348ts on ebay | FerrariChat

348ts on ebay

Discussion in '348/355' started by Dave In Jersey, Mar 20, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dave In Jersey

Mar 19, 2004
    South New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Dave Framkel
    Hello all, I'm new here and in need of some help. I've owned a 1988 Porsche 911 cab for the last 5 years, and decided a few days ago it was time to put her up for sale, and take the F car plunge! I bid on & won a 1991 black 348ts on ebay. The sellers are BMG Motors in Stanton, CA. I've spoken to Lance at BMG at great length, and their feedback is good. I had him fax me a copy of his surety bond with the state of CA. I'm not sure how else I can check them out. My questions are: I believe I got a great price on this vehicle at $39,888(car has 44k miles) link:http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&category=6212&item=2467488207&sspagename=STRK%3AMEBWN%3AIT so I'm naturally looking to you, the experience Ferrari folks to offer up some advice on the deal, and BMG Motors- has anyone has ever dealt with them before. Is anyone near Stanton where they could recommend a good inspection person? No $$ has changed hands and will not until Tuesday of next week. Thank you in advance!!

2. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Get the service records scanned and sent to you. If the car really has an "up-to-date" 30K performed by somebody reputable, then indeed, you might have a nice deal on your hands!

The exterior condition looks good -- but they always look good in digital pictures on eBay. With the right lighting, anything shines!

I believe the pricing on that car is directly related to the interior and miles. What's the alcantra-like material? Why is it there? Was that ever a factory option? Heck, it probably wears like iron and makes more sense than the easily scuffed hides in everybody else's car. I'm a 348 owner too (black/tan), and don't profess to be anything other than a complete newbie -- so I just don't know.

Others folks want to chime in?

-Daniel

3. Dave In Jersey

Mar 19, 2004
    South New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Dave Framkel
    Thanks for the reply. I was told the car has two customizations: the seats, which were done in a suede like fiber with leather only on the bolsters(which I too thought might be nice, as my Porsche has a lot of seat were/cracking), and the rear tail lights were "blacked out", i.e. you don't see the red and yellow when they are not lit up. I thought that was pretty cool as well.

4. kenster888

kenster888 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Massachusetts
    The wheels are on incorrectly. And that is one strange interior.

If all checks out you'll enjoy this car. Congratulations.

5. JSL

JSL Formula 3

Jan 5, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    J.S. Leonard
    Hard to tell. I own a 92 348 and it is a pretty fun car. You will need to get used to the cold shifting but once you get over it, it isn't a problem. At this price you probably got a pretty good deal. If it were correct in all ways, it would probably be worth more like 47-48K. You have room to spend a few $'s if necessary. Just be ready to make a little more of an "investment". These are not anything like your Porsche. Good luck, you are probably ok. If the service was done, good buy. Enjoy

6. JSL

JSL Formula 3

Jan 5, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    J.S. Leonard
    What is your risk tolerance? Speculation on R.E. is very risky if you don't know who you are in business with. 30K seems like a lot of money but it really isn't enough to go into real estate without being highly leveraged. If you want to invest in real estate, buy a starter home that you will live in. Probably the best investment you will ever make and you will get to live there. Otherwise, find a good mutual fund, put the money in and leave it alone for the next 10 years. You won't need to worry daily or manage the investment too closely. I am selling my investment real estate right now since the appreciation has been so great. Don't invest in a small business where you are a silent partner. You have no control and the money will disappear. BTW, I'm a 3rd degree black belt. Martial arts studios have very few real assetts other than the teacher. He goes, the business goes. Be careful.

7. JSL

JSL Formula 3

Jan 5, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    J.S. Leonard
    Sorry, this was posted to the wrong thread! Please disregard.

8. nzo4re

nzo4re Karting

Mar 13, 2003
    San Jose, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom Lassen
    Never, never, never buy a car sight unseen. I had a 91 348 and ECUs, clutches vplus the alternator are issues in that year. Also, it's an obvious repaint and the add says it just had a 10k service? Yikes!

Good luck bro...

9. Jerrari

Jerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 24, 2001
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jerry Wiersma
    Very sharp car, love the black! I am not crazy about the seats, but that is a minor issue, especially if you like them. Congrats!

10. Exoticbro

Exoticbro Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    St.Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Chuck Ligon
    Hello Dave,

I do have some info. on this car.
    please feel free to call me at 636-273-6774
    or e-mail me at [email protected]

Chuck

11. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas

This is ONE of the many reasons why I love this community.
    Good luck, Dave. FWIW, go see the car in person and do a PPI....regardless of the dealer's reputation.

12. Dave In Jersey

Mar 19, 2004
    South New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Dave Framkel
    Thanks for the time you spent on the phone with me earlier today-I was invaluable info. I'll let you know what I find out on Monday. Here's the link to the Porshe in case you copied it down wrong: http://www.geocities.com/mouseyjoe/porsche.html

13. Murph4Enzo

Murph4Enzo Karting

Nov 15, 2003
    Philadelphia PA
    Full Name:
    Christopher Murphy
    Dave,

What are you asking for the 911 Cab? I'm quite interested and have been involved w/P-Cars for many years, and currently have 4, but no cabs. please e-mail me privately, located in Philly.

Regards,
    Chris Murphy

14. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
    Looks like somebody got a great deal assuming the PPI checks out. I like the Alcanatra suede look, very "race-car" looking.

15. davey_jones

davey_jones Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2002
    wherever it's sunny
    Full Name:
    Dave
    PPI PPI PPI PPI PPI PPI

Did I say get a PPI?

It's not personal, just good business!

dave
    indy

16. Tennlee

Tennlee Formula Junior

Feb 10, 2002
    Great Smoky Mountains
    Auctions over. Did you buy it?

17. sranderson

sranderson Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2003
    Full Name:
    SRA
  18. Jerrari

Jerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 24, 2001
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jerry Wiersma
    SRA, very nice 348, I love that color. Good luck!

P.S. Please fill out your profile for everyone.

19. Exoticbro

Exoticbro Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    St.Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Chuck Ligon
    Hello Dave,

Glad to be able to help, give me a call on Monday.
    I did see the pix of the 911 and it looks nice.

Chuck

20. Dave In Jersey

Mar 19, 2004
    South New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Dave Framkel
    Well...I'm not getting the car. Turns out the $500 differential problem they were getting fixed is really a cam belt issue($4800). In defence of BMG Motors, Lance called me himself to tell me. He feels ripped off by the dealer he bought it from, and I do believe he has been upfront with me the whole time. I've sold the Porshe too. Now I'm left looking for a 348ts in black that's somewhat nearby NJ, I don't think I can handle threalities of buying a car that's 300 miles away. Thanks to everyone for their help, keep me in mind if you see my car out there at a reasonable price.

21. SAF1

SAF1 Karting

Jun 26, 2003
    OC CA & Bangkok
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I like your car. Great car. I am interested. Please PM me as to how much will you take. Thanks.

22. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent

Dave,

My 348ts is for sale. It's on ebay right now, 92 348TS black on black. pm me or send me an email at [email protected], I can send you some more particulars, including the service history. I have no idea how the auction is going to go, but you might want to take a look at it in case someone backs out. It's nowhere close to Jersey though.

Vincent.

23. Dave In Jersey

Mar 19, 2004
    South New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Dave Framkel
  24. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
  25. CarreraScott

CarreraScott Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2004
    Charlottesville, VA
    Vincent
    Which early 70s car are you looking to get?
    scott