Digital Air/Fuel Ratio Meter | FerrariChat

Digital Air/Fuel Ratio Meter

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by chrismorse, Mar 19, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. chrismorse

chrismorse Formula 3

Feb 16, 2004
    way north california
    Full Name:
    chris morse
    Wayne at Pelican parts bouught this meter up on a carb rejetting thread and I thought it was going to be a BIG subject, hence the new thread.
    Does anyone have any experience with this or a similar unit?
    I ordered one today for $339. and am looking forward to using it to rejet my 77 308 which now has a very nice $607 Flowmaster system on it - Awsome sound!!!

Chris

2. abarthracer

abarthracer Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2003
    Falmouth, Cape Cod
    Full Name:
    david S.

3. abarthracer

Dec 6, 2003
    Falmouth, Cape Cod
    Full Name:
    david S.
    Has Wayne posted a "coupon" discount that he was trying to do. I am also ready to buy one, just waiting to see if he worked something out with the Moderator. Anyone know if this happened? Also, do you have to weld a "threaded Bung" into your exhaust to use it?
    David

4. Dandy_Don

Dandy_Don Karting

Dec 8, 2003
    The Woodlands TX
    Full Name:
    Don McCormick
    Chris, Do you have pix of the flowmasters for $607? Did you go with a single exhaust or a dual exhaust? SS or mild steel? Probably is mild steel for that price. What model # exhaust did you use? How much of the stock system did you end up reusing? I assume the headers and the first length of pipe. Did you install test pipes in lieu of cats or what? Anyway would love to know the details. Russ Turner (snj5) is looking at flowmaster as well. Details please Don

5. jm3

jm3 F1 Rookie

Oct 3, 2002
    United States
    Full Name:
    JM3
    It seems to work really well. You cannot beat it for the cost. The 02 sensor that comes with it is worth $180 -200 on its own.

You do have to weld a bung into the exhaust at the collector for the most accurate readings, but I may try just sticking it way down (up?) in the outlet just to see how accurate or inaccurate it is. After all, a V8 Ferrari has the outlet closer to the collector than most cars. The 02 sensor is a 5 wire heated sensor, so the temp is irrelevant, just the effect of the continuing combustion downstream of the collector.

A car with cats will always have to weld in a bung, or use the stock bung on an efi car and fake open loop the computer. The kit comes with one bung and a plug.

I am having a wonderful time jetting my car the old fashioned way, as it is required to open the car up on the country roads near my house to make sure it is running J U S T right.

6. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Made in Australia. Highly recommended by a tuner I trust.

I bought as a kit, my brother, a Sony engineer assembled. You can also buy pre-built. Has to be calibrated to your altitude (Chicago is 650 feet). Reads from 8:1 to 25:1. Pretty sophisticated set of algorithms and processing. My "Sony sibling" impressed with design and workmanship.

Had the Tubi cut, two bungs welded in with plugs (no cats otherwise you would want header/collector mount). Takes WB sensor (Bosch, NTK). Kit is couple of hundred dollars, sensor the same. Mounted "processing box" beneath passenger seat and AF meter (digital display) below AC vents. Will remove AF once dialed in and car run at all the usual tracks.

Just finished balancing the carbs and setting the idle mixture. Will provide in field report once used in anger at the track.
    HTH
    Philip

7. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    This is with 36mm/160/190/50? Accel pump?
    Inquiring minds want to know. :)

OBTW
    cams coming back next week.

8. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Great Russ, look forward to hearing more about the cams.

Mark Dees (of Bishop book fame) ran 40 DCNF/36mm V/150M/170 AC/60 idle. I assume F24 ET given it was a 3X series DCNF and a GT4.

I am starting with
    44 DCNF
    36 venturis (can get 38s too)
    60 idle
    150 main
    165 AC
    I think F36 emulsions - I have it all written down somewhere.

Pumps are per 40 DCNFs. Have to do all the testing once it's been aligned (next ten days) and then I can post some empirical data.

The WB is quite a trick, recommend it.

Chris, sorry for hi-jacking the thread

9. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Oh, seems to be idling about 14:1. when it is happy. Surprising to me, I thought it would be richer given the cam profile.

I was using manometers to sync the carbs. Get them about even, one set is spitting like crazy up through the venturis as it is too lean. Tried to set mixture with digital tach, took a fuel bath. Anyway, eventually set the idle so that it is not backfiring or spitting through the carbs (had flames earlier!) and the manometers are =/- 5% or so. Man, what a job!

As I said, I'll post more on the AF and jetting in a couple of weeks.

10. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    To further unashamedly hijack the thread - Chris, I am interested in as much as you have on the flowmaster and resonated tips (part #'s?) and if you have photos.
    With my cockeyed 3.2 liter manifolds both exiting starboard, this is the best dual set-up I've come up with so far that I am still measuring out. Would love to hear your experience in detail.

11. chrismorse

chrismorse Formula 3

Feb 16, 2004
    way north california
    Full Name:
    chris morse
    Jeez, dave is that really your picture with the two cams - or what ever??

As of this moprning, there has been no "coupon".

I am, however, anxiously awaiting the receipt of tester with a threaded bung.

sorry, it has been a long day with no food and recently, a couple of beers while I answer email and chat.

My mind wanders, (alot).

with malice aforethought,
    I remain,
    chris

12. abarthracer

Dec 6, 2003
    Falmouth, Cape Cod
    Full Name:
    david S.
    Unfortunately, those aren't legally "my" cams, but I did take the picture, along with others. A Ebay marketing idea!

13. Wayne 962

Wayne 962 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 27, 2003
    Sorry for the delay - I'm getting ready to go on vacation right now. Margins are thin on this product, so instead of a $$$ coupon off, I will offer a FREE Ferrari model (we pick it), but it will be one of the ones from this page:

http://www.drivewerks.com/catalog/ShopCart/STUF/POR_STUF_exoto1-detail.htm

To get it with the Innovate Meter, simply enter the coupon number DWGIFT-1 into the online shopping cart, and it should work.

Everyone thank Rob too, as he semi-agreed that this was okay. We're not a FerrariChat sponsor (yet), as I'm not sure that there's enough of a product line overlap to justify the costs (nope, it's not cheap when compared to other outlets).

Anyways, this is a neat product, and I'm having fun using it with the 308. I just got the RPM transducer today, but their availability is low right now, so it's not on the site...

Here's the link to the page:

http://www.drivewerks.com/catalog/shopcart/MISC/POR_MISC_INNOVT_pg1.htm

-Wayne