Parking your Ferrari in public places | FerrariChat

Parking your Ferrari in public places

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Santini, Mar 19, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Santini

Santini Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2003
    North Carolina
    Curious as to what sort of precautions you take when parking your Ferrari in public places, like a grocery store or restaurants for instance (although I'm sure most of you don't use them for daily drivers). People are automatically attracted to beautiful sports cars; how do you protect your baby when you have to leave it "alone"? Do you just not put yourself and your car in that situation or do you simply not sweat it?

2. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    Precautions? I take the best one of all: I don't park it in public places.

I guess it's a little strange but I use it for fun and enjoyment and I then I put it back in the garage.

3. azheman

azheman Karting

Feb 3, 2004
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    When I drive the 308, I valet it or try and park away from other people. The main thing I'm working about is dumb people (especially in SUVs) opening their door up and hitting my car. I usually have it at a place where there is valet though. That is if I even park the car. lol

4. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    I park mine most anywhere. The only thing I do, which is a bit of an ass-thing to do, it take up two parking spots (park right over the line). The doors open REALLY wide and I prefer to have some space.

Otherwise, park anywhere. Lumber mills, grocery stores, whatever. It's a car, get over it.

--Dan

5. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Other than avoiding tight parking spaces, I don't really think much about it. After a couple years, it's become apparent that I'm my own worst enemy. I've done some stupid things like banging the targa top against the door, backing into a light pole, wiping off bird s**t with my watch on. I'm surprised DCFS hasn't taken away my baby...

6. Santini

Santini Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2003
    North Carolina
    I remember seeing this little kid at a British car show, years ago, smacking the back of a Lambo Countach (spectator's car) with a stick. His dad (I don't think he was a Ferrari owner ;) ) was standing right next to him and didn't say a word to him, oblivious. Incredible.

7. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    o have owned my 360 spider for 4 weeks with the weather just coming around so i am facing the same delema....i would take two parking spots because it can piss people off and they will do something nasty to your car!!!!!!! other owner have told me they alway valet park it themselves....and they try to park in a parrell spot so doors can hit it....other wise just use common sense and try not to be too paranoid...it suins the fun of car owner ship...drive it enjoy itand take it places...its only a car!!! HAHA!!!!!

8. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    i meant i would not take 2 spots..sorry about the poor spelling ...i was up all last nightand i cant spell anyway!!!!!!

9. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    As a daily driver, park it reasonably. i like being next to handicap spot as i park close to the dividing line. At malls i park at Sears Automotive as Sears has MANY security cameras watching their parking lots. Basically park a bit out of the way rather than in a tight crowd.

Enjoy the Walk (59 days to go),

Steven R. Rochlin

10. W00dEar

W00dEar F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 24, 2004
    LI, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I am very surprised you have not experienced any unhappy moments yet parking this way, maybe you live somewhere ppl are just nice, not like NYC here :)

If you park like this(intentional taking 2 spots) in NY, your car is 100x more likely to get keyed or dent, INTENTIONALLY.

11. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas

Dude..... have you seen the movie "Ferris Bueller's Day Off"?

12. W00dEar

W00dEar F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 24, 2004
    LI, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I don't have a Ferrari yet, but I own and have owned some decent rides, currently E46 M3 and 996TT.

In my opinion, if you have a nice car, you should enjoy it by driving it. When I get my F355, I will not just keep it in garage because I worry about parking in public.
    Granted, taking it for a 5 mins run to supermarket might be overkill, but if I am going to a restaurant or shopping places, I will take the car and park in public. I will not take 2 spots, but I will find spot that's big, or next to curb or handicap spot, or I just park far by itself. Valet is good, but depends on what kind of attendant, some valet place let me tell you, I rather take chance park in crowd myself :)

Afterall, Ferrari or not, it is a car, if you tried and you somehow still get a dent, so be it. Worry about it all the time and don't even drive it, is more miserable in my opinion.

13. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Another thing about parking in public lots is that most people are so damn lazy that they won't park more than 50 feet from the store, so most often the back half of the parking lot is wide open. I swear to god, you see cars waiting for a spot 5 away from three open slots, all to avoid 20 extra feet of walking when they're headed into a grocery store where they'll probably walk a quarter mile before they're done!

14. reinerkaiser

reinerkaiser Karting

Nov 25, 2003
    Redondo Beach
    Full Name:
    Reiner Kaiser
    DO NOT repeat DO NOT take up two spaces or park diagonally
    unless there is tons of other available space...

-I never park the Ferrari in public places

-When I go to a restaurant or club, I always pay more and
    ask to park myself. In LA, 20$ is usually what it takes.
    In exchange I get a nice spot, can leave right away after
    the club and don't have to worry about theft or vandalism
    I do have to worry about people leaning against it tho.

Case in point: The other night on Sunset Strip,
    some random girl leans against my car as I leave the club

I:"is this your Ferrari"
    Her:"No"
    I:"Why are you leaning against it then?"
    Her: "Why? Is it yours?"
    I:"Uh Huh."
    Her: "Prove it. Open it".
    I:"Get your <expletive deleted> <expletive deleted> off my Ferrari!!!!!
    She did get the point.

15. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    I rarely park in tight spots.

Never let it out of my site for more then 5 sec.

90% of the time, its a drive for the car's sake with no stops. The car IS the reason I am driving period.

I know valets, and even they tell me, NEVER USE A VALET. Esp Ferraris and they way they are....

16. tigermilk

tigermilk Formula Junior

Jul 12, 2001
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    James P. Smith
    Glad I still have my boycott of going to places with mandatory valet parking. First, why should I pay more to eat at your restaurant? Second, why should I pay more to park my own friggin' car?

Perhaps if I had a 355 or up I'd be concerned about parking in public spots, but really, it's only a car. My 308 is simply basic transportation, albeit nicer looking than most cars on the road.

17. Coyote

Coyote Rookie

Nov 10, 2003
    Toronto, Canada
    I never leave the car unattended in the city and only take it to cafes or restaurants with an outside patio where I can keep an eye on it. The vast majority of people are respectful but it only takes one a**hole to ruin your evening.. or worse. Hasn't happened yet though. I mostly take it to the private airstrip whenever I go flying. I much prefer driving it out in the country anyway. Traffic density in Toronto is way too heavy to get any enjoyment from city driving anyway - similar to L.A. or NYC.

18. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    As a new owner, still to scared to park it willy nilly around the city. Too much attention, too little appreciation given by people in general that it's a Ferrari. Once I get the 550, maybe I'll relax a little more. :D

19. l'esecuzioneItaliana

Jan 29, 2004
    It depends, if on the street you really dont have a choice. In a parking lot, away from every other car--as far as possible.

20. normhuff

normhuff Formula Junior

Dec 14, 2003
    Peoria, IL
    Full Name:
    J. Norman Huff, Esq.
    People act too stupid around the car, so I'm unable to park it out of sight. I also get tired of answering the same questions of how fast I've had it and how much it cost, so I just fabricate the answers anymore. Tonight it was three young boys about 10 years of age. They wanted to see the engine, so I popped the hood of my 225 MPH, $200k 1990 TR to oblige. It probably made their night, so no harm done...

21. mwarrior

mwarrior Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2004
    Ontario and Texas
    Full Name:
    Gagan P
    Dont blame ya ;) Whereabouts in Toronto do ya live anyway? I'm from Oakville.

Gagan

22. flashman

flashman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 5, 2004
    Star Valley, Arizona
    Full Name:
    William Rappaport
    No, never ever in 23 years!! I have seen what happens to exotics that are left in various "safe areas". Doesn't matter what town your in.

23. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    I shoudl elaborate a little. I drive my car a lot but it's a special car and I really enjoy driving it. As a result, I take it for drives not errands. So I go out for nice drives and end up back at my garage. On the rare occasion that I do stop, I don't let it out of my sight and I don't stay for long.

24. azheman

azheman Karting

Feb 3, 2004
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Well the place I valet it at, usually only place I take it, cuz lots and lots of teenage ass :), I am friends with the valet guy, I trust him. And I usually park my car, he just holds the keys..Sometimes I even hold the keys and I just give him 6 bucks. lol

25. l'esecuzioneItaliana

Jan 29, 2004
    One time I had my friend spy on the valet guy and he was hot-rodding my car through a parking lot no where near the valet area. My friend came and told me and I saw the guy and he waved and parked the car. He was like ohh this and that. So, I got the owner of the restaurant out there and he was 'How can I help you', and I said you see that guy, and he said yes sir, and I punched the valet parker in the face. I said 'He was hot-rodding my car in the lot.' All of the co-workers started laughing and the owner fired him on the spot, bloody and all, and I went inside and ate dinner.