Delivery of my first | FerrariChat

Delivery of my first

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Gunslinger7976, Mar 19, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gunslinger7976

Dec 28, 2003
    Can someone please take a moment and help me with this.
    I have bought my first Ferrari, (a 1988 328) and it will be delivered to me this Saturday or Sunday. Man I can't wait! Anyway, I'm wondering about what is appropriate when it comes to, "taking care," of the driver. The car came from the west coast, (I'm in central NY,) and was picked up Tuesday. The driver of the truck it's comming on as been fantastic about calling me with his progress ect... (Some how I have been able to resist the urge to call him every 5 mins. LOL.)
    Anyway, I think I should probably tip the guy but I really have no idea what would be an appropriate tip.

2. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    After hearing too many stories of scratches and damage during deliveries I think a tip to a driver that 'goes the extra mile' isn't out of line.

A percentage of the total delivery costs?

Then again, the guy is being paid to do a job so should he get extra for performing it correctly?

DJ

3. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Well, it's hardly a valet or a restaurant waitress, but if the car comes off the truck without the front and rear crushed in, I think slipping him a Benjamin with a "Thanks!" handshake might be cool.

You know the James Dean Porsche (wrecked) DISAPPEARED from the back of a cross country hauler, so.......

4. Bmyth-FDC

Bmyth-FDC F1 Rookie

Oct 4, 2002
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Byron
    I felt the same way when my car arrived - how do you tip a guy for doing a job he was getting paid to do? However, he was a nice guy and took extra care unloading my car... so I just casually mentioned to him that I didn't want to insult him and didn't know what was appropriate but would like to at least buy him lunch... I gave him $20 for lunch. He was very appreciative. :)

5. l'esecuzioneItaliana

Jan 29, 2004
    When my Ferrari was delivered back in December of '00, I was just like you, anxious as hell. My delivery cost with all this insurance stuff and an oil change and a full tank of gas etc and $1,200. The guy that delivered it was very courteous and I talked to him at the dealership. When he finally arrived, I didnt tip him at all. Instead, I took him for a 175MPH ride down Bolivar Peninsula.

Its up to you, money or a nice, exhilarating ride through your neighborhood. Make it a good day or not, the choice is yours.

6. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    First off, congratulations on your new car. Sounds like a beaut!

Second, I tipped my guy $60, but that's because he did a phenomenal job, in all aspects: keeping me appraised along route, fitting the delivery around my work schedule (even though he had other cars in other destinations), and finally, unloading her meticulously. There is no "wrong" answer: you should obviously tip whatever you feel is appropriate.

Third, given that you are located in central New York, you should know that the FerrariChat New York Tri-State chaper is alive and well. Be sure to browse our forum. There are a number of exciting things that are planned (including a run this weekend, weather permitting). We look forward to you participating in our drives/events.

7. yasir

yasir Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    If you are happy and pleased with the delivery of the car then i would say Tip'em.However either i don't give any tip or i usually give enough where it's noticeable.I would say $40-$50 is not bad especially if he has to take your calls every 5 minutes,LOL.
    Later, Yasir

8. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    So a moderate tip AND a short 'scream' down the road sounds like a good way to say thanks, something to break up his hours of monotony on the road.:p

DJ

9. GaryReed

GaryReed F1 Rookie

Feb 9, 2002
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Congrats on buying a 328!!

I think it would be appropriate to offer to buy the driver lunch/dinner via a $25-$50 tip, if you're happy with their service.

I would have tipped the driver that delivered my Boxer from California, but I was out of state on business the day it arrived and didn't even think about telling my girlfriend to tip him after he parked it in the garage.

It felt like the longest 24 hours in my life, waiting to get home on a plane the next day to see my new toy!

10. RAYMAN

RAYMAN Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 10, 2004
    Oklahoma
    Full Name:
    Raymond Santilli
    Boy you guys are too nice, when my 348 was delivered, I didn't even think about a tip after I handed over $750.00 cash. I figured that was pay enough, Also I didn't like the guy driving it out of the truck, made me nervous as heck.

Ray

11. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Ray, he probably drove it INTO the truck, too!

12. cohiba_man

cohiba_man Formula Junior

Jan 23, 2003
    Canada
    Full Name:
    John
    I'd toss 'im a c-note

(Give him $100)

13. RAYMAN

RAYMAN Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 10, 2004
    Oklahoma
    Full Name:
    Raymond Santilli
    Yeah, but I didn't have to watch it. Besides, my guy was just a truck driver doin his job, damned if want him showing me how the car works, which he attempted to do!

14. l'esecuzioneItaliana

Jan 29, 2004
    Yeah when the guy that delivered my car tried to teach me how to use the F1 tranny it was funny. I was like 'Sir, you have no idea what your doing.' Because my friend has an F1 so I have an idea how to go into neutral and shift and all that good stuff.

Ohh, and popping the hood(trunk). That was the best. He was all under the dash and looking everywhere. I guess he forgot to check the drivers side door sill. And he was like, 'This car aint put together very good, everything under the dash is exposed.' I was like, 'If you mean it aint got not chintzy plastic like GM cars, your damn right.'

15. Gunslinger7976

Dec 28, 2003
    Thanks to all of you for the reply. Let me just say that so far the driver has been fantastic on the phone. (HE called each night to inform me of his progress.) Obviously if he wrecks my car he's gonna get more than a "tip" from me, LOL. I realize he is being paid to do a job, but he is the driver, not the owner of the company. I'm sure he is not getting my 1,700 bucks it cost me to move this car. My thoughts on this very greatly but I don't want to offend him either way. I think some where around 50-75 bucks is gonna cover it.
    Anyway, the car arrives tomorrow morning and I haven't a clue as to how I'm going to sleep tonight! Think I'll just stay up and wait!
    Thanks again for the help.

I'll be checking out the NY section Ghost. You guys I'll be hearing from me. :)

16. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    We look forward to it. Price of admission, though, is pics of your car. ;)