G-Timer and G-Tech | FerrariChat

G-Timer and G-Tech

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by 410SA, Nov 17, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    Does anyone use these great toys? I have them both and they are unbelievably wicked fun. The GTech is more feature laden than the GTimer, but for acceleration runs the GTimer is easy to use as long as it is mounted in the center of the windshield and reasonably level.

I originally used the GTimer in my S55 and recorded some blistering 0-60 runs along PCH at Crystal Cove (Newport Beach CA). a best of 4.40 and a whole bunch more between 4.42 and 4.63.

I finally mounted it in the 575 and took one run in Phoenix, south on 56th St. between Cactus and Shea. It looks flat and is a mile between traffic lights, dead straight. A perfect road. In retrospect it may be a very slight downhill grade from N to S. Very early in the morning on Sunday. Not a soul around. Anyway my first run out the box was 3.97 - traction off, sport mode on shift at 7500 (F1). What a rush!

2. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    alex - i've been considering buying one of these thingies.

interesting data on the gtimer. do you use the GT-1 or GT-2? if the latter, is the remote control thingy useful or just hype?

4.40 in the S55 is very impressive! apparently Maranello + S55 is a not-uncommon ownership situation - amusing.

doody.

3. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    I have the GT2 and the remote operation is a button on the plug which is handy. It allows you to scroll through the various modes as well as set the GT2 to get ready to record an acceleration run.

It's too much fun!

Re the S55 - this is probably the perfect stealth car. Fast as almost anything out there and room for the whole family and mucho cargo. We use it to go between AZ and CA, always with too much stuff and it just flies, even fully loaded. The 575 is just the perfect two seater GT. I bought it with some hesitation but now that I drive it almost every day I would never give it up. The review in Money magazine was spot on. It's worth its price to the lucky few who can get one.

4. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    gtech is not bad, but not that accurate either, good ballpark figures.

All I know is the little plastic jesus clings to it for dear life when I do 1/4 mile runs.

5. Hubert

Hubert F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2002
    The Left Coast
    How funny, I brake when I see Jesus...

6. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    testshoot - they claim extreme accuracy. is the g-timer gt2 more accurate than the gtechpro?

doody.

7. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Since I still haven't found a place to actually weigh my car, the G-Tech is still laying in its box unused. What a shame.

8. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    Great stuff! Compensate for grade by running in both directions and averaging.

Gary

9. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    i have the one from www.tazzo.com and its great too. does acceleration, braking, lat g's, and hp calculations that were exact to dyno stats i also had done. a must for before and after testing of mods.

10. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    Sadly more bells and whistles on one than the other, and packaging, they are roughly the same. I find that the numbers they produce to seem faster than the car really is.

IE: 345hp 332lbft
    Car: 1966 p1800s RHD (~1800lbs)
    inline4, 16v, 2.6l, turbo
    Wheels: Koenig Toxxin 16" on Goodyear gatorbacks

Gtech says 0-60 in 5.0 @71deg F (avg run on Terminal Island)
    Track boys at Pomona say 5.3 @70deg F (Gtechpro read 5.1)
    In Quogue (NY) they say 5.4 @80deg F (Gtech read same)

Now when I plugged in the Gtech, boy I sure did tell everyone 5-flat, but really I had to do track time to put it to bed. I have since blown the 16v head and went back to stock 2.3l turbo.

Alex said his 575 was pulling sub 4 second runs. Didn't the factory state 4.2 or something? Unless he did some tuning, I think he has been duped, because it is not like them to understate performance, rather just the opposite.

11. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    in fact, those S55 and 575 numbers both seem to me to be "off" of factory specs by the same amount - 2.5s to 3.0s.

doody.

12. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    Some clarification is necessary before someone extrapolates an entire road test from one run. The 3.97 that the GT2 showed was on 56th St heading south. It probably is a slight downhill, the weather was perfect (cool - 52 degrees or so) and the car was as light as it could be (low fuel). The suggestion that I also measure the run from the other direction is valid and this weekend I will. I expect it will be different because of the grade.

The 4.4 in the S55 I believe is real, as we did even better times at the AMG day at California Speedway on Aug 15. In the hands of a skilled professional driver both the S55 and SL55 did 4.3's and the E55 did 4.2.

The road test numbers you read in magazines and the like are never actual numbers. Rather they are actual numbers modified by an algorithm to "even out" weather, track conditions, traction etc, to produce a "best case" scenario.

Doody, don't sell your S55 short. That beast gets very little media attention, but it will blow off just about anything out there because it does it simply by flattening the gas pedal, while everyone else is hunting for gears and missing redlines.

13. cohiba_man

cohiba_man Formula Junior

Jan 23, 2003
    Canada
    Full Name:
    John
    I think I'll pick one of these things up!

14. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    Are you looking to get stats for fun or become a better driver? http://www.extremegeez.com/

Incredible toy. Not as user friendly but far superior than G-Tech anything. You can find the 'Cube on E-Bay for a hundred, maybe a little more, off retail. I'm on the fence, a G-Tech will do me nicely until I get a real car and then I think I'm going to want to learn how to drive it correctly and might wait to get the GEEZ instead. Its overkill for my beater even at 10/10ths.

Sunny

15. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    This was in the FCA News ads a few months back. I don't know if the special deal is still available:

G-Tech Pro Accelerometer - The perfect tool to measure your Ferrari’s performance. The G-TECH/Pro is an electronic Performance Meter for automobiles. Designed to make a professional test driver out of anybody, all you have to do is plug it in a cigarette lighter, mount it to the windshield and start accelerating. G-TECH/Pro does the rest automatically and displays the results of acceleration, stopping deceleration, and/or lateral and longitudinal G-forces. It's a great way to get performance and safety information about your car. Input your car's weight and you can also get a display of delivered rear-wheel HP. Detailed info is at gtechpro.com. This unit sells there for $139.95 but a limited quantity is available for FCA members at $59.95 if you order by calling 1.800.323.5966 ext. 105 and ask for Nate. 100% satisfaction guaranteed, or return for a full refund.

16. rexrcr

rexrcr Formula 3

Nov 27, 2002
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Full Name:
    Rob Schermerhorn
  17. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Good point Rex. Have to do that next time I'm at either place. Thanks for reminding me.

18. dan360

dan360 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2003
    Boston
    Interestingly there would now seem to be a GTech Pro Competition model which claims ever better accuracy...

http://www.gtechpro.com/gtechprocomp_accuracy.html

250 bucks though. I'm such a sucker for gadgets, although having just splurged on a new Digital SLR, I'm sure I'd receive trouble @ home for another such toy purchase.

19. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    BLASPHEMY!!!

Gadgets? hmm.. I convinced my girlfriend they are necessary automotive calibration tools for timing and traction control inorder to achieve optimal performance from my finely tuned autos.

"you want your car to run right don't you?"
    "yes but is it wise to use the handbrake while making turns in my hyundai?"
    "how else am I supposed to know about the cornering ability? I would not want you to flip!"

20. 348 Turbo

348 Turbo Formula 3

Jul 17, 2002