I like the new red key | FerrariChat

I like the new red key

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by madturk, Nov 18, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. madturk

madturk Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 2, 2003
    Williston, ND
    Full Name:
    Seyhan Kilincci
    Am I the only one who is interested in upgrading things. I wonder if it is possible to change the locker key like key on my 355 to something like the Enzo key. Any thoughts???

2. Sharris

Sharris Karting

Mar 19, 2002
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Full Name:
    Sean Harris
    The new 360 CS has the same red key as the Enzo and I agree a very cool key.

3. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    The Carerra GT key is also really cool, and it comes standard with that Porsche carbon fiber key holder thing, which is totally great, and Ferrari should make one :)

4. madturk

madturk Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 2, 2003
    Williston, ND
    Full Name:
    Seyhan Kilincci
    Do you have a pic of the Carrera key??

5. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    The key holder is the one in the middle (obviously)

6. madturk

madturk Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 2, 2003
    Williston, ND
    Full Name:
    Seyhan Kilincci
    That's interesting, but kind of useless looking.

7. dan360

dan360 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2003
    Boston
    #7 dan360, Nov 18, 2003
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here's a pic of the new red-key (sorry its not from the other side w/ the horse) inside the CS (see my other thread). It looks like the key itself is the same as the regular 360 key so it may be possible to swap. Not sure I recall what the 355 key looks like.

Mind you, you might receive the "eet is noo posseeeble" when you try this...

PS I took these pictures with my new Canon Digital SLR and am pretty happy that this small part of the image came out so clear!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. madturk

madturk Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 2, 2003
    Williston, ND
    Full Name:
    Seyhan Kilincci
    You know everything is possible if you want it bad enough.
    I just don't know how bad I want it and for that reason I just don't know how much I wanna spend on that.
    But thanks for the pic.

9. madturk

madturk Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 2, 2003
    Williston, ND
    Full Name:
    Seyhan Kilincci
    I also like that start button. I think that might be an other think that I might do.

10. Alxlee

Alxlee F1 Rookie

Apr 8, 2002
    Wilmington, DE
    Full Name:
    Alex Lee
    Hey Madturk, did you get another 355 or did you save the old one? I seem to recall you saying that were going to post pictures of your old 355 that caught fire at the gas station.

11. madturk

madturk Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 2, 2003
    Williston, ND
    Full Name:
    Seyhan Kilincci
    Yeah man I am getting it fixed it's at FOA. right now. It should be done in couple of weeks. I am gonna add bunch of things to it.

12. Alxlee

Alxlee F1 Rookie

Apr 8, 2002
    Wilmington, DE
    Full Name:
    Alex Lee
    Ha, the car guy way. Upgrade!

13. madturk

madturk Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 2, 2003
    Williston, ND
    Full Name:
    Seyhan Kilincci
    360CS steering wheel ( with red on top ), leather carbon fiber seats, alacantra dash, with black and red interior, challange grill, color gauges, dead pedal, passenger foot rest, clear bumper lights, custon air filters, and maybe even the red key and start button.
    As soon as it's done I'll have pics.

14. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    hey madturk, glad to hear from you again. i was wondering what happened to the car. hope you get many $$$$ from the gas station since the pump auto--shut off did not work.

15. madturk

madturk Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 2, 2003
    Williston, ND
    Full Name:
    Seyhan Kilincci
    Actually my insurance is covering everything. But the gas station will pay them back. As far as I am concerned I could care less who pays for it as long as the car is fixed right.
    Man I tell you this thing is gonna be just great with all the extra stuff, new paint, new interior, 30k service.
    I can't wait.
    Hey if there is anyone living around Atlanta I think it's time we get our own video done. I could get a couple of guys together ( corvette Z06, BMW M serious and maybe a Viper ). Some traffic stuff, top end runs. I have a guy who can do editting for us. Anyone???

16. cwwhk

cwwhk Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    Hong Kong, Tokyo
    Full Name:
    Wayne
    #16 cwwhk, Dec 29, 2003
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    After reading this thread, I was inspired to paint my 360's key red myself. Easy and looks great. All you got to do is carefully pry off the silver Cavellino from key. I used a small precision screw driver to do this. Picking gently at the thick part like the neck, not the tail. Popped right off.

Now tape the key teeth with masking tape. Sand silver OEM painted area with 800 grid wed & dry sand paper.

Sprayed 4 light coats of red (I just used spray cans from local hardware store). Color matched better than 90%. Then sprayed 2 coats of clear (again spray can). For durability I baked the paint with regular oven set at 100 C for 30 minutes. Wife didn't like that very much.

Then glued the silver Cavellino back with clear contact cement.

Took me an hour and cost $10. Could have sprayed with my airbrush with proper PPG Rosso Corsa red, but for such a small item didn't need to fire up the air compressor.

And it looks sharp. Turned out much better than I expected. I attach a picture here to show the result. Sorry my picture color is not showing up well, because I took the picture at night under poor room light condition.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. spyderman

spyderman Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Toronto - Canada
    Full Name:
    Spyderman
    cwwhk,

The new color looks great, but, how will it last under normal use?

18. cwwhk

cwwhk Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    Hong Kong, Tokyo
    Full Name:
    Wayne
    After reading this thread, I was inspired to paint my 360's key red myself. Easy and looks great. All you got to do is carefully pry off the silver Cavellino from key. I used a small precision screw driver to do this. Picking gently at the thick part like the neck, not the tail. Popped right off.

Now tape the key teeth with masking tape. Sand silver OEM painted area with 800 grid wed & dry sand paper.

Sprayed 4 light coats of red (I just used spray cans from local hardware store). Color matched better than 90%. Then sprayed 2 coats of clear (again spray can). For durability I baked the paint with regular oven set at 100 C for 30 minutes. Wife didn't like that very much.

Then glued the silver Cavellino back with clear contact cement.

Took me an hour and cost $10. Could have sprayed with my airbrush with proper PPG Rosso Corsa red, but for such a small item didn't need to fire up the air compressor.

And it looks sharp. Turned out much better than I expected. I attach a picture here to show the result. Sorry my picture color is not showing up well, because I took the picture at night under poor room light condition.

19. cwwhk

cwwhk Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    Hong Kong, Tokyo
    Full Name:
    Wayne
    spyderman:

I guess I am not very good at using the post reply button yet. Sorry posted the same one twice.

It's holding up very well. That's why I baked it, so the paint will polymerized better and harden to a stronger finish. Basically same as paint shops will do. Besides, when I painted my key the OEM silver was pretty worn already.

Regards,

cwwhk

20. lapeter

lapeter Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2002
    SunValley ID&Kapalua
    Full Name:
    Al LaPeter
    For my birthday, my wife had a solid gold key made for my 355 spider. I really like it. It is exactly like the black plastic key, except in gold.

21. 456mgt

456mgt Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2002
    Cambridge UK
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    That's an excellent idea and it does look great. Better than the original in fact. The oem silver finish wears out quickly regardless of how careful you are. I have little doubt it will be more durable than the original,which is basically crap.

22. spyderman

spyderman Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Toronto - Canada
    Full Name:
    Spyderman
    Regarding the paint finish coming off the OEM silver...I wonder if that is covered under warranty? :)

23. Hubert888

Hubert888 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 14, 2003
    Manhattan & LA
    Full Name:
    Hubert
    did you bake the key after you put on the 2 coats of gloss or after you put on the coats of red paint?

just want to know because i probably will do the same. Your key looks great! :)

24. redhead

redhead F1 Rookie

Dec 26, 2001
    Full Name:
    ~Red~
    FWIW-

The 355/550/456 small "locker" style key can and will fit in the 360. I can attest to that, but not to sure on the Enzo key, although I do not suspect any difference. And likewise, the big 360 key can fit into the 355/456/550 slot as well.

25. cwwhk

cwwhk Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    Hong Kong, Tokyo
    Full Name:
    Wayne
    Hubert888:

Between color coats as well as the clear coats, I just let the paint flash dry about 15 minutes. Used lacquer spray paint, NOT enamel for quicker drying time. After the final clear coat I let the paint dry 30 minutes so most of the solvent has evaporated, then I baked the keys to get the finish to become harder and more durable. Otherwise I think the clear coat may not stick to the red base coat as well.

An additional note on th baking, my or rather my wife's oven has a minimum heat setting of 100 C or about 210 F, it's too hot really. To get around that problem I just preheat it to the min oven setting, then turn the oven off and waited for it to cool down to say 150 F by guessing and just let the key sit in the oven for 30 minutes. Make sure the oven is off when the key is baking. You don't want the heating element to come on while baking which will burn the paint.

If you don't have experience spray painting, just remember to keep the spray nozzle at reasonable distance to key say 12 inches and applly light mist coats. Too close or too heavy a spray will cause runs and drips. Don't point directly at the kay to start the spray. Point away from key. Get the spray going then bring it across to coat the key. This will avoid sputters. Also make sure work in dust free environment so paint finish is perferct.

It's a good idea to rig up a stand with allegator clip to hold the key in position during painting, drying, and baking. Otherwise you have no way of laying the key down while paint is still wet.

Sorry if I am making this sound more complicated than what it really is. Just want to give you as much heads up as possible to obtain the perfect result. Besides, the worse that can happen is that you have to strip or sand down the paint and start over again. My key's OEM silver was not worn down to bare metal, so I did not use a primer coat for adhesion, but if yours is worn down to bare aluminum it's a good idea to first spray a primer coat.

Good luck on your attempt. You will love how the key looks after it's done. And it costs next to nothing.