Conversion black interior to tan 328 | FerrariChat

Conversion black interior to tan 328

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by dhs-9, Mar 16, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dhs-9

dhs-9 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2004
    Has anyone ever changed the interior of their 328 form black to tan. If so how much would something like this run.

Thanks

Dave

2. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    The cheap method would be the do it yourself dye job - $200 in leatherique dye and a bunch of Laquer thinner. Here is a post about a guy re-doing his GT4 interior - His would be more due to the back seats.

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11352

3. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    I am not a fan of dye colour swaps especially when you are talking black to tan. Honestly the best thing to do is have it re-upholstered. With that said you might be better off finding a nice used set of seats and re-covering the console and door panels. With regards to cost, I'd venture to say that either option should easily (of done right) top $2000 and that includes some personal handy work. Good luck with the project but be sure to think it out first.

4. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    That's true - Going from black to tan might be rough!

5. Cwilcox

Cwilcox Rookie

Nov 6, 2003
    Sebastopol, CA
    Full Name:
    Clark Wilcox
    Tan leather with black carpet is a nice combination -- that might save you some work if your black carpet is in good enough condition.

6. bert308

bert308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2002
    Roermond Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert Kanters
    I redyed my tan interior to red/black (like the batmobile somebody mentioned).
    I wanted to dye the fuse cover from black to red and needed 10 layers of paint. In other words, a black interior can't be redyed tan in my opinion, tan to black is easy but not the other way around.

My redye project looks good enough to me, but my standards are not very high...:)

7. F1Ace

F1Ace F1 Rookie

Mar 15, 2004
    Full Name:
    Wes
    I just have one question...why?

Black interiors look great! I'm considering a Black 328 with a Tan interior, I think I would prefer black. Not you?

Wes

8. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Down here in Texas, the heat of summer is brutal on black cars and especially so when coupled with black interiors.

9. KurtK328

KurtK328 Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2001
    Villeneuve-Loubet, France
    Full Name:
    Kurt Kjelgaard
    Find someone willing to swop cockpit interiors with you - might be the easiest solution

10. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    How did you do the piping?

11. bert308

bert308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2002
    Roermond Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert Kanters
    Very carefully!

Serious, masking and apply paint with a small brush. I didn't expect it to turn out really well and was prepared to forget about the piping, but only from very close you can see it's "fake". Btw Mike, before I started this project I printed your guidelines and read them several times, thanks for that. Only thing, in your article you mentioned the expected difficulty to take the seats apart, but that is really easy, just some hex bolts holt them together, once you remove the plastic cover that is attached with a philips screw.
    Only problem now I have is the paint doesn't seem to adhere very well, I can scrape it of with a vingernail. Guess I'll do the seats again sometime and then sand the old paint all away, I only used laquer thinner before and removed a lot of paint, but not enough I think. Other tips?
    http://home.tiscali.nl/308gto/870.jpg.htm

12. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Looks great Bert!

13. norm

norm Karting

May 30, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Have you considered keeping the black interior and just adding some removeable light colored seat covers? I know it wouldn't look the same. But, you can always room the seat covers when it's not as hot & sunny, etc. A lot easier than changing the interior. In addition, Ferrari tan interiors are very fragile. Granted the tan is cooler in the hot sun. But, even after a re-dye, it is just a matter of time before the wear & cracks will start to reappear unless you're not planning on using the car that much. Black wears like iron! When I had my Mondial Cab, I was even considering changing from tan to black. When I buy another Ferrari, the black interior will be definite plus.

14. norm

norm Karting

May 30, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    As a follow-up Bert308, wow very nice job. Having re-done my Mondial Cab, I can appreciate the work that went into your effort. Do you have any pictures of the interior back in your car?

15. bert308

bert308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2002
    Roermond Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert Kanters
    It's not in yet, only after I finished the car it will be back in, too prevent it from getting dirty and damaged. (my 308 is the GTO look project posted about in the showroom section www.ferrari308.tk)
    I too was amazed what can be achieved with a redye. It was meant as a temporary thing but I may leave it like this. The $200 job looks convincing enough, like a thousands of dollars reupholstery, unless you look very close and see some paint streaks and dust particles, you're not supposed to look that close though!

I put one seat in, you can see it here: http://home.tiscali.nl/308gto/910.jpg.htm
    It looks good, not to flashy. I also have black floormats with red piping and red horse so all is consistent. The chrome levers, switches and gearshift gate on the center console will give it some art deco effect!

16. PWehmer

PWehmer Formula 3

Oct 15, 2002
    Surrounded by Water