LA Auto Gallery and dealers mentality | FerrariChat

LA Auto Gallery and dealers mentality

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by mgmbh1, Mar 19, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mgmbh1

mgmbh1 Rookie

Feb 27, 2004
    Hi all,

As some of you may have noticed on the board last week, I asked most of you for opinion concerning the market price on a 2004 575M. I have emailed LA autogallery and their email response was fairly fast. However, even after I have provided them my phone number and the best time to call, they are still reluctant to call me and insist that I give them a call. Which makes me wonder: is the dealership so stuck up that they are not willing to call a potential customer? Or they just don't care about selling their inventory? I am reluctant to call them because 1) I am the customer, if they really care about my potential business, they would take the initiative to call. 2) If I make the first call, they will feel that I am eager to have the car and won't be as flexible in discounting the car.

What are your opinions on this situation? Thanks in advance for your help.

2. W00dEar

W00dEar F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 24, 2004
    LI, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I think you are thinking too much of the issue.
    It is not a big deal, who calls who. If you are interested in the car, call them, see what they can do for you.
    Btw, dealer can be thinking:
    1) I am the dealer, I have the car you need, if you want the car, you would take the initiative to call.
    2) If I make the first call, buyer will feel that I am eager to sell the car and won't be as flexible in negociation.
    :)

3. KMS

KMS Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 22, 2003
    Never want any car so badly that you aren't prepared to find it elsewhere.

4. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Interesting. Usually, the he who speaks first, loses rule of sales applies at closing.
    Consider it a blessing - quite the opposite happened ad nauseum with another dealer of some uh, repute.

5. Cavallino Motors

Cavallino Motors F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    This could have a number of reasons.
    His job is to sit next to the phone and be available for your call 10h a day.
    You should be happy that YOU can call him when it fits YOUR time, not when he feels it is time and you have your hands full.

I would not make anything off that either. I am happy to call people if they want me too but it is so much easier if you call when you have the time to spare. After all if you drive a $ 200,000 Ferrari or are looking for one, your daily schedule is likely full.

just my 2c

MArtin
    www.4Ferrari.com

6. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    I am delighted when a dealership thinks enough of me not to call me looking for sales.

With that in mind, they are being professionals by allowing themselves to be at your disposal. They aren't being snobs, nor are they brushing off your potential business. People with enough money to buy such toys generally tend to be the type to ask first, not be asked.

Nothing really matters but the cost of signing and how they treat me when I bring my car in for a fix.

Everything else is just smoke, and should be ignored.

7. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    violent agreement here - you're over-analyzing.

your time is almost certainly more valuable than the sales guy's time. as a result, you're probably much more annoying if someone calls you when you're in the middle of something. and if he called you while you were shtupping your secretary, well, it wouldn't be the first time this sales guy annoyed a potential customer by inerrupting him during his busy day.

call the man when it's convenient for you. that's what he wants. he can't sell you without time - and you get to decide how much time he gets. so he needs to play the game as best he can. hyper-rational and reasonable.

but i stand by my original sentiment. NO WAY they're going to move on price. furthermore, i'd bet they'll move that car out at MSRP eventually, and they're willing to sit on it until then.

g/l - keep us posted.

doody.

8. matkat

matkat Formula 3

Mar 18, 2003
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Dave McGuire
    This is a touchy situation and really depends on how the salesmans attitude is.
    1)is he giving you the impression he is doing you a favour therefore you should call him:
    or
    2)is he concerned that he is taking up your time therefore you should call when it"s convient for you.

which really means there is no right or wrong,personally I prefer when they call me.
    Best regards
    Dave McGuire

9. tubeguy

tubeguy Formula 3

May 21, 2003
    Upland California
    Full Name:
    Kevin Deal
    Yea...who cares. It's nit-picky crap. Ask for a contact name. The Ferrari sales manager Eric is a cool guy. If they have not given you a name call HIM and tell him Kevin Deal referred you. He is very kind.

There is one guy that works there that is "aloof" but it may be he is just afraid (that's the way it manifests itself) but there are several other guys that are super cool.

Not connecting? Call Pat at Ferrari of Orange County. Another dude on my "cool guy" list.

10. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    There is NOTHING worse for the salesman (in high end retail) than a stroke. If you want the car, go get it! If you are more concerned with how THEY treat you than ACTUALLY HAVING THE CAR, well, then get a Lexus.

As far as the topic of this thread, Email solves this problem. the guy at LAAG should have simply said (in an email) something like, "GREAT...So when you are ready or if you have any more questions, call me."

I don't mind the bluntness. I give it just the same.

DL

11. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

Well said Darth.....

With the attitude that they had better call "you" if they want your business you won't get very far......if you tried to meet women in a club all the while waiting for them to approach you.......you'd understand my point.

Sorry.....but that's how I see it here.....you're buying a "car".......not a Faberge egg.

Call someone there.....walk in or make an appointment......drive it......make them an offer. It's a really easy business. Don't complicate it for yourself.

Good luck !!

12. ty (360mode)

ty (360mode) Formula Junior

Sep 25, 2002
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Tim
    maybe their phone bill is too high? call him collect :)

seriosly though, i think you're making too much of it. i would rather call so you know you can talk when it's convenient for you.

13. 575Mike

575Mike Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Why not look around at other dealerships with other 575 cars? I've been in your shoes and when you want a car it's tough, it's such an emotional thing, particularly when it comes to a ferrari which evokes so much more emotion than any other car. There is nothing wrong with following up and calling them but you can also make it known to them that you are looking at other cars. Be specific as to where other cars exist and make it known that you know what the market is on the 575M. I was recently at two dealerships in the midwest and both dealerships had a relatively plentiful supply of cars and both would offer substantial discounts. These cars are not in as high a demand as 360 cars despite many who say the 575 is a better car. Good luck!

14. DrewH

DrewH F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I set out to buy the exact car that I bought 1.5 years before I found it. I wanted a Rossa Corsa 355 Spider with a tan interior. As we cannot import a US model into Canada selection is limited.

I phoned all three dealerships in Canada several times over the 1.5 years and told them what I was looking for and left my number. I never got a call back.

I ended up finding my car from one of the dealerships only because I kept checking back. Point is: They don't give a %#@&! I wish I could run my business that way and make it a success.

DrewH

15. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

I think I'd call the manager(tell him that you got his name off someone on F-chat) and say that you e-mailed the guy asking him to contact you and he didn't get back. Say that you are looking to buy and would like to make an appointment with someone else who is more "hungry" for the business. If this manager is what everyone says he is then he should be overly accomodating to satisfy you and your purchase.

These clowns don't realize that if they are not customer oriented than the word gets out and it hurts them in the end. Case in point.

16. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Overanalyzing. I would just pick up the phone and call. The games are usually played after negotiations start, not before you've even had a single conversation.

17. titanium360

titanium360 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2003
    I know Ferrari of long island has a 575M titanium on blue F1 on the showroom ready for delivery. the sticker is around $250K . PM me if you are interested and i can certainly get you a good discount on the car.

why would you want to deal with someone who does not even return your phone call. it is not like you are trying to get a spyder from them!

18. StoryBook

StoryBook F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 1, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    MPL
    Called the local dealership with specs on the 360 coupe I wanted..............2 weeks later still no call back. Called up another dealership 150 miles away. next day had a choice of 2...............purchased rosso/tan the following day. I'm easy.

19. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    I'm not sure I understand?. You have the ability the call them (2 minutes of your time, tops) but don't, yet you have enough time to turn it into a thread on F-chat, where you will get a range of opinions, but will be no closer to a deal on a car you want.