Clockwork Orange? | FerrariChat

Clockwork Orange?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by F360@20, Mar 19, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F360@20

F360@20 Karting

Nov 24, 2003
    San Diego
    I just watched it for the first time very intresting moive. Out there but still has that weird pull to keep watching.

Just curious to what the hype was when It came out? I heard it was a great moive?

2. matkat

matkat Formula 3

Mar 18, 2003
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Dave McGuire
    Times move on,it was a great movie when it came out(not bad today either)

3. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    I read the book way back when but I don't think I've ever seen the movie. The book was written by Anthony Burgess and it came out in the late 50's early 60's. Pretty racy and violent for its time.

4. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    The movie caused a sensation when it was released; partly because of the fame of its director, and also because of the considerable violence. (Although a number of films from that era were quite violent, even by today's standards, see Sam Pekinpah's work). Remember too, that society was going through a "youth revolution" (along with race riots, assasinations, Vietnam-at least for those of us in the US as well as Vietnam) while novel science (space travel, heart transplants, etc) was quickly becoming part of the daily present. So, this bleak depiction of a future run over by gangs, and the dismal failure of society and "technology" to address its ills, was then timely. It was also an era of "message" films. Haven't seen it in years, but last time i did, it looked very dated.

5. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

My Freshman year English prof loved the book, had us read it, then poof, out came the movie. Off we went on a class trip to the theater to see Stanley Kubric's "A Clockwork Orange"

I thnik some of the appeal was the violence, plus, it was way off center from the rest of the world outlook along with their made up words and the imagery of a world that had lost control.

The language and violence was kind of a new thing, too. Have to put it into early 70's context. Now, torture, rape, moestation and the like, along with the language, are common place, then, not so much. Remember that the Exorcist cam out about the same time and it was new, too.

Oh, man do I not miss the 70's at all.

6. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I think an angle of it was the drug culture too, like when they were drinking the "psychedelic" milk. Movies that attract the "hippie" community make an easy path to being a cult classic. A more recent good example is "Dazed and Confused". One of my favorite movies ever. This no budget movie launched star careers for several in the movie. It's not about hard drugs, just about smoking pot all day while having fun adventures. I can watch that movie as many times as some Ferrari videos. :)

7. bluekawala

bluekawala Formula Junior

Jan 22, 2004
    Ormond Beach, FL
    Some other... strange drug cult movies are Requim to a Dream (or 'for a Dream' I can't remember exactly) and Trainspotting. I haven't seen either on in years but I remember they were both a little 'out there.'

They have their entertainment value, but I'd just assume watch The Big Labowski. :)

8. Enzo

Enzo F1 Rookie

Feb 14, 2002
    MinneSOta
    Full Name:
    Pat Pasqualini
    Dazed and Confused is one of my favorite movies also along with Clerks.

9. 4re308

4re308 F1 Rookie

Jun 13, 2001
    Woodstock, GA
    Full Name:
    Mitch D
    You are just now seeing Clockwork Orange? That movie is very wild. Viddy well little brother, viddy well.

10. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    The original book censored out the 21st chapter, which, IMO, is hugely important. I have never seen the movie as I am weary of movie adaptations (and Stanley Kubrick must've done a LOT of drugs!), but I doubt it too had said 21st chapter's material. Read it, it's important.

--Dan

11. isellpower

isellpower Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2003
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Jason

"I don't roll on Shabbas". Not sure if the spelling is correct, but that is the best movie. Man John Goodman is hillarious in that moviel.

12. rsrx

rsrx Karting

Dec 11, 2003
    Encinitas, CA
    Full Name:
    Alphonse
    Hello my little droogie....

13. bluekawala

bluekawala Formula Junior

Jan 22, 2004
    Ormond Beach, FL

LOL, the best!

Goon: "What the hell is this?" *drops bowling ball*

The Dude: "Obviously, you're not a golfer."

:) Such a cool guy!

14. Uberpower

Uberpower Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 6, 2004

This movie tries WAY too hard to be interesting and edgy. Like those people that buy those neo-nerd black framed Coke-bottle-thick glasses and drink $4 lattes and write poetry on thier itty-bitty laptops at Starbucks.

Dorky- and not in a "cool" way.

15. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    I think you just described Stanley Kubrick's life...

--Dan

16. Ontogenetik

Ontogenetik Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    rob328gts

>I think an angle of it was the drug culture too

organized society failed. religion failed. medicine/technology failed.
    something else worked ...

whart

>outdated

as outdated as the self