Interesting News on the Maserati MCS in Autoweek | FerrariChat

Interesting News on the Maserati MCS in Autoweek

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by FLATOUTRACING, Mar 19, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FLATOUTRACING

FLATOUTRACING F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2001
    East Coast
    Full Name:
    Jon K.
    1) Seems they ditched the carbon ceramic brakes on the planned road car. Anyone think this might be an addmission that the ones on the Enzo aren't up to speed. I have heard all sorts of stories about the Porsche and the Enzo's ceramic disk causing all sorts of problems (also much discussed on F Chat).

2) Last time Maserati crossed the finish line at an international motorsports event (professional event) was 1967 with a Cooper-Maserati Grand Prix car at Kylami,

3) Indicated the car is not coming to the US (I thought Jim G. is on the list for one??)

4) They were still deciding on what carbon fiber panels to use on certain sections of the car only 5 days before the car show/unveiling. Seems kind of rushed to me.

This is the car that the Enzo should have been. While I don't like some of the details (tail lights, wheels, ...) on the MC12/MCS on the whole I like it much better in terms of styling than the Enzo.

Can't wait to see this car on the race track.

Regards,

Jon P. Kofod
    www.flatoutracing.net (new site)

2. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Not unless it's US legal and usable on the street.(front overhang)
    So far subject to holomagation there are 2 of them entered in FIA as well as 1 Lambo GTR. These days my eyes are wandering towards a 917 or a Paris to Dakar P car.
    Best

3. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    I agree with you Jon,
    The styling of the car has better balance. The front of the car is beautiful and flowing. The 'C' pillar to rear fender area has more meat and allows the lines from the front of the car to flow to the rear without being chopped up.

After seeing pictures of the rear of the car (the MCC) in Road and Track it appears the tail lights were more of an after thought.

I like the shape of the rear (grill?) opening of the Maser (MCC) better than the Enzo "smile" but the cantalever of the wing past the sides of the body has got to go.

Just my two pennies worth,

DJ

4. FLATOUTRACING

FLATOUTRACING F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2001
    East Coast
    Full Name:
    Jon K.
    Jim,

I think Symbolic still has a a 917 for sale (Martini car?). That's my dream car and heads the top of the race car list along with a 333SP and a Maserati Birdcage.

I know your GT40 is street legal but would you expect to be able to make the 917 street legal?

DJ,

I agree with you. I hope they change the tail lights when production starts. I also didn't like the wheels at all. I think black wheels would look better.

Regards,

Jon

5. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Jon
    That is a great one. The car is now in Europe. It was a recent no sale at an auction at about 1.65 million. It is the car that won Sebring. The problem,for me, as you've pointed out is that it's probably impossible to make it US street legal. That's probably why I haven't bought one. 1967 is the magic year. (In the US)
    Best

6. Wickeddeus

Wickeddeus Karting

Nov 12, 2003
    I think the Enzo looks better.

7. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion

512 S !! Please !! PLEASE !!!

8. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    The Enzo brakes problem are just internet hoax..So far just one owner had troubles with his brakes because he didnt use an appropriate product to clean his wheels and that atethe rotors.

A French Enzo owner who has more 4000 of track driven kms on his is still on his delivered pads and rotors.

9. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    ditto. I have never heard of Enzo break issues....

..that said Porsche is another story...

10. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Isnt if you use a silicone based cleaner it ruins them?

11. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    I know of no automotive product that will harm regular steel/iron rotors.....

4000 track Kms--unbelievable, I only get 800 track miles on a set of upgraded (Ferrodo DS2500) F355 pads. But then again, I drive fast on the track......

An Enzo in Houston has had more than one set replaced due to track duty, and then switched to iron rotors to alleviate the $40K service charges.

12. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Totally agree a street car only to homologate the race car ... do hope it does well on the track. There is a lot of competition nowadays!

Pete

13. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Cold water, stupid people...:p

14. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Completely agree with the latter two comments... the MCS may even be an aesthetic match for the F50 (my favorite)... much better looking than the Enzo, IMO. However, not sure I agree with the first comment... to be given Enzo's name, I think it appropriate that the car looks as much like an F1 racecar as possible... even if that means over-the-top looks... to be the car that gets his name, it needs to be unique in some way that is at the heart of Enzo himself... racing. JMHO. But if I was in the market for either, I'd be buying the F50 over the MCS over the Enzo.

15. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    I argee with Jon. This is the way the Enzo should have looked from the get go. ESPECIALLY the front. I can't stand the F1 wannabe nose. It is the ugliest part of the car. I have seen three Enzo's in person. Tha cars do look better in person, but even then I still can't stand the nose. If I was an Enzo owner, and they offered the new Maser in the U.S., you can be sure I would sell the Enzo and get the Maser.