help set a newbie straight | FerrariChat

help set a newbie straight

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Packinair, Mar 20, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Packinair

Packinair Rookie

Mar 20, 2004
    First of all let me start by saying HELLO!!! and that everyone here is my hero.. Here is my dilemma.. I am THINKING about selling my offshore cat (boat) and my vette for a Ferrari. (thanks to that damn guy in the 360 that whooped my ass). I really like the cars because it is not like my vette where 3x a day the exact car pulls up next to me. However.. the extent of my experience with Ferrari's is a few summers ago I had a friends 86 mondial convet for the summer. I drove it almost everyday and WHAT A POS!!! the top was a pain, until really warmed up it would spit and sputter, then when warm it would not restart, it sux really bad to stop for gas in that and sit there and crank and crank and crank... am I barking up the wrong tree to think I can use a Ferrari as an every day driver or would I be better off to put that dream of owning one on hold and buy a newer C5 vette? I won't have a ton of cash (maybe 30-35k) so I am wondering what the experts think.. I WILL someday own a really nice one but at 29 I must be semi realistic.. also anyone in the toledo/detriot area that wants to take me for a ride in their Ferrari I would be more than happy to let you =)

2. Admiral Thrawn

Admiral Thrawn F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2003
    You could always get a 355 if a 360 is too much of a stretch.

3. Packinair

Packinair Rookie

Mar 20, 2004
    I am looking at a mear 30-35k... I think I would be lucky to get a nice remote contoled 355 for that kind of $$

4. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

You should be able to find a good 328 or great 308 for that price. It's certainly not a 355 or 360 (duh!), but its in your price range and supposedly quite reliable -- even as daily driver for many folks.

-Daniel

5. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Hi,

At $35k you could get a very nice 308QV with records and recent major service. Use the SEARCH function at the top right as there is a HUGE amount of good info on them. ANY car can be a POS if not taken care of properly so look for a car with good records and have a Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI) done by a qualified Ferrari mechanic.

Enjoy the Walk (58 days and counting),

Steven R. Rochlin

6. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    If you want to beat a 360 on $35k best bet is to buy a nice used Z06 Vette bcus a 360 is going to cost near $100k for a crappy one

7. RAYMAN

RAYMAN Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 10, 2004
    Oklahoma
    Full Name:
    Raymond Santilli
    Frankly, I can't see anybody choosing a Chevy over a Ferrair! It's not all about the "fastest".

To set you straight, there's Ferrari, and then everything else!

8. venusone

venusone F1 Rookie

Mar 20, 2004
    If you are into muscle cars: my sister's husband just bought a 2001 Viper for 45G. 500hp is good.

9. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Remember, that if you buy a Ferrari as a daily driver, your insurance will probably be much higher than if you get a "hobbyist" policy that is designed for occasional use only.

10. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    Don't forget about the Subaru WRX STI. :D

11. Jerrari

Jerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 24, 2001
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jerry Wiersma
  12. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    Sorry about that & welcome to Ferrari Chat.

For tht range you can easly find an old carbed 308 or go with a QV. Spend a bit more for a 348, a very fine track car & blast to drive.