355 Engine Out Service - Full Pics! | FerrariChat

355 Engine Out Service - Full Pics!

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by richard_wallace, Mar 19, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. richard_wallace

richard_wallace Formula 3

Feb 6, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Richard Wallace
    #1 richard_wallace, Mar 19, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I just got back my 1995 F355 Spider today from her major service plus all the things that she needed - about 4 pages worth of stuff: Engine Major Service, Belts, Hoses, Plugs and Wires, Clutch, AC, Shocks (leaking), Fluids, etc, etc:

Some of these pics you will not believe!

Here is the sequence you will see these things in.

1.) Engine - All kinds of shots - In the car before the service, Taking it out of the car, Preping for Cleaning, etc.

Interesting Stuff comes now:!!!!!!!!

2.) The car was serviced for it's 15K service (around 12K Miles - 3 years ago by a large dealer in Chicago - which will remain nameless) Notice the Vaccum Hose that is logged/pinched in the subframe - this didn't really help in performance... But you think that is careless - wait until the next item!

3.) Here is where it get's Even More Wacky - Notice the Screwdriver in this shot - that was found in the Air Hose just beyond the filter... Kind of like getting operated on - and they leave the sissors inside! Another nice handy work from the dealer that serviced it last...

Back to more normal stuff now...

4.) The next item was a broken AC Bracket - Before and After

5.) Clutch was replace - some shots of the old clutch...

6.) Under Shot of the car - before and after..

7.) And the final engine shots - notice the detailing - and the little yellow paint on all vital screws - just like out of the factory - World Class Job.

Though I have no affiliation (just great respect!)- the guys (Jack and Craig) at NJB Automotive in Westerville, Ohio (close to Columbus) - from when they picked up my car in the big Ferrari Trailer - to the finite detail and job they did - I recommend them to anyone in the Ohio/Michigan/Indiana Area! (www.ferrariguys.com) Not to mention the very nice touch in Leaving a nice bottle of Ferrari Red Wine in the car - plus the cleaning supplies!

The Engine looks and runs better than it did when it was new! And it is good to have her home so I can drive Her!.

Hope you all enjoy the pics!

Rich Wallace
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. pino

pino Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    South Central PA
    You should name some NAMES!
    Warn the rest of us!

3. richard_wallace

Feb 6, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Richard Wallace
    I will start by saying - I have not heard any bad things about the Dealer/Service in the past. And I will also add that this could have just been an one off situation...

With that said the last service done on this car was performed by Continential Auto... And though I may buy a new car from them - I will not be taking my car to them for service.

4. ShanB

ShanB Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2003
    Tejas/Europe/Desert
    Full Name:
    shanb
    Great pictures - thanks for sharing!

5. vref

vref Karting

Dec 18, 2003
    1 Hr North of Housto
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Thanks for the excellent pictures! I agree you should share who performed the sub standard previous work.

They really cleaned the engine up great, looks fantastic! Did they reweld the AC bracket?

6. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    Great pics!

BTW you're handling this very well.

Vincent.

7. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Thanks for posting - I have never seen the engine out of the 355 - I enjoyed that.

8. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Very cool. Glad you posted the name of the dealer that did the service. The dealers charge so much money to do the services, that they should be pointed out when they do something stupid like that. Come on, leaving a stupid screw driver in the intake tube, that is very careless. Oooohhh but it was done by an "authorized mechanic". What a load. Then if something was to mess up and you took it back to the same dealer, I bet that they would never tell you that it was their fault and you would get hosed again to fix what they messed up.

Anyway, nice post and thanks for posting the pics.

9. richard_wallace

Feb 6, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Richard Wallace
    Yes - they rewelded the AC Bracket as the solution rather than the $500 for a new one - and the weld would be stronger....

10. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    thanks for posting this, this is a great thread. you are a better man than me as i would have had some things to say to the dealer that did all that shoddy work. THEY LEFT A TOOL IN A AIR INTAKE!!!!!!! geeze i am glad they dont work on aircraft! you car is stunning , its a great thing you did, fixing it all the first time so you may safely enjoy the car for a long time ahead. those other folks did a super job, my hats off to them!!!!

11. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    how much did he service cost????

12. richard_wallace

Feb 6, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Richard Wallace
    The total bill was $8,700 from NJB. The other quote that I got was for 10K from a dealer - and that didn't include the clutch, Shocks, Plug Wires and the AC repair... (Which was found once they were in there). So I figure I saved around 5K - and I am sure the attention to details would have not been done either - like the detailing and engine bay clean up and paint, etc.

I think it was a great price. As a side note they used all new/Ferrari parts - the clutch was new - not rebuilt, plug wires were not aftermarket, etc. For instance - you can get a set of aftermarket plug wires for about 300 for the set. Ferrari's plug wires are $120 - 140 each wire - or around 1K. Jack and Craig mentioned while most aftermarket parts work great - they tend to lean toward Ferrari Parts (for most things) - to keep it original - and insure that no issues happen. (However they do work with aftermarket, such as Tubi, Special Breaks/Roters, etc - things that you want to go more top end for performance).

Jack at NJB started this little IFS shop as an F-Car Owner that was tired of paying double for parts and average service - that he was getting on his F-Cars. Makes it nice to have an F-car guy as the owner of the shop. IMO.

13. Mike Florio

Mike Florio Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2003
    NW Rural Nevada
    Full Name:
    Mike Florio
    Great post and pictures. Thank you for posting, but I'm curious: What is the PC on the cart in photo #6 used for?

14. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    Thanks for posting those pics and details. Very informative!! BTW, thanks for naming the dealer. As you know, there are two authourized dealers in the Chicago aera and the other one would have been assumed guilty unneccessarily without your naming names.

15. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    This is a great post. As a fellow 355 owner, I greatly appreciate the pics. Is the electronic measurer trying to gague the thickness of the clutch plate?

16. richard_wallace

Feb 6, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Richard Wallace
    Yes that is the clucth depth mesurment .8MM A new clutch is around 3mm... I probably could have got a few more miles on this one - but while they were in there - I figured might as well get it taken care of...

17. richard_wallace

Feb 6, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Richard Wallace
    I am not sure - but I am guessing it probably is not used - unless it has diagnostic software... Or maybe just a door stop :)

If Jack and Craig are on - do you guys use the PC in the Cart for anything?

Rich

18. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    wow, just amazing! the wine bottle tops if off!

19. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Proactive instead of reactive. Exactly the way I am. ;)

20. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Wow this is a great thread....I too want to warmly Thank You for posting pics and providing details. The engine bay detailing before and after is like night and day....what an incredible job!! I recently re-serviced my TR after some shoddy work was done on it. Like leaving the cooling fans unplugged, and rigging up an electric vacuum pump instead of replacing the mechanical one. It just made me sick. And it makes you wonder about things you CAN'T SEE that they may have boogered up too. Again...great posting !!

21. richard_wallace

Feb 6, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Richard Wallace
    No better time to get everything done - while everything is out :)

22. richard_wallace

Feb 6, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Richard Wallace
    #22 richard_wallace, Mar 21, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  23. roccapalumbo

roccapalumbo Karting

Mar 16, 2004
    ohio
    Full Name:
    robert
    Looks great Rich and thank you for all the pics. My 360 F1 is at NJB now for a 15k and I am anxious to see the results. Jack and craig are great guys and certainly seem to be as honest as the day is long in the middle of july. Once again thanks for the great pics.

24. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    The cover really blends in well, i had to look twice .Is it rubber , how does it attach? I've never seen these for sale in the UK , do you have a web link,pls?

25. richard_wallace

Feb 6, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Richard Wallace
    Thanks Robert - We expect pics once it is back... And I am ready for the drive once we get some good weather!!!