355, fiberous dust on cam belt | FerrariChat

355, fiberous dust on cam belt

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by ferrarioldman, Mar 18, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ferrarioldman

ferrarioldman Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Jun 19, 2002
    Summerfield, NC
    Full Name:
    Tom Jones
    #1 ferrarioldman, Mar 18, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I thought that I had seen a thread on this subject awhile back but I can't seem to find anything in the archives. Upon performing a major service on a 355, I have found this brownish dust that has fibers in it in the cambelt area but can't find a source for it. This dust looks like it could be fiberglass or possibly even kevler. It has coated the cam belts and has built up inside the pulleys for the cams, in the tensioner brgs., and even inside the crank pulley. I have enclose a few pictures that I hope you can see what I am talking about. I have checked over everything in and around the front of the engine and cannot find and evidence of damage. The only possibilty I have found is that there is a cover under the F1 servo right behind the front of the motor that I believe it made from kevlar that was damaged and repaired with fiberglass at a previous time. Maybe when it was damaged some pieces were blown up into the cam belts and chewed up. I don't know. Anybody else seen this?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    Blown header. Wrapped in glass cloth before the stainless cover goes on. Look closely at the heads and you should find heavier concentrations of it.
    Dave

3. ferrarioldman

ferrarioldman Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Jun 19, 2002
    Summerfield, NC
    Full Name:
    Tom Jones
    Thanks Dave! You are probably right because I replaced an exhaust manifold about 6 months ago. I had forgotten about that.