Dumbest question of the year | FerrariChat

Dumbest question of the year

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by wfo900, Mar 19, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wfo900

wfo900 Formula Junior

Aug 19, 2003
    Annapolis
    Full Name:
    Rich C
    OK on a 355 when you check the oil do you screw the dipstick back in or read it with the dipstick just sitting on the top of the threads ?

2. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    There is a margin of error of +1Qt and -1Qt with optimal level in the middle. or about 1" per Qt.

The difference between screwing the dipstick all the way in and just putting it on the top is less than 20% of the margin for error or about a cup of oil.

I can read mine without wiping and redipping.

3. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I can read mine without wiping and redipping.[/QUOTE]

Oh boy, you have left yourself WIDE open on that one dude!! Must I must resist the temptation. :)

4. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Ummm, is lipstick involved? :)

5. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Hey wait a minute here, I hate to object, but I think my post asking about what you call the hood is the dumbest question of the year!

6. Red348

Red348 Guest

Its not such a dumb question.....I asked the mechanic exactly the same question and was told (for a 348) to warm up the car, then rev it up to 3500-4000 rpm for about 1 minute for the oil to be properly circulated and then check the level soon after switching off. He indicated that the dip stick could be left to rest on the treads without screwing it back on to check oil level.

However, in the interest of engine hygiene, please wipe before redipping.

7. kenyon

kenyon F1 Rookie

Oct 7, 2002
    East Yorkshire
    Full Name:
    Justin Kenyon
    I have been told to read my oil when the car is fully warmed through and is idling. You should do this with dry sumps.