Change Brake Fluid AT LEAST once a year? | FerrariChat

Change Brake Fluid AT LEAST once a year?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by RAYMAN, Mar 20, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RAYMAN

RAYMAN Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 10, 2004
    Oklahoma
    Full Name:
    Raymond Santilli
    That's what the manual says for a 348. This can't be right can it? I don't have any intention of doing this, what do you do?

Also when cold my oil dip stick is bone dry. Normal?

Ray

2. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Yes, change your brake fluid once every 1-2 years.

3. AEHaas

AEHaas Formula 3

May 9, 2003
    Osprey, Florida
    Full Name:
    Ali E. Haas
    I use a syringe and empty the reservoir every January in all my cars then fill it back up. It takes about 10 minutes per car and is about an 80 percent change of fluids each year. When you do your brake pads you should bleed the system and complete the job.

aehaas

4. RAYMAN

RAYMAN Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 10, 2004
    Oklahoma
    Full Name:
    Raymond Santilli
    Well OK then, I guess I will

5. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    i use a quality gravy baster with a tie wrap around the rubber part to provide a better seal. i keep it in a platic bag to prevent adding any junk to the brake fluid. i change mine in my regular cars once a year, more in the muscle cars if i flog them hard. even a street driven ferrari , with all the $$$$ at stake i would respectfully suggest the manufactures maintenance guidelines be followed. just my .02

6. billb

billb Formula Junior
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Jun 4, 2001
    Shorewood, IL
    Full Name:
    Bill Badurski
    This recommendation is sound, and a good practice. Many manufacturers now recommend changing at least every two years, such as VW, Mercedes, etc. Brake fluid absorbs moisture, causing two problems. First, lowering the boiling point of the fluid, thereby increasing likelihood of brake fade during hard use. Second, corrosion of expensive brake parts such as caliper bores and pistons, and brake lines in general.

7. zan

zan Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2002
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Mark M
    After you replace the reservoir fluid you should bleed the calipers. I find the dirtiest fluid is in them.

8. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    A garage queen probably should get yearly changes if you're hoping to keep it really road worthy over a decade or more of disuse (and even then it's probably iffy if it can stay truly healthy) -- I wonder if that 870 mile BB had ~20 changes ;)

If you're driving the car a reasonable amount (say more than a few thousand miles per year) and in a reasonable manner, every 2 years would still be very pure living.

JMOs.

9. FL 355

FL 355 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2002
    Ft Laud
    Full Name:
    Frank Lipinski
    Especially if you have a F-Car built in the 90's. You can damage ABS and calipers which are not rebuildable. There's a tech article on that in the current Prancing Horse or Redline...don't remember which right now.

10. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    You should check the oil when the engine has come to oeprating temp. It won't register or barely register ewhen it is cold. If it's not registering when hot....then you need more oil. :)

Vincent.

11. RAYMAN

RAYMAN Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 10, 2004
    Oklahoma
    Full Name:
    Raymond Santilli
    Thanks allot for all the advice!

ray

12. Dale

Dale F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2003
    uk
    Full Name:
    Dale Juan
    Hi guy's,brake fluid,suck out old fluid then remove if poss resiviors,wash out
    DRY and re-fit,check all bleed nipples are free,if its stood for a while remove pads check pistons are free to move and no leaks,clean all pad edge's and the same in the calipers,copper slip pads re fit,fill with fluid we use liquid levers pressure machine think they are about £500,pressurise system then bleed the system,it wont hurt to do the change once a year its an easy service item,

cheers
    Dale.