Stealthy license plate covers | FerrariChat

Stealthy license plate covers

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by UroTrash, Mar 18, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Has anyone used one of those clear license plate covers that distort the plate when viewed from a slight angle (to foil photo ticketing)? How common are those cameras in the USA? Are those plate covers illegal? Do they upset our civil servants?

mdstrib

2. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Where I live pretty much every intersection now has the Cameras on them. It sucks, I dont know if those plate cover things work though so I cant answer the rest of your question.

3. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
    What would be really cool is to have the James Bond button where your license plate flips to another plate!

4. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    They did that once in an episode of Knight Rider, too...

5. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Any license plate cover is illegal in Cali.

6. LAfun2

LAfun2 Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

I wonder what is legal in CA anymore. We seem to live in the most constricted auto law society in the US! I think driving with your windows down, wind in your hair, resting your arm on the door is illegal too!

LOL

7. MikeZ_NJ

MikeZ_NJ Formula 3

Dec 10, 2002
    Southern NJ
    Full Name:
    Mike Z.
  8. miked

miked Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2001
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Anything that threatens a cop's or any other big government bureaucrat's ability to maintain complete power and total control is, or soon will be, illegal. As long as there is big money to be made with the cameras, they will pop up everywhere.
    I always though that a license plate cover made with the glass that turns "frosted" with an electrical current would work great.

9. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat

Something would have to trigger the current, how would that work? These plate covers really do distort the numbers at about 15 degrees so I can't see how they wouldn't work. I just wonder how pi$$ed the local constable would be at a stop...

BTW in the scooter rags in the classifieds someone sells a kit that flips up a bike's plate at the push of a button, but again, requires input. I think a totally passive device would be better.

mdstrib

10. aawil

aawil Formula 3

Aug 10, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    I heard those plates don't actually work.When you reverse the image the numbers shows up anyway.That's what i read somewhere anyway.

11. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
    Des, like your new avatar.. not as cool as the GTO but cool nonetheless. Post whore, that's a riot ! LOL

12. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Thanks, Al... Actually, my previous avatar was The Breadvan, which wasn't a GTO; The Breadvan, s/n 2819 originally began life as a 1961-1962 250 GT SWB and became a drogo rebody, commissioned by Count Volpi, to compete at Le Mans AGAINST Ferrari... The engine was also a 250 GT SWB engine but with some 250 GTO modifications
    The car lost Le Mans the year Volpi entered it, beat by s/n 0808, a Ferrari 330 TRI/LM... That same 330 TRI/LM is now owned by Jim Spiro of New Orleans... The Breadvan is now owned by Monte Shalet, also of New Orleans... They're good friends... Awesome story...

Although The Breadvan lost to Ferrari's 330, it has an impressive race history... The car has traded hands a few times over the last 40 years and even spent some time in California, being driven late at night, for hours, just for fun... Riding shot gun in The Breadvan around The Grand Bayou Raceway with John Houghtaling at the wheel was something i'll never forget; it takes little concentration to recall the bone-stiffening noise emanating from those side pipes... Truly a wonderful experience...

13. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
    How come you get to do all the cool stuff? LOL

14. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    LOL...! Early last year, John Houghtaling invited me down to the annual Ferrari French Quarter Classic; of course i accepted and riding in The Breadvan was just one of the many things i was privy to... i'm extraordinarily lucky, to say the least... Why...? i really have no idea... i don't look a (prancing) gift horse in the mouth, though... :)

15. robiferretti

robiferretti F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    NYC area
    Full Name:
    rob ferretti
    There is a plate cover out there called a "stealth plate" but I cant find out how to buy it anymore. It was a liscense plate cover that is perfectly clear, but when you push a button becomes completely white, cant see it if you shine a light against it! Wish i could find that. If you wanna know what i am talking about check out the movie spy game, same principle