Monthlery | FerrariChat

Monthlery

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Bryanp, Mar 15, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    Picking up on a thread in GFD featuring a video of an F40 playing at Monthlery - what is the status of this great old track?? I understand that it is in bad shape. amensace indicated in that thread that it is to be closed next year. Is it slated for destruction or restoration? Like the bank at Monza, it would be a shame to lose this great old track.

My father's car ran its maiden race at Monthlery in May 1955 and the big bank at that time had no chicanes AND NO GUARDRAIL at the top edge. Since most of the cars running that track were RHD and the bank was a right turn, you didn't really know where the edge was if you were running high on the bank.

2. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    The track will be closed and probably abandonned. There is an association that was created to save the track..I ll try to find their name and url if they have one :) !

3. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    To the best of my knowlege it is currently being used for private testing by auto makers. I was there two years ago and it was in pretty bad shape. It was still nice to see it; I love old tracks.

4. Scuderia CC

Scuderia CC Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    France
    Full Name:
    Christophe
    For those which want to support the action for the safeguard of the circuit of Montlhéry, you can sign the petition launched by François O' Born.

See here : http://www.motorlegend.com/montlhery/

5. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Petition signed. Thanks

6. Scuderia CC

Nov 1, 2003
    France
    Full Name:
    Christophe
    Thank you with you also, more one will be numerous better that will be !

7. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    thanks for the link, Scuderia CC! I also see that I have been mis-spelling 'Montlhery.'

Here is a picture of the race I mentioned in my first post. Credit and gratitude to Maurice Louche for lending us this image from his huge archive.

8. Scuderia CC

Nov 1, 2003
    France
    Full Name:
    Christophe
    Thank you to have signed the petition and thank you also for the pic. The archive of Maurice Louche are it is true... impressive !!!!

9. trkevin

trkevin Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    K. Blommaert
    Nice pic, Bryanp.

It looks pretty dangerous driving there. There was no wall at the top to prevent that cars could drive off.
    But well that where the old times, aren't they wonderful.

-Kevin