512tr performance chips???? | FerrariChat

512tr performance chips????

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by 512tr, Mar 18, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 512tr

512tr Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2004
    montreal
    Full Name:
    tony
    Any 512tr of other f-car owner out there have had a performance chip installed. All info would be greatly appreciated, pros & cons, manufacturer, cost, power etc.

Thanks,

Tony 512tr

2. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
    Check for posts from 512professore, he has one and has modded it up. He's a friend of mine here in Atlanta.

3. Wildwarrior

Wildwarrior Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2003
    PA
    Full Name:
    Glen Winters
    You can also try calling Travis at Powerchip in CA @310-917-1075,he burned me a few pair of chips for my 94-512, and I'm very happy with the added power and the 7600 rpm rev limit.The cost is $1500.00

4. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Also, keonig Germany I think has a set of good ones...Mark has them installed on his 512m

5. 512tr

512tr Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2004
    montreal
    Full Name:
    tony
    I've been told that there is no more power over 6800rpm, it's just a waist of money and risking damages to the engine, mind you I would love to hear the sound of my car at 7600rpm especially with the tubi. Sounds great at 6800rpm. Back to your chips, what kind of extra hp do you you think you have now and what about torque. I have been thing about this for a while now.

Thanks in Advance.

Tony 512tr

6. Wildwarrior

Wildwarrior Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2003
    PA
    Full Name:
    Glen Winters
    Tony,
    That is correct, the stock 512 heads don't flow much past 6800 rpms or so, however to keep most cars in their power band you must shift way above it. I don't need to push her to 7600 rpms it just gives me a buffer before she hits the rev limiter.Before the chips, I would quickly bump my rev limiter in the first 3 gears,now I never touch it.I didnt notice a power increase with the addition of my Tubi and test pipes until I added the chips.With out Dyno time, I could only guess that with all of the above, I have a good 40 hp or so.She pulls way harder off the line and revs much faster.

7. 512Professore

512Professore Karting

Feb 3, 2004
    USA, GA.
    Full Name:
    Brian Strasburg
    512tr:

There are several sources available for ECU chips on the 512TR, and each manufacturer/tuner has programmed a slightly different fuel/ignition curve, so the question boils down to what you are looking for and your intended application. Of course, top grade premium fuel will be required with an ECU firmware(chip) change, and with the reformulated fuel that's hitting the pumps, the addition of octane boosters my be required for you. Anyway, the chips I have installed are tuned for more mid-range torque, which means faster lap times when accelerating out of a corner, and depending on the track configuration, this combination may save several down-shifts before entering a corner as well. In addition, my chips also add top end HP and raise the rev limiter by 200rpm. The chips work very nicely in combination with other air intake breathing mods, removal of the very restrictive cats and with a Tubi. I got my chips about 3 years ago after an extensive search, and am very pleased with their performance. If I remember correctly, the pair of chips was under $1k. If you just install some new chips without exhaust or intake mods, you may not notice much preformance improvement.

A friend of mine who has a 512M, modified his intake and exhaust identically to my 512tr mods, then installed the Koenig chips. On the M, the Koenig chips really enrichen the fuel mixture, and Koenig offers a choice of where you want the new rev limit as well. Koenig also programs chips for the 512TR and are quite expensive, around $3k. The Koenig chips really made a nice difference in performance on my friend's M, and I would expect the same for the 512TR application. In any case, with the Koenig chips, the engine really pulls harder to the new rev limit, and with my chips, the engine also continues to pull very strong to 7400rpm.

Both SuperChips and PowerChips companies make them for the 512TR as well, and are around $1.5k - $2k. Some other companies also claim to have a 512TR application, but upon checking them out, they didn't have the right stuff, so be careful and ask the right questions. You might also want to try AutoThority.

Again, if I recall correctly, my chips were developed by a small company in the UK, and used Silverstone as their test bed, but provided very little documentation with the chips, and I don't recall their name - sorry about that.

Keep the Rubber Side Down.....

8. 512tr

512tr Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2004
    montreal
    Full Name:
    tony
    Hi Professore,

Thanks for the info,. What do you mean you say modifying the air intake breather mods? What is involved ? By the way I do have tubi exhaust & test pipes.

Thanks

Tony

9. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I have no cats, tubi, No chip but I have some intake mods. I put her on teh dyno & she made 460 hp vs factory claims of 428 hp. I never put her on the dyno before the mods but I noticed a seat of the pants difference.

My intake mods consist of removing the intake snorkels that run under each rear fender from the cheese grater back to the air filter box, its a large plastic tube. Anyways I removed those, wrapped them in heat reflective blanket & reinstalled them & immediatey noticed quite a difference as the air going into the engine is cooler, thus denser now. I also removed the air filter boxes & had them painted with heat reflective paint. Next step is some K&N air filters, then I will cover the intale manifold with the heat reflective blanket. I found one that is self stick that looks better than the one with zip ties.

Good luck :)

10. 512Professore

512Professore Karting

Feb 3, 2004
    USA, GA.
    Full Name:
    Brian Strasburg
    Tony,

Good deal, you already have the exhaust system set-up with test pipes and a Tubi. These exhaust mods really help savange the exhaust flow, by about a 38% improvement in flow. Now, some intake flow mods should be done in an attempt to match the improved exhaust flow - you know, if you get more out of the engine, then more must be injected to keep things happier. The first thing was the disassembly of the air boxes and mass air sensors. Although some people may claim that high flow air filters are bad for the engine, don't help, etc., I disagree and installed K&N's which do help more than you might think. Then, I made alterations to the mass air flow sensors, and made alterations to the air boxes themsleves for improved velocity, then did some minor polishing in the upstream areas to keep the improved velocity uniform. With these mods, when you place your head(ear) near the side of the car(cheese grater), you can really hear the in-rush of new found air. Also, when finished, everything looks factory stock condition, which was one of my goals.

As William H. replied, he tried the route of cooling the air intake charge, but IMHO, I don't see what improvements can be had from wrapping the plastic intake snorkle with heat reflective material, as that plastic intake snorkle is basically under the rear fenders and away from the concentration of engine heat. IF you really want to cut down on parasitic heat condution into the airboxes, they should be covered with a heat reflective material, which I have done as well. I did't cover the entire air box, so as to "ruin" the stock appreance, but covered the bottoms of them and about half way up, plus the air box snorkle itself. It is actually pretty easy when using the right material, and since the air box is a multi-curved/surface box, I made a template first, then cut the heat material to match. The material I used is self sticking, so no messy glues, tie wraps and such. It looks very similar to some of heat shielding the factory did on F40's. If you want to go a step further with heat shielding, the test pipes can be wrapped with exhaust tape, then sprayed with a protective coating. I haven't done this step, but it should keep more of the heat internal to the exhaust, which in theory, also helps exhaust savanging. Every little bit helps, and if things are done in a systematic manner, they all add up for improved performance.

As I have mentioned in some other proir thread, I am planning to offer the above mentioned mods as a kit, but without the Tubi.

I have not had the opportunity for a proper dyno run, so I can't provide absolute numbers, but my mods do WORK, and my 512 will outrun a 550 Maranello, and is also good for about 3.5 second lap time improvemnt at Roebling Road and Road Atlanta, depending on your driving skills of course.

Ciao............

11. Steve

Steve Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Steve Jenkins
    William:

FYI - you're 7hp high on the factory hp spec for the 512TR. They state 421 bhp @ 6750 RPM - at the engine, not at the wheels. Count on approx a 15% hp drop from engine to wheels due to transmission and linkage.

How did you get an engine HP number for your car - or are you saying you got 468 at the wheels? That would be impressive. Do you have a dyno print out you can post? Since we have the same mods except for the chip, I'd be interested to see the differences in the HP and torque curves.

My 92 512TR has Tubi exhaust and bypass tubes, and chips by TAP (Total Audi Performance). They also make the chips I use on my 348 Spider. I really should have dyno'd my 512TR before and after each mod, but I didn't. I won't repeat that mistake when I start modding my newly acquired F40 (it should arrive in early April).

For those who are interested, If you want to see/hear what a 512TR looks/sounds like revving at 7800RPM, get comfortable and download this 27 meg file (requires Windows Media Player):

http://ferrari.stevejenkins.com/downloads/dynoday.asf

At about 11 mins in, I'm on the dyno and you can see the tach hit 7800 as the speedo hits 200.

The sound of a 12 cylinder in full song is a thing of beauty. And if you're an Xbox player, the car in this video is what is used for the Testarossa sounds in Project Gotham 2, and my 355F1 (w/Tubi) was also used in the game. If you load the credits and wait a LOOONG time, you'll see a bunch of names of Seattle-area Ferrari owners that donated their cars to the cause :)

As was stated earlier in this thread by Tony, it doesn't seem there's much more power after 6500RPM, as you can see from my dyno print out. But it sure sounds cool!

http://ferrari.stevejenkins.com/downloads/512dyno.jpg

12. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    My 512TR was making 460hp at the engine. The dyno guy said that bcus its a Ferrari that driveline loss may be closer to 10%. Dont have any graphs handy.

My car is black which of course absorbs a lot of heat so insulating the 3 foot long intake trumpets under the black fenders was a big deal in my case. They are somewhat away from the engine but not far enough IMO. I wanted the air as cool as possible & it worked. Insulating the air boxes & the intake manifold w self adhesive material is probably more important than the trumpets though bcus the air boxes sit right on top of the hot muffler & the intake manifold sits right on top of the hot engine