So long, Farewell, I've come to say goodbye... | FerrariChat

So long, Farewell, I've come to say goodbye...

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by Bmyth-FDC, Mar 18, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bmyth-FDC

Bmyth-FDC F1 Rookie

Oct 4, 2002
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Byron
    Ok well, not me... but my car. So it's final - as of today, my car has been sold. The new owner (who I will keep unnamed for now) will be bringing the car to life again and continue driving it as Enzo intended it!

Right now, the car is still at FX Performance (for your viewing pleasure) but will be on a truck next week to the Pacific Northwest.

Thanks for all the memories everyone... I will keep you all posted on my imminent replacement. :)

Here are some kodak moments I'd like to share with everyone from when she arrived to the last weekend with it...

Thanks,
    Byron

2. Sting

Sting Karting

Mar 2, 2004
    Full Name:
    Edmund Maino
    Very nice car. How did you like owning the 348? Did the car give you problems of was it trouble free? How expensive was this car to maintain?

Sorry for all the questions, it is just that the 348 is the only F-car that I could afford right now. There is no better way to get a feel about a car then by asking an owner of one how it was/is.

3. EVartanian

EVartanian Formula 3

Mar 19, 2002
    Sunny SoCal
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Arrivederci e buona fortuna! :)

Byron, much luck with the coming "replacement." I am excited.

Eric

4. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    Brought a tear to my eye. Such a beautiful car. And I still fantasize about that sound...

Well, I'm glad it's going to a good home. I can't wait to see your next beast.

Dom

5. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    On to the next - It's a shame about the 348, but the next one will make up for it. Glad to see it's the car that's going & not you!

6. Bmyth-FDC

Bmyth-FDC F1 Rookie

Oct 4, 2002
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Byron
    Sting,
    I loved that car (and still do). It is SO much fun to drive! The car wasn't completely problem free, since it was a former challenge car. However, in the last year, I think I did just about everything (and spent about every dollar!) to make it bulletproof and work out all the issues. I had the 30k done with cam bearing update, water pump replacement, belts, tensioners, everything... put in a fresh new rebuilt tranny, repacked my flywheel, put in new rotors and race pads, aligned the car, and recharged the AC. Oh, new fuel lines, battery, and fresh fluids, too... he he...

If you don't be careful and don't find yourself a well-maintained, driven car, you might find yourself in a similar boat for maintenance. It's too bad this car suffered the fate it did, but at least mechanically it checks out!

I would say that you can expect that ownership of these cars is fairly pain-free (just ask Jean-Louis, Beth, or some of the other 348 owners here...sorry guys, didn't mean to jinx you!! ;))... find yourself a clean car and you will be on cloud 9. :)

Good luck,
    Byron

7. Ferrari Boy

Ferrari Boy Formula 3

Oct 25, 2003
    Long Beach CA
    Full Name:
    David Couch
    Truly a sad story on how this happened. But I am very glad that you found a new owner for the car. Hope you got everything worked out ok, hope to see you in another F-car soon.

-David

8. reinerkaiser

reinerkaiser Karting

Nov 25, 2003
    Redondo Beach
    Full Name:
    Reiner Kaiser
    So what are you getting Byron?

9. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Sting,

Yeah, my 348 has been tracked for 2 years with zero issues except a starting issue that was solved when I finally found the one bad wire in that Ferrari rat's nest of wires that was causing all the problem. One pinch with a pair of pliers fixed it...cost zero. I have however constantly put more cool stuff in my car to track it, like carbon seats, rollcage etc... So you either spend on toys or needed maintenance. So I currently have a 348 with 100% working parts...I wonder how long that will last? The key is you have to lovingly go over every system. You just can't do things like slap in brake pads without really bleeding brakes, changing fluids, and turning rotors. If you do you are left with weak links and less than 100% efficiency. When you do things like this yourself it is 1000bucks in parts and sweet equity. The shop says its 2000 bucks and many owns say...just reuse the rotors and things like that. When you do a major a new water pump is 25% of the whole cost of the job! Should you do it? You bet, but not many owners will spring for the extra 1000 dollars. That is where these cars fall short even when professionally maintained. I actually see DIY'ers more willing to dump in all the parts they need but sometimes lack the ability to do it properly. Sometimes the DIY'er knows what he is doing and willing to put in the right parts and then you really have a great car.

10. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Byron,

Don't screw around get a TR or a 355. Personally, I still think the 348 is the best deal but 75 less horsepower. The 355 is really not any better build quality just different problems IMO. The 456 is nice but (no offense to 456 owners) it sounds like a Toyota Camary and thus reminds me of one too and thus the low resale prices. You are a flashy single guy you need a TR. Save the 456 for when you get old and married like me.

11. msage430

msage430 Formula Junior
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Feb 8, 2004
    calabasas
    Full Name:
    mike sage
    I have had my 348 Spider for about 2years now.
    gas, oil and some brake pads thats getting a fresh 30k done now
    with 21000 miles It's been a dream to own and drive...

I all most sold it, but the guy did't come up with the money
    when he said he he was...

I'm glad..

Byron, how about a 360...

12. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Byron - was the 348 parked in the lot beside the shop?
    If so, I saw it last night as I take care of biz on the same road after hours.

13. Bmyth-FDC

Bmyth-FDC F1 Rookie

Oct 4, 2002
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Byron
    Yes, it is. It is sitting on jacks right now, as the bell housing was removed for inspection.

If I may ask - what sort of biz after hours? ;)

B.

14. Jet-X

Jet-X F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Hey billyboy....what about that 'exploding' catalytic converter at Buttonwillow?

I like the 'Camry' of Ferrari's....going to maybe get one next.....

15. girlgrammy

girlgrammy Rookie

Jul 18, 2003
    Santa Monica, CA
    Full Name:
    Amanda
    Tug tug tug....at the heart strings. She's a unique 348 who's sounds and looks we'll all remember fondly. There's a new lucky guy out there who's in for a whole new adventure; and for you a new beast on the horizon no doubt.

Vroom vroom,
    -A

16. Throttleman

Throttleman Formula Junior

Sep 26, 2003
    Pasadena,CA
    Full Name:
    Jay Ablett
    I feel fortunate to have gone for a ride in it. It will most definitely missed, I too will miss that sound. Can't wait to see the replacement

-Jay.

17. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    We will all miss it!!

Was one of my favorite cars to be lucky enough to ride in at the events :)

Your replacement choice is a good one though, so we should look forward for better things to come!

18. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Commercial Casting Crap

19. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Jet-x,

I forgot abotu the exploding cat. But on the flip side my A/C blows ice cold and my car is a tracker. I have been know to use it on those 108 degree track days at BW. My car does get more TLC like brake flushed and bled with synthetic fluid and oil and filter changes with synthetic and trans oil chages twice a year after every track weekend. So maybe that has something to do with my car's mechanical longevity. The cats are well and add on piece of crap smog junk you don't need anyway. When we go out next you can see my cool test pipes I welded up. You are going to want some. When you hear my car with challenge exhaust and testpipes you will think Byron's car was quiet! Those cats rob power I don't care what anyone says. You can't redirect flow and sift the exhaust without taking power.

20. Jet-X

Jet-X F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I got's the test pipes already.....I agree, cats suck and when at my mechanic, he had a Mondial t with test pipes he was taking off. When I heard them, immediately pointed to my car and said "get 'em on NOW"

What I want is that little race crew you bring out to the events :D .... oh and a more 'track appropriate' Ferrari

21. Christian Asis

Apr 28, 2003
    I don't check this board all that often but I'm glad I did today.

I was lucky enough to participate in a FDC driving event a while back and Byron was one of the reasons why that day continues to bring smiles to my face. For those of you that don't know him, he's just an easy going, super cool enthusiast that was all too happy to let me (with my lowly S2000) tag along, ask dumb questions, and drool on his car and others.

At one point during the drive, I was lucky enough to be behind Byron's challenge and a 355 Spider as we were going through a canyon. I captured some of that on a digital camera and have played that small clip over and over again.

What a beautiful car that made beautiful sounds.

I hope your next car brings you many, many, many miles of safe and fun driving.

Christian

22. Bmyth-FDC

Bmyth-FDC F1 Rookie

Oct 4, 2002
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Byron
    Christian - thank you so much for the kind words. We haven't seen you in a while - did you end up selling the car? When will you be joining us on a drive again?

Hope all is well.
    Byron

23. Christian Asis

Apr 28, 2003
    Hi Byron -

After my Dad had his strokes my wife and I made the decision to sell the S2000 and help my parents out. You would think such a decision would be painstaking but it as much as I loved that car, it was pretty easy. I still miss it some times but I've been blessed to be able to help out my folks and know that I'm a young man with plenty of time ahead of me for more sports cars.

I'm happy to say that, all things considered, my Dad is doing pretty well. He's not likely to make a 100% recovery given the nature of his strokes but he's come a long way already and his attitude is great.

As far as joining you guys for a drive... I'd love to but my weekends have been pretty filled with family things and now I'd feel even more out of place trying to keep up with you guys. Now that the Honda is out of the garage, my wife and I are back down to our two daily drivers (a Lexus IS and a Lexus RX) and neither of which stands a chance of keeping up with you guys.

24. Bmyth-FDC

Bmyth-FDC F1 Rookie

Oct 4, 2002
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Byron
    Reiner - sorry, somehow missed this question the other day... it's a secret for now...don't want to jinx it. I'll keep everyone posted in the days to come. ;)

25. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Well Byron, I guess it was fun while it lasted. So how long before you get the replacement? If you stick with a V8 get the 355, if you get a V12 get the 456. As for the "Camry" exhaust sound, lol, we know how to fix that. Tubi!!!!

Sting
    I have had my 348 for two and a half years. My car has needed alot of TLC. But that is because the previous owners DID NOT take care of the car the way it should have been mantained. So most of my work has been fixxing what had been neglected. Just keep in mind that it is a Ferrari, and you will be charged yup the ying yang just because of the name. Not because the parts are any better, but just because they are going on a "Ferrari".

Billybob
    What wire was it?