Maserati Coupe questions... | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Maserati Coupe questions...

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by bostonmini, Mar 8, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I dunno, probably only 5-15hp, which at 390hp won't change anything performance-wise. But I think the exhaust might be the most important part of the sound system ;-). You can hear samples on the 3200 coupe at Manu's site, www.tubistyle.co.uk (or www.scuderiasystems.co.uk I'm not certain).

Just saying I thought the ones they had at the event sounded BAD. The good kind of bad. Either way, happy motoring!

2. lung7707

lung7707 F1 World Champ

Jan 13, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Rupert 9.0
    did someone say Cup holders? Where in the car?

3. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    Getting the Tubi was a much simpler decision than I originally thought it would be, At first I planned on driving the car a little bit before deciding. Then went to dealership to hear one on a car they had there, and after hearing it the decision was very easy. It really finishes the package. Sounded better than many Ferrari's I have heard and that was with car just sitting in the service bay, Cannot wait to hear at full RPM. Hopefully in about a week I will be able to.

4. ebrigham

ebrigham Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    NYC
    I will be picking up the car in the next few hours - I will take some pics of the car - including the cupholder! Also will report any initial driving impressions in comparison to the 2002. If they have any Maser/Tubi set ups on the lot (doubtful), I will give it a looksee...

5. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    we need an mp3 of that sound with the tubi, the maser sounds stock, like an M3, but what an M3 SHOULD be..not in a bad way...the m3 (us anyway) on its own sounds awful.

6. ebrigham

ebrigham Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    NYC
    Here is a pic of the cupholder. Gave it a test run and worked pretty well, nice and snug. Lung, think you need to get another Maser! Notice the parking break - more beefy and longer for better leverage - easier to crank.

7. ebrigham

ebrigham Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    NYC
    Here is a pic of the dashboard. If you look around the vent, you can tell where the center dashboard area is indented/lower, possibly by using less padding. My 2002 did not have this. I have a picture of the instrument binnacle, but I took it too low - like a munchkin was driving, so it doesn't offer much. Even this picture seems a lower than I usually sit. The instrument binnacle is slightly smaller. Overall, forward visibility is subtly improved - more of the bonnet is visible from the driver seat.

8. ebrigham

ebrigham Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    NYC
    Here is another picture of the front of the car. For some reason, my camera makes the color look almost lavender. In real life, it is much closer to the pictures above - silver gray.

Other differences between the 2004 and 2002 include less power assisted steering. It requires a touch more effort to steer the car, but the result is improved road feel. # turns lock to lock might also be reduced, but difficult to tell. Anyway, I like it.

Also, more sound dampening in the car - it is noticeably more quiet when driving compared to my older model. You can still very easily hear the engine though, so it is not like driving a Lexus or a Benz. Just a modest reduction in road noise. In addition, the material they put behind the tires is more sound absorbing, so tire noise is less harsh (less sound reflection from the wheel well). I like this too...

Another improvement is the hill hold feature. If you are stopped on an incline (let's say at a traffic light), upon releasing the brake the car will be held immobolized for a few moments. This gives you more time to get to the gas pedal before rolling backwards. Good for those times when you are stopped at light on an incline. The clutch action takes a little getting used, this is another improvement.

All in all, the car is subtly refined and improved versus previous year's.

9. ebrigham

ebrigham Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    NYC
    Oh yeah, another change from the 2002 is that the aerial antenna for the radio is embedded into the front windshield. You can now keep the rear profile umblemished - no need for the rear antenna nub. Radio reception seems improved, but we didn't really drive the far..

10. BJS

BJS Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2004
    Central FL and SW MI
    Full Name:
    Brad Stephenson
    Sounds like you're pretty happy with the exchange.

I like the chrome grill - I wonder if that's a new feature on all late-production 04's?

Oh...I'm jealous of the cupholder. :)

11. LA Swede

LA Swede Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2003
    SoCal
    I've always liked the front of the coupe/3200, and the new grille makes it even more beautiful. Very nice!

Glad that you got a new car and that you are satisfied. I wouldn't be so kind to Maserati regarding 2002 being the first model year as the car was available in Europe for a few years before introduction in the U.S., or at least the exterior was virtually the same with the exception of the taillights.

Speaking of which, did they do anything to the taillights on the 2004? If not, is anyone aware of any cosmetic upgrades or aftermarket mods for the taillights? The taillights are the only part I don't like on that car, looks too much Toyota/Honda to me.

12. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    Why would you bother to downshift? If you gotta stop in a hurry, concentrate on braking for heavens sake, downshifting is just a distraction and doesn't help a bit.

Gary

13. lung7707

lung7707 F1 World Champ

Jan 13, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Rupert 9.0
    Gary,
    Engine breaking helps keeps the car under control if I need to swerve out of the way. Try taking avoiding action in 6th gear and see how much control u've got. . Sure, slamming the breaks will allow the abs to kick in, but i afraid I will lose control.

Eric,
    Excellent choice in color. Love the cup holder. I wonder if i can have the cigarette lighter area replaced with an attachement. Probably wont upgrade to the 04. Will probably do a 360 next year. Will try to stick to one car change this year - well see how long that thought will last. Just installed a tubi last week...so gotta enjoy it before I sell the car. Best of luck on your new car.

14. Tom C

Tom C Karting

Feb 29, 2004
    MD
    Full Name:
    Tom
    ebrigham:

Your new ride looks incredible...excellent choice on the colors!!! I am contemplating a move from my current car (2002 M5) to a Maserati. That is the exact car I want. Is that Miller in Greenwich?

Did you get any information on the timing and price for the GranSport?

Good luck with your beautiful new Maserati!!!

Tom

15. ebrigham

ebrigham Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    NYC
    In my very brief experience, I am pretty happy with the car - hopefully I will have better experience with this one. Yet another difference I just remembered: The trunk is easier to close. On my 2002, you had to lower the rear lid, then press down quite firmly to close the trunk - otherwise it would fail to latch. Now it is a one step operation - just shut it closed. Imagine that!

BJS: All the 2004s I have seen have the chrome grill. I don't know if that means it comes standard, or just that all the 2004s on the lot were optioned with this feature.

LA Swede: No changes to the rear headlights for 2004. Considering the all new coupe/spyder will probably be here within 2 years, my guess is they will remain for the existing life of the model. I am not aware of any after-market providers that do the boomerangs. Given enough money, however, anything is possible.

Tom C: Yes, that is Miller. You can check their website, but I don't think they have any more in this color. Sorry! Didn't get any real details on the Gransport. Available, sometime summer or fall, pricing expected to be a bit more than a similarly-optioned coupe - but the sales guy didn't have any details. I am not sure how many they plan on producing.

16. ninyo

ninyo Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Your Maserati is very nice, did you ever have the old ones with the boomerang rear lights in the us or was that Euro only? Those lights were better looking than the new ones, imo

17. LA Swede

LA Swede Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2003
    SoCal
    the boomerang taillights were Euro only. I wasn't a huge fan of those and I am not a fan of the new taillights either. Only part of the car I don't like the look of.

18. ebrigham

ebrigham Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    NYC
    ninyo: LA Swede is right, boomerangs were on the 3200 GT, which was not sold in the US. I also liked the boomerangs a bit more, but still happy with the overall look of the US model.

19. bear575

bear575 Rookie

Nov 10, 2003
    all this talk of the standard chrome grille on the '04 Maserati, it is an option for a few hundred dollars

20. 04cambio

04cambio Rookie

Feb 26, 2004
    Richmond, VA
    Full Name:
    Tony
    I have an 04 coupe that was produced in July 2003. It has the darker grille. I am not aware that the chrome grille was available as an option on it, though. Don't know if it became an option or standard on later production vehicles of that year.

21. david_101

david_101 Rookie

May 17, 2004
    my new maserati friends,

i'm considering a coupe in steamy S FL.

please relate your HVAC experiences, as the cooling aspect in particular would be critically important in decision-making.

thank you,
    david

22. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    I have a Spyder and went with the Nero interior after debating for awhile if it would get to hot in the sun. A/C is very powerfull and does a nice job with top down keeping me cool. With the top up and A/C on Max I think you could store a side of beef in the car.

23. ebrigham

ebrigham Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    NYC
    David - I'm glad you found this place. Most of my driving is during the summer, and the car is usually parked outside while visiting family or vacationing. As someone that grew up in S FL, I know the NE is really no comparison in terms of heat - BUT the car does sit outside in 90+ degree weather with some regularity. The HVAC has never let me down - just don't use the "econo" setting. Cabin is not that large and the many vents put out a good stream of cold air, so cool off is pretty quick. I give it a thumbs up.

24. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    '02 coupe a/c strong and reliable here in DC.

25. GOB

GOB Karting

Dec 22, 2003
    Panama
    Full Name:
    Gus
    Just test drove a 03 Coupe on Saturday and it was 95°+F and humidity near the same. Car was parked outside for a few hours before we got into it. In a matter of 5 minutes, the cabin was nice and cold. Found it odd that it did not have an automatic control setting like most cars do nowadays, but in any case, the AC worked perfectly.