355 FIERO...BONDO AND ALL!!! | Page 3 | FerrariChat

355 FIERO...BONDO AND ALL!!!

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by FerrariFrank1, Nov 4, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dave330gtc

Dave330gtc Formula Junior

Mar 12, 2002
    NW Indiana
    Full Name:
    David Smith
    Frank, I was just expressing my opinion on replicas on an open chat board. I didn't horn in on a private conversation. That is what these forums are all about. If it differs from your opinion that is fine in my book. If we all sat around and patted each other on the back and agreed with everything that was posted it would be pretty boring. I felt strong enough about my opinion to post it. You obviously do the same. I don't think I am going to change your mind and you aren't going to change mine about these issues and that is ok. It would be a dull world if we all thought the same way.

2. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I think I'm a such a Ferrari nut, that I feel secure enough to flirt with replicars without fear of being stripped of my "tifosi priviledges".

Bill, nice Avatar, your car? And what's the scoop of the ueber-308 you saw on the West coast? 600 HP by Norwood, turbos, blower, nitro?

3. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    No,Dave,you are correct. We BOTH,we ALL are entitled to our own opinion. I've posted that several times with others,too. I WELCOME a good debate! But,it was the MANNER in which you did it. You didn't just say," I don't like Replica's. They're not for me". Blah Blah Blah, And leave it at that. You had to go on and,basically,berate anyonewho DOES like Replica's. Going on to say,basically,Ferrari sellouts. That we should be ashamed for even THINKING about liking Replica's. How dare we!? Who were,as you were,simply expressing their OPINION. Thats all. Who are you to say that? NOBODY! You don't know us, Right. We weren't saying, "We like Replica's,and anyone that doesn't is a moron",were we? A copy,a Replica,in ANY form-car,motorcycles,(look at all of the Japanese Motorcycle Mfg. Co's. that,outright COPY Harleys!) is the ULTIMATE form of Compliment! Look at all of the "new" cars that come out from ANY automaker,that have Heavy,Ferrari "nuances". There was a thread showing that on the old board. With pictures of "new" cars,posted next to a picture of a Ferrari that it resembled. We were having a nice back and forth about Replica's,then,you have to "butt in" and start bad mouthing everybody. Thats pretty lame. I was raised that if you can't say something nice,then say nothing at all. Go back and read your first post,and tell me that it wouldn't piss anyone off. And,as I previously mentioned. I was just going to Laugh it off as ignorance,but,had some buddies over who were bugging me to reply. So,we did. Insulting someone on a chatboard,is almost like getting into road rage...you DONT KNOW who the "other guy" is,or,what the Other guy has. I'm done "debating" with you about this. I hereby declare that I like Replicars. I also acknowledge that Dave doesn't. But,please,in the future,you may wish to choose not to piss off people who are merely expressing their opinions,just as I wouldn't to you. Fair enough? "Miami Vice" is on now,and they're driving that,most undetectable,Black and Tan, Ferrari 365GTS/4 Daytona Spyder....er.. .MacBurnie Covette Replicar! :) And,I totally agree with Andreas' last statement. I LOVE Ferrari's enough to feel secure enough in my Love of the Marque,to "Appreciate" a nice,complimentay Replicar of the most beautiful cars in the world. Copied like the paintings of the Great Masters!

4. bill365

bill365 F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Chicago area
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Hi Everybody,
    I don't think that Dave was putting anybody down for liking the repops,
    he was merely stating his opinion on the subject, as we all freely do. I think that we could be a little more accepting of divergent positions. I realize and respect yours and everybody else's feelings on the subject, and I think that we can discuss our differences regarding a paricular position in a friendly manner. This forum as Dave mentioned is not private conversation it is a place for the meeting of the minds, a place for learning, whether it be about the cars or the people. Sometimes we may draw a little evil nature from what someone has written but I imagine that at least most of the time, and in Dave's response I see it as being intended in that manner. Just as some thought that Dave's first post a bit pointed, I also thought that Frank's was, it's all a matter of perspective. The Ferrarilist lost a lot of participants due to a person's unending insults and rude posts and empirical diatribe, I personally would like to see a little more patience and tolerance. I don't want the same thing that happened on the F-List to happen here. If a post is presented on the site, you should expect someone to reply and you could also expect that some of those posts may not agree with what you have expressed. That's OK, don't take it personally (unless they say "you are a dirty rotten C********R") that's what makes it all happen - CELEBRATE THE DIFFERENCE - that's conversation, invite the counterpoint, it keeps us thinking. On the other questions :

Dave, yes I have known John, Bob and Yvette Goodpaster well for many years, wonderful people. In fact that is who organized the ride. Have you ever been to the holiday party? It's coming up, as you might have suspected.

Andreas, the 308 with 670HP was built by the owner (who was involved in Ferrari's IMSA program) using a leftover manifold allowing the careful application of a Dyer blower. I used to have a pic of it but I guess it got lost, I looked for it before I made the post referring to it. Yes and thanks, the wheel avatar is my car.

5. bill365

bill365 F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Chicago area
    Full Name:
    Bill
    "Sometimes we may draw a little evil nature from what someone has written but I imagine that at least most of the time, and in Dave's response I see it as being intended in that manner."

I am truly sorry, I DID NOT mean to say that.. correction follows :

Sometimes we may draw a little evil nature from what someone has written but I imagine that at least most of the time, and in Dave's response I see it as NOT being intended in that manner

6. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Bill. I like you and respect you. But,I was not the only one that saw malice in Dave's post. Please,read it again,and tell me that. He DOES have the right to express his opinion. I am not arguing that! I WELCOME diverse opinions. I'm always up for a friendly debate,and I am Man enough to admit when I am wrong. No problem. But,the WAY that he was saying it,basically saying that those of us that do like Replica's,are Ferrari sellouts. Don't know or really appreciate the marque. Not "True" Ferrari enthusiasts. And so on. He doesn't know us. I wasn't even going to respond to that post,as,thats always the best course of action when you don't like something,or,don't want to take it as far as it has gone. He was Berating Andreas and I for simply stating that we liked Replicars. And,in my book,thats not right. We are entitled to our opinion just as anyone else is. And,if someone else just so happens to disagree,I can live with that. No biggie! BUT...when it gets personal,and he started berating us just because we expressed OUR OPINION,that's crossing the line. And,I have stuck up for myself,as well as others,my whole life. I just can't sit back and let some guy,who doesn't even know me,tell me that I am any less a Ferrari enthusiast,SIMPLY because I also happen to like Replica's. And,how about Andreas. he's probably THE most enthusiastic Ferrari guy that I've ever met. Don't you agree? And,because he also likes Replica's,now he's a sellout,too? I don't think so. I stand firmly on my ground that Dave went a little too far. One of the many things that he said was that "QUOTE:" A TRUE Ferrari lover would never be interested in driving a cobbled up piece like that". I AM a true Ferrari lover. I have been for over 26 YEARS. Andreas is,too. We OWN Ferrari's. Where in the hell does Dave get off even saying something like that? Does he actually think that he's speaking for the whole Ferrari community,and comdemning us just for liking Replica's? He said a few other things like: "Is it that important for you to try to impress people that you don't know". No,it's not. I could give a sh*t if someone THINKS that it's real or not. I DON'T EVEN HAVE ONE! And,IF I even did have a Replica,would never try to pass it off as real. You went on the drive to Geneva. Can you not say that those 2- 250GTO Replica's were not very cool? Do you think that the girls would really try to pass them off as originals? Me neither. And,when was the last time that you saw an authentic '63 250GTO driving around the streets of Chicagoland? Just like any other Replica. I will venture to say that that is NOT the intent of the majority of people that own one,to try to B.S.,or,as Dave said,"impress" people THAT THEY DON'T EVEN KNOW! They own them SIMPLY to have a FUN car! I saw a young guy,years back,that had an Auburn Boattail Speedster. I asked him,"Man,thats a beautiful car. Is it real?" He IMMEDIATELY responded by saying,"No,it's a Replica". Case closed. He could have EASILY told me that it was real. He didn't. If someone has an Eddie Lawson Replica Kawasaki,do you think that they are going to go around telling everyone that they are,in fact,Eddie Lawson? Or,that this is his actual bike? Same thing for Replica's. They are JUST FUN Cars! Thats the extent of it. No subliminal messages. No Fraud. No "trying to be what I'm not". Just having FUN! Plain and SIMPLE! What if some guy is just absolutley crazy about 365 Daytona Spyders,but,doesn't have $350-$400K to buy a real one. And,if he did,would he want to risk getting it totalled? No. So,you would end up not even driving it. Where's the Fun in that? So,a replica is a Safe,inexpensive,ALTERNATIVE. Harmless! And,if you happen to like them,it DOES NOT mean that you are ANY LESS a TRUE FERRARI ENTHUSIAST. The defense rests.

7. Dave330gtc

Dave330gtc Formula Junior

Mar 12, 2002
    NW Indiana
    Full Name:
    David Smith
    Bill, I have been to the Goodpaster holiday party. One year about 10 years ago they had my Norton on display in back while it was being restored. I have been a customer of theirs off and on for over 30 years.

8. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Lastly........IMO,the guys that buy these Original,Beautiful,Rare cars simply as an investment,with no TRUE love of the Marque.Just part of their "Portfolio".And,keep them from the view of US REAL FERRARI ENTHUSIASTS,by putting a car cover on them,and hiding them in a garage somewhere.....Are WORSE than the Ferrari ENTHUSIASTS who have Replica's. Those cars should be shared with the rest of us. But,some will say,"It's their car,and they can do whatever they want with it". So,seeing one out driving,even if it's a replica,has got to suffice as the next best thing. P.S.Andreas. Next time that we want to discuss Replica's. I'll just send an E-mail,as so not to "offend" any self proclaimed "Purists!". Heaven Forbid!!!! I mean.To some,our cars aren't even Real Ferrari's! Even though they are THE most recognizable Ferrari ever made. Just some silly little project that Ferrari wanted to do for 14 -15 years! All of the badging,Cavalino's and emblems on our cars are "replica's"....Shhh! Don't tell anyone! :)

9. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Now...Back to the original train of thought with this thread. I dropped off the Camera today. Because I want a CD of it,along with the pictures. I won't get them back until probably Friday. So,then check this thread for the pictures of "The car that started it all. The 355 Bondo Fiero!" *** DISCLAIMER: Make sure that you are NOT eating or drinking anything when you view the pix. I DO NOT want to be responsible for anyone choking when they are laughing so hard!***

10. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    FRIDAY!!!!!?????!!!!!

Aww man!

DL (west coast intrigue)

11. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    OCD on the bondo bucket! Sorry double post.

DL

12. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    I know,I know. I was upset too. But,I wanted to get them on CD too,so that they'll be easier to post,and keep. Believe me...if they turn out alright,it will be worth the wait!

13. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    IF????? WHAT IS THIS????? Say it ain't so Joe, say it ain't so.

DL

14. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    I only grabbed the first available camera that was laying ariound at my house,a "disposable" one,that my Daughter had left over from her school "Camera Day". So that I could get back and get the pictures before he left. But,I am sure that they'll turn out. They always have. And,thats why I wanted them also on a CD,so that the clarity would be better. Patience,my boy,patience! It will be worth it! :)

15. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    All right, all right........"Jeopardy" theme song playing in the background.

DL

16. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    But,the reason that I said,"If" was that sometimes these disposable camera's don't work right. THATS why I took approx. 12 pictures to make sure that at least SOME should come out good. I took the pictures on an overcast afternoon,around 2:00PM. So,there will be no glare,no shadows. And,it was plenty bright to see........ALL of the DETAIL!!!! The Horrible Details!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

17. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    One day closer to "Picture Day Zero"

Bump!

DL

18. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Yes.I am calling Walgreens in a little while to see if they might be in.

19. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Nope..."check back Friday after 2:00PM",they said. It's a comin',It's a comin',It's a comin'! I'm telling you,it will be worth the wait. Did you notice the Bondo shortage on the Autoparts store shelves? All because of that guy. Did you happen to check the Stocks,today,and notice the huge Spike in Bondo stock? Yep. All because of that guy! You wil NOT believe all of the Bondo that he used...on a pliable,plastic bodied car! But...I STILL cannot believe how even and straight that it appears to the naked eye. It is VERY funny! ESPECIALLY...the "Hand Painted" Cavalino badging and SF shields. I took close ups of those,and HOPE that they came out clearly. Thats why I wanted the pix also on a CD. I've been busy doing things around the House and to my cars before Winter comes to Chicago,( which,they say,will be next week!) Thats why I've neglected to get them on. Sorry 'bout that. But,it's a good thing that I did go back to this car,immediately,and get the pictures that I did,as,it hasn't been back since. Maybe his car got "red tagged" for safety violations and overweight? :)

20. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Frank, while Walgreens is working on your CD you might want to prepare yourself for the upload of these pictures:

You need to shrink/resize them to 640x480 pixels (or 480x640 if portrait). So find yourself a suitable graphics software that does the trick for you. *IF* you're lucky, Walgreens already put the pics in different resolutions onto the CD.

21. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Man,thats way over my head and computer capabilities,right now. I sent some pix from the Picture CD's that I have from the Geveva Drive,and Lakefront drive,to one of my brothers out in AZ. On the CD,it gives you an option of Small,for E-mail,or,Large,for portraits. So,I'll try ...

22. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
  23. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    LOL! Yes,now THAT would be the way to go! Much less work. Much more "professional" results, (O.K.,now I just set myself up for another attack from another "purist".) Would be MUCH better in the long run,AND,can always switch it back,so that you didn't piss off any "Fiero purists". :) BTW. Personally,I prefer the 348 look over the 355. I like the side fins,like a "mini" Testarossa. BUT...I HATE the taillights on the 348. IMO look very "Cheap". (But.I LOVE them on the Testarossa's. Go figure?) I've seen "355 round tailight kits for a 348" That would fix my issues with 348 looks right there. And,I prefer the body colored front spoiler and side skirts on the latter 348's. (and TR's ,for that matter.) Don't like those Black ones.Look too much like "Plastic Lawn and Garden edging". Which,I am SURE that some guy,some where,has actually used on their car to try to "reproduce" that look. But,it's probably just "riveted on",and is all "Wavy" and stuff. Keep a camera in the car at ALL times. You NEVER know WHAT you'll see!

24. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
  25. bill365

bill365 F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Chicago area
    Full Name: