TR Carbonfiber/Lexan Bonnet Cover- feedback | FerrariChat

TR Carbonfiber/Lexan Bonnet Cover- feedback

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by johnbob, Nov 18, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. johnbob

johnbob Karting

Nov 8, 2003
    Oklahoma
    I have recently installed a prototype part that I will be marketing in the very near future. Was interested in feedback. The part repalaces the fiberglass bonnet/engine cover that is painted the body color with a part that is dimensionally the same but is constructed of carbonfiber. A lexan window is intserted in the center of the part showing off the engine. An LED third brakelight is recessed in a similar location as the original.

The replacement part is in my opinion a neat bolt-on that updates the styling of this classic car and can be easily removed if so desired.

The part is being manufactured by a company that makes carbon fiber molds and parts for the areospace industry. The quality of the component is excellent and in itself something to be admired.

Feedback would be appreciated. Availability should be in the next few weeks, retail price is estimated at $1,200.

Best regards and thanks in advance.
    John

2. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    will the carbon fiber bonnet be body color as well?

3. johnbob

johnbob Karting

Nov 8, 2003
    Oklahoma
    Attachment

4. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I would love to see a pic of it! My car is Nero Black Metallic and carbon fiber would look terrific on the car. I would also love to have a carbon fiber trunk lid too....but now were talking 2nd mortgage on the house. Does anyone make carbon fiber door sills for TRs?

5. johnbob

johnbob Karting

Nov 8, 2003
    Oklahoma
    It is the natural carbon fiber but can be painted, the grey black look of the natural part looks great as it is very similar to the grillwork. I am trying to post a picture but had not been able to do so, not sure why.

6. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    has to be saved as a jpeg, and has to be a small file. I always have to resave files before posting, and I haven't been able to post any videos at all. It's sort of a pain, to say the least

7. johnbob

johnbob Karting

Nov 8, 2003
    Oklahoma
    One last try, if the pictures won't post and you are interested send me an e-mail and I will respond with pictures.
    [email protected]
    Best regards,
    John

8. johnbob

johnbob Karting

Nov 8, 2003
    Oklahoma
  9. johnbob

johnbob Karting

Nov 8, 2003
    Oklahoma
    pics are not the best quality due to upload size limitations

10. johnbob

johnbob Karting

Nov 8, 2003
    Oklahoma
  11. Jay

Jay Karting

Nov 13, 2003
    Charlotte
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Nice! I like the see-through section on top :)

12. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    I love it. Good luck.

13. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    John
    How well will the lexan hold up to heat and scratching? I think there's a reason they use glass on the 360. Do you have a pic of the whole car with it mounted? It would help to judge effect of transparent cover.

14. madturk

madturk Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 2, 2003
    Williston, ND
    Full Name:
    Seyhan Kilincci
    Exellent, I wonder if they would do it for the 355. I really like the glass. I would painted.

15. johnbob

johnbob Karting

Nov 8, 2003
    Oklahoma
    The lexan appears to be holding up fine, I have been driving this car with the prototype installed for about a month with no sign of sagging (which is what the lexan would do if it gets too hot). We are currently considering a tempered glass insert however this will increase the cost and the weight. In regards to sagging when making the mold we noted that the original fiberglass part was slightly concave. We assummed that this occurred over the course of being exposed to heat for long periods of time. The lexan will probably do the same eventually but can be replaced without significant cost. Another option being considered is a clear support to reduce load and therefore sagging. This can be virtually invisible from the outside. We have not acted aggressively on any of these options since the prototype has not showed any signs of sagging.

Lexan is prone to scratching but there are many products available that quickly and easily polish the scratches out. In fact if you are familiar with the vintage Corvettes they had a plexiglass rear window in the removable hardtops of the '50's. These are often made to look like new regardless of the condition. The process includes wet sanding and a series of polishing steps.

16. JimSchad

JimSchad Guest

looks great. I personally think it would look best on a dark car just so it mimicks the body color. Hate to paint the carbon fiber red though! Love the window.

17. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Incredible - I think that looks great!

The TR engine deserves to be shown off!

18. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    John you may want to consider a row of vents in your cover to allow heat to escape. That might be all you need. Very nice peice. I'd also make sure the lexan is easily replacable.

19. johnbob

johnbob Karting

Nov 8, 2003
    Oklahoma
    I like the idea of a row of vents, like on the F-40. I in fact strongly considered doing just that, more for cosmetics than for function. Since I drive my TR rain or shine I was concerned with that part of the engine getting so wet.
    Replacing the lexan is a relatively simple matter.
    Thanks for your feedback.

20. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    That looks awesome! Can you make one for a 355?

21. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    I love the looks of it.
    Erik

22. johnbob

johnbob Karting

Nov 8, 2003
    Oklahoma
    Yes Allan, however currently tooling up for a Carbonfiber/Kevlar chin spoiler for a TR. This hybrid material looks cool, is light, and very resistant to abraision and chipping (Kevlar is what bulletproof vests are made of).

23. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Man oh man I think that is soooooo coool !! A carbon fiber air box lid for a TR would also be great, and look great through the window. Has something been done to the air box lid in the pics, it looks "different"? Again I must say that I just love the look! Bravo!

24. johnbob

johnbob Karting

Nov 8, 2003
    Oklahoma
    Airbox is nickel plated but not polished. Thanks for the feedback.

25. 92_348ts

92_348ts Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2002
    Boise, Idaho
    Full Name:
    Chris