Beautiful F-550 Disegno "salvage" Car | FerrariChat

Beautiful F-550 Disegno "salvage" Car

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Tomf-1, Mar 18, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
  2. gabriel

gabriel Formula 3

3. JOEV

JOEV F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 6, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I am embarrassed to admit that I have never heard of a 550 "Disegno". What is it? I'm too lazy to look it up right now. Thanks.

4. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas

Joe--- I would be remissed not to admit that I too have no clue what it means....but man, I love 550 in that color. What happened to that car is enough to make a grown man cry..man.

5. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Disegno is an interior option for MBZ....not Ferrari. The guy is obviously on glue.

DL

6. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    Sh*t happens, it can be fixed for a price. Life goes on.....

7. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I love his claim that "the accident does not effect the car's performance." Yeah, right.

8. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

That thing looks like it was dropped out of an airplane. Nice description though.......almost makes you want to overlook the fact that it looks like sh_t.

9. Prugna 328

Prugna 328 Formula 3

Sep 10, 2003
    L.I.N.Y.
    Full Name:
    Gregory
    Oh man, that does not look good at all.

10. rudypellegrini

Mar 9, 2004
    The nimrod obviously didn't read the rest of the badge that says "Disegno Pininfarina" or "Design by Pininfarina".

11. matkat

matkat Formula 3

Mar 18, 2003
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Dave McGuire
    I am no expert but it looks to require a "bit" more than the new parts he says in the ad.

12. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John

Yeah I like that too!! All it needs is new bumpers, left fender and light, and "minor plastics under the hood". What is this guy smoking?? The only body panel that looks like it MIGHT be straight is the roof.

13. exiges

exiges Karting

Feb 26, 2004
    Midlands
    Full Name:
    David Brown
    From the advert: "EVERY MANS DREAM IS RIGHT IN-FRONT OF YOUR EYES. YOU HAVE DREAMT ABOUT IT, NOW ITS TIME FOR YOU TO LIVE YOU DREAM"

Yes.. I've always dreamt about a smashed up wreck of a car..

Some people dream about a pristine showroom Ferrari, with gleaming paintwork.. that you can readily take for a blast down the highway..

Not me.. I prefer a crumpled heap of metal.. oh yes

14. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    Anybody that has taken on this type of project can tell us, lets hear, what would it cost to bring it back to 100%? I know that typically, many say that once the chassis is bent (suspension stuff) is never the same...always a bit quirky....

15. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    $50,000? That seems incredible to me. I'm no expert, either, but it looks like the kind of thing you could perhaps fix, but would never be the same again. The front is smashed, the left rear also looks like an impact point, the right side of the car looks odd - and you have to wonder how the force of the impact was transmitted through the engine/gearbox etc. Airbags? Wheels? The right front looks shot to me. Heck, the car's going to need a lot of paint. Add all this to the seller's compelling 85% rating and obvious mastery of the subtleties of the marque, and unless you need parts for your "550 disegno", you've gotta be better off buying a perfectly good 550 at the current bargain prices. Maybe an expert will straighten me out ...

16. Varenne

Varenne Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Ok, I'm no expert, but from what I've been reading about maintenance and 'fix-em-up' pricing on damaged F-cars, whoever buys this car could easily spend more than 50K putting it back together again - at least with an body shop or other authorized repair facility that knows what it's doing.

Check the recent thread on highest repair bills that was posted a few weeks ago...

At that 50k + 50k in repairs, one could be in the neighborhood for a 550 that hasn't been wrecked and has seen good maintence all along...

17. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I would guess the guy bidding at $49,900 is a shill.

18. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    That baby bit the big salami...... HARD!

Pull the engine and seats, and CRUSH it..... the rest of the way..

19. LA Swede

LA Swede Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2003
    SoCal
    not even that...Benz calls it "Designo", the guy is referring to the pininfarina plate, I guess.

20. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    I think this ad was meant to appeal to someone with more money than brains.

DJ

21. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    Yeah, that frame looks nice and straight. LOL.

22. gabriel

gabriel Formula 3

My thoughts exactly.

I don't believe any of those bids are real.

After pouring in over 100k, what are you going to do with a salvage title 550 anyway??

23. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Don't wake me up, I'm living the dream! LOL

24. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

This ad for the "designo" option....heh.....kind of reminds me of some guy who put his Porsche 944 in the local paper advertising the special "zundefolgel" engine (German for "firing order of sparkplugs") which was printed on the cam cover or some place like that.

My spelling of "zundefolgel" may be incorrect. The techs in the Porsche dealership where I worked roared in laughter when they read it.