Aston Vanquish to get power hike-------------- | FerrariChat

Aston Vanquish to get power hike--------------

Discussion in 'British' started by tonyh, Mar 19, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
  2. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    it needed it. the db9 was nipping at its heels with 450bhp.

3. bluekawala

bluekawala Formula Junior

Jan 22, 2004
    Ormond Beach, FL
    They could have made the car lighter... but that probably would've been more expensive. I suppose power will over-ride weight as long as you don't take it on a B road. I wouldn't mind having one though.

4. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    what happened to supercharging? I thought for sure thats what they would do...good for that type of car too..(instant power, not useless hi-rpm stuff!)

5. CCarlisi

CCarlisi Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Manhattan
    Full Name:
    Christian
    That's not a big power hike. Without doing the math I think the 575 will still have a better power to weight ratio.

I thought it was interesting to see they're planning on using DB9 interior bits. The bottom line is the DB9 is a better car (in my mind at least); it's lighter, nearly as powerful on paper (and rumored to be equal to the Vanquish), has a much nicer interior, sleeker exterior, costs about 100 grand less, and can be had with a conventional gearbox.

I can't wait to see what happens to the resale value of the Vanquish when the DB9s start trickling into the market.

6. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    When the car first came out, Aston's engineers claimed the engine was good for 700+ bhp.

--Dan

7. Klint

Klint Karting

Dec 7, 2003
    Isle of Man, British Isles
    Full Name:
    Clint
    Dan, your correct, the engineers at Aston still believe the engine is capable of such power. Either they are thinking ahead and hibernating throughout the power wars between the super saloons or they're being conservative with the power figures the Astons are producing now.

I know that Aston unofficially have power packs for the V12 powerplant, which are available upon request when purchasing the car. ;) (But you didn't hear that from me.)

Why the DB9 can be consieved as a better car is because Aston are alot more experienced (through lessons learnt with the Vanquish) with their Production and R&D processes that were changed when Ford took over.

8. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    As I recall, the vanquish will shortly be offered with a conventional manual (probably introduced along with the other changes noted here) and many (myself included!) find the DB9 to be watered-down looking, the vanquish is the best!

9. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    I know of a person who has a Vanquish that, from Aston, has been tuned to ~600bhp.

--Dan