Blue smoke from right side exhaust | FerrariChat

Blue smoke from right side exhaust

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by GTB4NART, Mar 19, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GTB4NART

GTB4NART Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2004
    I recently changed the oil in my '95 456 and I've got a small amount of blue oil smoke coming out of just the right side exhaust pipes. I did use a thinner oil than before. Valve adjustment needed? I reset the ECUs and still have the smoke. Valves were adjusted 2k miles ago. Anyother tips or advice?

Thanks!

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Only the obvious -- to make sure the oil level is not above "MAX".

Did the amount of oil removed and added quasi-match up to the capacity specification (e.g., maybe 1~2 quarts less than the capacity spec)?

If you can locate where the crankcase vapor line(s) enter the intake airbox system (there's probably a fairly decent illustration/description in your OM) you might check to see if there's seems to be any excessive blow-by or liquid oil ingestion taking place -- just a thought...

3. GTB4NART

GTB4NART Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2004
    Thanks Steve, I think it is an overfill situation. This is the trickiest car to find the right oil level. My mechanic friend says that dry sump cars are a pain that way - I agree even though my old TR was easy to check.