gino's 9th and passyunk. To be a real local go to PAT's order a "Cheese With" That's a cheese steak with fried onions. You put on the rest. Don't go before 2:00 AM, that's when the fun starts down there. Cops, hookers, drunks and an assortment of college kids all looking for a cheese with. Oh, "plain with" if you don't want cheese.

Enjoy!!!

Oh, and there is a home Flyers game on the 25th. Grab your tickets and catch real sports fans while you're here.

7. VWH3RD

VWH3RD Formula Junior

Jan 22, 2003
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    Nick

don't listen to anyone who tells you to go to Pats or Gino's. Those to steaks are garbage compared to Jim's.

I agree with everything else these guys are saying

8. Uberpower

Uberpower Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 6, 2004

Ha! I'd go just for the drunken scenery. I love dive bars/hole in the wall places that locals like to go.

P.S.
    You could give me a French Dip and pass it off as a cheese steak and I wouldn't know the difference. Also- I detest onions... any hope for me?

Thanks,

Nick

9. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nick.

Just Order a "Cheese Without"~~~!!!

No shame in Philly about not liking onions, we accept all types of cheese steak fans.

PAT'S or GINO'S. It's not just about the taste of the steak, it's about the cheessteak experience, and there's none better than being at Pat's or Gino's at 3:00 in the morning.

Enjoy,

Dave

10. MikeZ_NJ

MikeZ_NJ Formula 3

Dec 10, 2002
    Southern NJ
    Full Name:
    Mike Z.
    Ah, the great cheesesteak debate.

I LOVE Jim's... used to go there every Monday and Wednesday when I worked in Philly one summer in High School. By far the best tasting.

Pats and Ginos are an experience, though. Very interesting at 3am. I saw a huge Escalade back into a crowd, Lizzie Grubman style, before that whole thing was popular. I'm partial to Pats. Good, not great, but I love the atmosphere.

Here's an idea - check out Jim's for lunch, hang out on South Street for a while, go out for dinner, have a few drinks, then head to Pats after midnight. 2 cheesesteaks in one day!

Being part of the younger "scene", we go to Finnegan's Wake a lot. Probably not your type of place (pretty loud), but they have some good bands every once in a while - I was there last weekend. Back in college, I spent a lot of weekends at Villanova, and many a Friday or Saturday night, a few of us used to head over to this jazz club called Chris' a lot. Cool place, tiny, nice atmosphere, good music if you're into it. There's always Manayunk, too, but I think you should be able to find someplace to go in Philly.

BTW, I'm a "cheese without" guy. :)

11. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Cheese without!

I was a "plain with" guy myself.

But did you add some of those good South Philly Italian hot peppers to it? The peppers are the best part of the trip, they burn all the way down, and repeat for about 6 hours. If you don't have a fair amount of general anestetic in you, they can burn bad enough to cause a minor emergency.

And with it being PA, and after 2:00 AM, better be sure to stick a six pack in the car to dilute some of the grease after you eat, all the while remembering that drinking in public is a no-no up here.

Ahh....... those were the days.

I'm a little long in the tooth for this stuff. Now my kids head down there for fun.

12. Alxlee

Alxlee F1 Rookie

Apr 8, 2002
    Wilmington, DE
    Full Name:
    Alex Lee
    Just made a run this Monday night actually. Went to Gino's, whiz with along with some hot sauce and peppers, oh yeah! Then my friend decided he was still hungry so off to Lorenzo's for pizza. Don't forget the cheese fries...although we were debating whether or not they were actually made out of potato or powder!

13. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Powder!!!!

Reconstituted potatoes and cheez whiz. Nothing better.

too bad you didn't make a side trip for additional food to PAT'S. If you were still hungry, why not?

And, no hoagie?? There had to be a hoagie shop nearby!!!

Well, next time, go cheese steak hoagie and kill two birds with one stone. EXCEPT you'll never get one at Ginos or pats.