Stradale - LC/Race makes it to US model - pics. | FerrariChat

Stradale - LC/Race makes it to US model - pics.

Discussion in '360/430' started by dan360, Nov 18, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dan360

dan360 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2003
    Boston
    #1 dan360, Nov 18, 2003
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Just popped into FoNE and they have a brand new US Stradale awaiting delivery. I had to go and see to see whether any changes were made to the US model. The basic answer (apart from the lexan windows) is no.

US car has:
    Launch Control and Race mode (see picture).
    Lexan rear deck.
    Stradale Special Exhaust.

All of these were some concern whether they'd make it (to me at least).

Here's a picture of the LC buttons... (also check out the key which is the same as the Enzo key!)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. dan360

dan360 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2003
    Boston
    #2 dan360, Nov 18, 2003
  3. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    Great pics. The nose looks more aggressive than in any other pics I've seen. I can't wait to hear about the driving experience when yours comes in!

4. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I was with Giann Maria in Italy a a few weeks ago when he took delivery of his European CS. He wanted the Lexan side windows and was told Ferrari decided not to offer them on any CS.

5. stokpro

stokpro F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jun 25, 2003
    Himalayas
    Dan,

It's hard to tell from the picture, but is that CS done in Rosso Scuderia or Rosso Corsa? Also, isn't the Stradale special exhaust similar to that of the Enzo? Thanks for posting!

6. dan360

dan360 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2003
    Boston
    Its Rosso Scuderia - the picture is not a bad translation of the colour. Its less dark and slightly *orangey* in character. Its still clearly red, but is quite different from the standard Rosso Corsa.

I didn't take a picture of the exhaust, but its a very different shape to both the regular and tubi 360 exhausts - I hadn't heard about any relationship to the Enzo exhaust. I do know that the enzo is quite quiet at idle, something I believe the CS is not. I've yet to hear it unfortunately - not appropriate to just fire up someone else's brand new car for 10 seconds just to listen to the noise :)

7. F1racer

F1racer F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2003
    Laval
    Full Name:
    Jean
    Thanks for those pics!!

I love the color Rosso Scuderia on the 360 CS!!
    And I'm happy to hear the US version is the same! Just Imagine the US version not getting the Stradale Special Exhaust. :(

8. dan360

dan360 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2003
    Boston
    #8 dan360, Nov 18, 2003
  9. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    The Stradale is much more aggresive looking than the standard 360. I like it!

10. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    I agree with ZJPJ I think the nose looks very agressive. Maybe it is the color or just the picture but it seems more edgy. I love it. What does the lexan rear deck look like?
    Erik

11. bumboola

bumboola Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2003
    Out in the daylight there is a MAJOR difference between Rosso Corsa and Rosso Scuderia. They are less different under indoor lighting. The Rosso Scuderia looks wild on the road, much racier.

The exhaust is very loud, but not "ear-splittingly" loud as some of the early British mags stated. I suspect that the exhaust was modified somewhat from the initial specs.

Even so, when the bypass opens everybody within a square mile will know it. :)

12. stokpro

stokpro F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jun 25, 2003
    Himalayas
    I was told by a friend with a Stradale on order (April delivery) that the Stradale special exhaust system is loud, and definitely louder than the normal Tubi, but NOT louder than the special, extra loud Tubi setup for the 360. Can anyone confirm this?

13. dan360

dan360 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2003
    Boston
    #13 dan360, Nov 18, 2003
    The Rear Deck has the following differences from the standard 360.

Lexan screen, with carbon fibre side vents + carbon fibre bracing.
    A new Spolier shape.
    The Ferrari Logo is about 3 or 4 inches further from the rear of the car.

Don't have a photo, but here's one from the owners website. I can confirm that the US cars have the same look as this.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. taunus

taunus Formula Junior

Jan 24, 2002
    Germany, Osnabrueck
    Full Name:
    Ansgar
    Is that official ? No Lexan windows for the CS ?

15. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Thanks Dan that is awesome the carbon trim. Are you getting the strips on your car?
    Erik

16. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    So the US Stradale will sound like the best sounding car in the world ? the european Stradale ? :D

17. 720

720 F1 Rookie

Jul 14, 2003
    So. Cal and No. Utah
    Full Name:
    Rick
    i exchanged some email a few days ago with gian maria. he mentioned that his stradale has electric windows BUT ferrari is going to send him the lexan window kit for free next month. he explained that the lexan windows were not available when he took delivery. but apparently they will soon be available. i know this is a bit "fuzzy" but it seems that lexan windows may still be an option for euro spec cars.

the following was posted on fchat a few days ago. it lists lexan windows but does not show a price. but it doesn't show a price for the 4 point safety harness either.

options for the Stradale - a website in Scandanavia has (in EUR prices):

4 point safety harnesses -
    Sliding lexan windows -
    Road legal aluminium roll-bar 2,100
    Out-of-range paint colour 2,130
    Paint colour upon sample 4,250
    Three coloured racing strip 4,650
    Brake calipers in red colour 600
    Brake calipers in yellow colour 700
    Brake calipers in aluminium grey colour 700
    Colour upon request for upper dashboard 505
    Colour upon request for steering wheel 240
    Leather upholstery for the headliner 280
    Leather upholstery for rear bench wall & underdoor mouldings 1,425
    Colour upon request for standard stitching 185
    Special stitching coloured upon request 260
    Dedication plate in silve 270
    Space saver wheel kit 1,200
    Radio navigation system 1,850
    CD radio with loudspeakers 1,650
    Modena leather small suitcasres set (2pz) 1,590
    Interior leather small suitcases set (2pz) 1,590
    Challenge luggage set (3pz) 2,950
    Modena leather luggage set (3pz) 2,950
    Interior leather luggage set (3pz) 2,950
    Pre-wiring and kit for battery charging 700
    6 CD changer 790
    Handy fire extinguisher 420

18. giamma

giamma Rookie

Nov 4, 2003
    Actually the first kits of lexan are getting out soon. So people who had lexan windows in their contract and they got electric windows they can now get the kit. The first kit was not good, the lexan would not slide easily and it would scretch the lexan everytime you slide it, plus it had a structural problem and the aluminium frame would breack easely. This was told by one of ferrari technical superviser. He even told me , almost two months ago, that they were not sure of a final version of the Kit, but about a week ago my dealer called and told me that in a month the kit is going to be ready!! I know that the lexan window is very very unpractical but the look of it adds a lot to the racing style of the car.

19. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    yes i love 360 cs and know i'll get flammed for this also but isnt it really just a slightly tunerized 360 with a body kit, exhaust, chip, and some weight taken out that they charge about $35k extra for? i thought only porsche could charge crazy premium for this type of thing.

20. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    The early Euro Stradale prototype I heard in the US was FOCKING LOUD!

It was louder than a 1967 Top Fuel open header blown dragster.

It is louder than a mufflerless 360GT.

IT IS UNGODLY LOUD. It is louder than any road car ever produced by a wide margin, and louder than many race cars.

Earplug loud. Maybe even lawsuit loud...

The exhaust bypass is completely open when activated.

Perhaps that has been changed.

Idle is like a normal 360 with Tubi however. (due to the dual-nature of the system.)

21. 720

720 F1 Rookie

Jul 14, 2003
    So. Cal and No. Utah
    Full Name:
    Rick
    all these cheap "gimmicks" get the stradale around fiorano 3.5 seconds faster than a regular 360 modena, right? you forgot to include ceramic carbon brakes in your list of overpriced tweaks.

btw, my yellow stradale is being built as we speak :)

22. 720

720 F1 Rookie

Jul 14, 2003
    So. Cal and No. Utah
    Full Name:
    Rick
    i've read these (or similar) comments from you before on the sound of a stradle. i hope people aren't scared away from buying a stradale because it's too loud. IMO it's not too loud. i've heard it myself. yes, it's definitely loud, but in an exciting way...not a negative way. but i have to say that it seems 99 out of 100 people who post or write a review on the stradale describe the stradale's exhaust sound in a very positive way. nobody tries to claim it is not loud, but it seems that most people think it is a "good" loud :)

anyway, here's some recent comments from different people who either already own or have driven a stradale:

Anyway the car is fantastic. It does not feel that much faster
    Then. the Modena but it is twice as fun to drive than the
    Modena. The SOUND, the braking , the grip, the faster shifts, the smell, everything makes you think you are in the middle of Daytona 24HR. The car as a little extra push at 6300RPM where it gets the extra 25 HP, but the sound in that RPM range is so loud that it feels like there are 100 hp extra... When Dario Benuzzi was trying the car the most impressive feeling was the bracking, and handling in general.

The 360CS drive was excellent. Fast and nimble (I immediately set it to race mode so have no idea how it behaves with normal mode!) and the sound...perfection! The brakes have to be experienced, they stop like a motorbike (only the back wheel isn't in the air when doing so) and are beautifully progressive! The steering is direct, almost nervous, and has plenty of feedback. I couldn't explore the real boundaries of this car as a) it was someone elses and b) I was on public roads.

Visited my Ferrari dealer on Saturday and was handed the keys to a new black 360 CS. This car had a teflon type paint hardening treatment that brought up the colour fantastically.

Off to lunch: Key in, push the start button (too cool), pull the trigger and we're off! This cars rips through the revs like a motorbike and bounces off the rev limiter in what seem like milliseconds! The trouble is, once you reach 5000 rpm the 'real' music chimes in...and oh, what a sound. You find yourself keeping the pedal pinned just to hear the noise when ...blink...rev limiter...time to grab the right lever and hope that the police are deaf and blind!!

Sadly, had to stop to eat. Then off we went again, this time through a 1km tunnel. As we approach, I slow to 40kmh (in an 80) in the outside lane. Queue building behind, lane clearing ahead and then...floor it! Holy sh*t, it wails like a banshee, Ferrari music bouncing off the walls of the tunnel, brake lights on every car in the right hand lane not knowing what the hell that shreik is!! You guessed it, rev limiter again, grab another gear out into the open air less than 150 meters from the exit, stand on the brakes (at a seriously illegal speed), pull on the left lever (the downshift is soooo special) and we're almost stopped: 75 meters *before* the entrance! Whatever has been written about these brakes cannot convey their stopping power, especially when you apply the same pressure that you would normally give to haul a 550 down from these speeds.

23. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    720- Don't get me wrong, I want one bad!

But I was absolutely astonished that Ferrari had managed to sneak on a totally open exhaust. That's like something I'd do after the fact.

From outside the car at least, at over 100 feet away, the exhaust was loud enough to make me wince and cover my ears. And I do not easially wince... It started several children crying...

I also am wondering if Ferrari has changed the exhaust at all for the 'production' or 'US' cars. I too have heard people report it's loud, but not a 'bad' loud.

It also may be quieter inside the car, I have only seen one rev'd on static display.

Best!
    Ben.

24. 720

720 F1 Rookie

Jul 14, 2003
    So. Cal and No. Utah
    Full Name:
    Rick
    hi ben,

i am fairly certain that the US and euro version of the exhaust are identical. constatino at fxperformance in los angeles has the stradale parts book. he looked up the exhaust system and found that there were no different parts listed for US vs. Euro cars. based on this he concluded that there is no difference. he explained that typically when there is a difference in components between a US and euro car this difference can be seen in the parts list.

i heard a euro stradale at beverly hills ferrari several months ago. they started the car and rapped the throttle a few times to show how it sounded. it was loud, but nothing too drastic like you have described. maybe you heard an early model with a prototype exhaust that has since been changed a bit?

i also heard a stradale when i was at the 360 challenge finals in mugello last month. the stradale was the safety car, and there were about 20-30 360 challenge cars lined up ahead of it. when the race started you hear the roar of 20+ challenge cars. then as the safety car nails it to catch up with the others you could clearly hear the shriek of the stradale over all the other cars :) but it was a good shriek :) it was really cool.

25. Tim

Tim Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    I will be able to tell you all you want in about a day and a half.

no way it can be louder than my F40. my F40 has no cats and straight pipes. but I will let you know.

if anyone is considering lexan side windows, you will be very sorry you got them. hard to see out of, look stupid, very little ventilation, no security for a street car. just plain stupid. I took them out of my "real" 360 challenge car. now I can see, I get fresh air, I can climb out the window if need be when I put it in the trailer, I can reach in and steer the car when it is being pushed around in the garage, etc.