OT: Who'd buy Brembo stuff? | FerrariChat

OT: Who'd buy Brembo stuff?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by mwarrior, Mar 19, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mwarrior

mwarrior Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2004
    Ontario and Texas
    Full Name:
    Gagan P
    Just wondering how many people would be interested in purchasing if the price was right.Need about 10 people that would be interested within the next month or so to make this happen.

And yes, this post was approved by Rob. If theres enough interest then I can become a sponsor and we can make this happen very soon. I posted this in "Ferrari Discussion" but it seems that theres more conversations about Brembos in here.

Gagan

2. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Like Atlantaman said Brembo is impossible to deal with/get a straight answer. For example I have tried to unravel the mystrey of the 348/355 13" brembo caliper system. So far I have identified a 355C caliper that is not available fitting only with 355C wheels. It was either a direct bolt on or bolt on with adapter plate. I have ID'ed F50 and F40 calipers that fit with oem stock or any challenge wheel. I have ID'ed the granturismo kit that Brembo now sells to fit the 348/55 perhaps fitting the oem wheel and all challenge wheels. They are all different and different people make different claims. Brembo is the source and they will say nothing officially Except the GT kit is what they have to sell. They will not make statements to fitment or performance vs. the real 355C kit. AS a result I have stuck with stock. If I have to reinvent the wheel with Brembo I might as well do what AtlantaMan did whcih is to re-engineer using a more responsive supplier like AP or any of a number of good manufacturers. Anyway at this time under cool track conditions with slicks and huge brake ducts I can threshold brake the OEM calipers without problems. Perhaps as my late brake skill increases the calipers may be a problem and I will have to get serious about an upgrade. But I am always looking for an improvement

3. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    I am interested in putting a set of 355mm on my car. But I can't seem to get any answer from brembo about the setup for my late 328 ABS hub car. Since I am going 18" 360 and later, 512TR wheels, I figured that the setup off of the 512TR might work. (using that A, B, C thing they have)

Anyway, what is the difference between the Brembo F50, Lotus, and GT brakes? Do they even make the first 2 anymore? If I get a set, will I lose the Parking break with the rears? Brembo says no in their cat. but are kinda ambiguous.

I am very interested, but noone answers my questions on the brakes so I wait...

4. mwarrior

mwarrior Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2004
    Ontario and Texas
    Full Name:
    Gagan P
    Stupid "Back" button. Gotta retype it

Billybob: While what Atlantaman is probably true in his experience (from what I read its because of the price quote), there's pr!cks in every company. I'm not sure on the exact price quote situation but they shouldnt be doing that. So far what I've seen though is that Brembo wants to at least keep the dealers happy which means keeping the customers happy. Every question that I've asked so far has been answered by the rep. I think the reason of course could also be so that their dealers dont sell customers something other than Brembo ;) I'll do it though if it means cheaper price for the buyer. StopTech is one example of a company that I've heard has better calipers and in certain cases cheaper prices. Which is the next thing, in your case you mention the 348/355 wheels. StopTech's only kit for the Ferraris right now is for the 348/355 (front, or front and back), and they have racing rotors for the 360 Modena. The selection's not great, but from Feb to March alone I've seen them add about 10 vehicles to the list.
    Anyways, back to the issue. So is your question whether this kit would fit the 348/355 OEM wheels, and the Challenge wheels? Let me know and I'll send an email to both the Brembo and the StopTech reps. I have a link to a fitment diagram for the StopTech kit if you'd like that.

Omar: I remember reading on here that the F50 calipers are the same as one of the upgrades (unfortunately dont remember which one but I can do a search if you want). The setup for the 512TR is available, as for the parking brake question, I can send out an email asking about that if you'd like.

Gagan
    Edit: Stupid late nights... had to fix some grammar/names

5. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    other ideas: Brake Man, and Outlaw.

Other than that, you will not get your 10 item buy-in with Brembo from a Ferrari board alone. You'd be lucky enough to get five, but ten... least likely. You might want to do more talks with them, if you are serious about this. You will not be cornering a market, but you'll need someone up front to want to do a build up of some kind. You need to read up from Rob S.'s posts about the brake kits in the Challenge cars as well. He has the best knowledge about the Challenge cars when it comes to suspension/alignments and brake systems.

But I think the most important question is - is a big challenge brembo kit ideal for those 10 people? or even 5? I would say one or two out of your ten would be able to utilize it on the track. The rest, just bling-bling on the street, and it will not stop any better than their stockers, but they'll feel a difference.

Either direction you go in, a company like Brembo, or one of the smaller companies I mentioned, best of luck.

6. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Please do, I am still waiting for a reply for my emails. My main questions are as follows:

To select braking system, are only the "A, b and C" the important values? I ask this since although my car is a 328, the wheels are all fronts off of a 360 right now, and later will be all fronts off of a 512TR. This is why I think a 512TR brake package will work best for me, since A,B,C values will be the same as the 512TR front. That said, I dont know what I can do about the rears.
    Here is what Brembo says for the front A, B, and Cs: 35 122 200
    Thus I think they will work with 360 rims, since they have a 61 122 200 A,B and C. (B and C are the same, and A needs less for the 512 package then the 360, so it should work...I think)

Since my fronts rims will match my rears, I need something that closly matches the fronts, thus I am looking at the one TR rear package with 8 122 200, A,B, and C values. Would that be better then just getting the 512TR?

Aside from that rear issue, I need to know if the parking brake will work.

See my issue is that I do not know exactly what will fit and work with my car....and I dont want a varient of the 308 package those tiny baby disks..:) 355mm for me! :)

I really want my car to stop better, and though I agree for most the case is simply 'bling,' when upgrading from my stock tiny archaic old school calipers and disks that are 272 mm front 277 mm rear, to modern 355mm with modern 4 pots I feel will do the trick in increasing braking preformance.

7. mwarrior

mwarrior Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2004
    Ontario and Texas
    Full Name:
    Gagan P
    Randy: I didnt mean 10 people right away, although that would be better, but over the course of 6-12 months. I looked into booth companies you mentioned and will be emailing them soon. BrakeMan's page doesnt list Ferraris though... maybe I didnt look hard enough, I'll check again.

Omar: Sending you an email about the kits.

Gagan

8. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    BrakeMan makes custom kits. They've pieced together custom kits for other cars that I've worked with and one has become a production unit. So, just because it isn't listed, doesn't mean that they cannot make it or make it happen. The Outlaw calipers, while they might not look like the best, they definately rock. Not sure if a Ferrari owner would want "outlaw" calipers as opposed to brembo or even wilwoods (which have come up on par in the last few years by a great margin with their forged calipers), but it is worth a try for an outlet.