"There is only one Ferrari, and this isn't it" | Page 3 | FerrariChat

"There is only one Ferrari, and this isn't it"

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by t88power, Nov 17, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Jay
    One fine day you'll stop caring what anyone but yourself thinks.
    The art critic of the NY Times wrote "His ability to paint is as poor as his sense of color."
    In spite of this a number of years ago I bought one of Renior's paintings.
    If I worried about stop light drag racing I'd show up in John Force's funny car.
    My P4 lost to my MK-IV at LeMans do you think I like it less or more?
    It's like my children. They're different neither better nor worse. I love them both.

2. Jay

Jay Karting

Nov 13, 2003
    Charlotte
    Full Name:
    Jay
    I agree. I don't own a ricer and never will. So don't automatically lump me into the teenage fast & furious crowd. You've made an assumption that because I don't care for the current f-cars that I'm a teenage rice owner wich I am most certainly not.

And everyone like me? So you know everything about me from 2 posts?

That's just plain silly!

Agreed. And today's F-Cars don't do anything for me. It's my oppinion. The styling is not there and the performance is not there.

3. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally Posted by zjpj
    you know that your cars will never EVER match the style and evocative feel of a Ferrari.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You response: That's just plain silly!

Can you please elaborate, because there are a lot of people who don't think it's plain silly, including all of the automotive journalists who are on the video that is actually in question. It's obviously hard to discuss the evocative feel of a car since it's an intangible that resists reification, but please try.

4. Jay

Jay Karting

Nov 13, 2003
    Charlotte
    Full Name:
    Jay
    I say your statement is silly because of what you just said above. Evocative feel is intangible. Different cars and styling will appeal to people differently for different reasons. To state that no other car will produce the evocative feel as a ferrari is misguided at best.

5. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    Good point, Jay, I guess it's the "ever" that doesn't really work. My point was basically that a Gallardo doesn't evoke the same stuff as a 360, I wasn't really trying to make such a sweeping statement. Who's to know if there will even be cars 100 years from now.

6. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    That is to say, I was trying to make a sweeping statement, but it wasn't called for. And, yeah, as we've talked about elsewhere, cars are subjective. I am just trying to point out that all this talk about speed is silly, because most people don't buy cars for the 0 to 60.

7. Jay

Jay Karting

Nov 13, 2003
    Charlotte
    Full Name:
    Jay
    I agree. I think I gave the wrong impression with my stop light comment. Sorry. There are many factors that lead someone into purchasing a specific car. Heritage may be important to some people. To me it should not be the only criteria. There are plently of Ferrari's I love. There are many I don't care for. Same with Lambo's.

8. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    haha, Jay, I'm so proud of us! I think the fact that we have come to an agreement must be a first on FerrariChat... Let's give ourselves a pat on the back for moving beyond the pointless bickering. I always kick myself when I get started on threads like these...

9. TimN88

TimN88 F1 Veteran

Jun 12, 2001
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I dont find anything wrong with allan's posts. They are either hilarious or informative. I also like reading people's angry replies to his posts. Some of you guys get so worked up over his posts I also want to take this opportunity to point out that allan never gets worked up and loses his cool. Maybe you guys should try to be more like Allan. Hmm...thats an interesting thought.

10. Jay

Jay Karting

Nov 13, 2003
    Charlotte
    Full Name:
    Jay
    I am glad as well :) I must say that my first foray on this board has been interesting.

I can hear it now, in a 100 years: "My teleporter is better than yours. It can re-integrate matter faster." LOL!! :)

11. TimN88

TimN88 F1 Veteran

Jun 12, 2001
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I just finished watching the vid, and it seems that Clarkson loves the way the Gallardo drives. He says it handles much better than a 360 andhe also says it is a better car. The ONLY thing he finds wrong with it is that it isnt a piece of **** like all previous lambos with the excption of the murci. This idea is ridiculous. Obviously the fact that it is so well put together and solid makes it that much better of a car. I know that most here would rather have a 360, but are those same people so stubborn that they cant admit that the Gallardo is a better car?? You know what other stereotype of car enthusaists supposedly never admits that another car is better? yes, the answer is "ricers." Someone needs to come up with a funny analog to the tem "ricer" for ferrari owners. I'm sure allan has some good suggestions.

12. t88power

t88power Formula 3

Feb 19, 2001
    Puerto Rico
    Full Name:
    Ernesto
    The Gallardo may be a faster, better handling car than a standard 360, but it is clear it is not a better car overall.

Ernesto

13. TimN88

TimN88 F1 Veteran

Jun 12, 2001
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Having driven niether, the only thing i think the 360 has over the lambo is looks. Like i said before, ive havent driven either, but i would trust that jeremy clarkson knoes what hes talking about, since he is a huge ferrari fan.

14. Clax

Clax Formula 3

Oct 3, 2002
    #64 Clax, Nov 18, 2003
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  15. Jeru

Jeru Karting

Nov 16, 2003
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    You know what does ruffle my feathers? The fact that all of these companys make great cars Lambo, Ferrari, Aston, etc. I think the stoplight grand prix is a load of bulls**t. I won't participate in it. I'll tell you what Ellen, we should meet at the track and do a few laps. You in you 1990 Lambo, me in my 360. Then I can crush you with a little Ferrari heritage. After that we can watch my friend smoke both of us in a Lotus Elise which costs about a third of both our cars. My point is is that you are one of those straight line small penis guys who never explores what these cars can do. The 360 is an almost 5 year old design yet still looks incredible. The Gallardo and Ford are brand new and Gallardo is faster, but who cares? most of the age bracket who buy these cars end up turning them into garage queens anyway.
    Without "Zee Germans" the Gallardo and Murcielago would have never came to be. I'm sure Ferrari has a little somthing up its sleve but why should they bother participating in the horsepower wars? They have Michael, The Enzo and more F1 wins then anybody. Nuff Said

When I think of racing heritage Porsche and Ferrari come to mind.
    Not the Bull. BTW the GT2 is faster on the track then a Murcie and thats where it counts.

16. TimN88

TimN88 F1 Veteran

Jun 12, 2001
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Tim
    If Audi (maybe under the Lambo name, maybe) got back into F1, they would obviously oust Ferrari off the throne. They have more resources, both financial and other. Look what the R8 did at lemans. Now that they arent factory backing R8 racing teams anymore, i just may get my wish.

17. Clax

Clax Formula 3

Oct 3, 2002
    Great post, Jeru. The 5-year old design factor is a very valid point. The 360 is the benchmark that these cars have set their sights on. Now all the Gallardo jock-riders are parading in the streets because they are faster than the 360. Wow, what an amazing accomplishment. A car manufacturer produced a car that eclipses the performance of a 5-yr old model. Stop the presses. Funny though, despite the new-car excitement that is typical of new model releases, the hype is already dying out on the Gallardo after just a few press tests. The car buffs that I socialize with have already discounted the car, on design alone. The joke of the matter is that the demand for the 360 will hardly see a dent from the Gallardo. Horsepower will only sell you so many vehicles. Let's put it this way...making a fast car is easy. Developing a design that stirs emotions and generates raw excitement is a far more difficult task. The Top Gear test really illustrated that masterfully.

18. Hubert888

Hubert888 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 14, 2003
    Manhattan & LA
    Full Name:
    Hubert
    Great point! Is Lambo proud that they made a slightly faster car in 0-60mph than a 5-YEAR OLD FERRARI 360? Wait till Ferrari unveals the prototype that will replace the 360 next year. Lambo will be eatting dirt for the next 5 years!

All I can say is Ferrari always remains on TOP. They are the ones to beat all the time.

19. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    You may have been a wannabe Ferrari owner in a 996TT, but many people are not. Lamborghini, is most certainly NOT a Ferrari wannabe, thats why it contradicts so much of what Ferrari stands for.

As for Mr Lotus Elan owner, sounds like you have penis on the mind. Does your wife know about this?

20. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan

Thats a great comment coming from a 308 driver. If half the kids in Civics wanted to, for the money they spend on their Civics, could be driving 308/328's or even better.

21. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan

LOL! My Lambo cant match the style and evocative feel of a Ferrari? LOl? WHich one? they have a new one i dont know about in the works?

22. Hubert888

Hubert888 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 14, 2003
    Manhattan & LA
    Full Name:
    Hubert
    Allanlambo,

seems like you are not wanted on this board. people call you the hawaiian troll...etc.... and now i can see why they do.

People who own Ferraris and Lambos are usually very mature. I do not see that in your case, if you are even a Lambo owner as u claim.

23. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan

LOL! I love my SV, and if youve read the posts here, youd see that the Sv, even an old 1997 is just as fast or faster, than any Ferrari other than the Enzo, that is produced today. SO since you guys are arguing that the Gallardo should be better than the 360, since it is a 5 year old design, than the 360/550/575M should be better than the Lambo which which is a 1990 design, but ARE NOT!

Btw, I will keep the Sv forever. 20 years from now, just like the Countach does today, it will still steal the spotlight from any Ferrari.

Btw, i like the car in your profile! Is that a 240 or 260Z? My buddy had one of those! Fun to drive!

24. Hubert888

Hubert888 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 14, 2003
    Manhattan & LA
    Full Name:
    Hubert

25. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    It may not be better to you, but it is better to me.