Should I.......or shouldn't I??? HELP | FerrariChat

Should I.......or shouldn't I??? HELP

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Tomf-1, Mar 20, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Adam is 18 years old. He's a Senior in HS with a 4.0 GPA. A National Merit Scholar, he will leave home this fall to start his freshman year at Northwestern University. Adam is mature, responsible and he is also my son.

Here is my predicament: On April 9th, he asks if he can take my F-512TR to promp with this girl who he likes ALOT....(yeah, she is hot).

I am torn....I don't want to turn him down because I know it means a lot to him but my true #1 concern is for his safety since she is such a powerful beast. The car can always be replaced. For him, if something were to happen to the car, it's a burden that I know he would have tough time living with........Adam is a good manual driver. His car is a 2002 Mustang Convertible given to him as a gratuation gift.

What am I to do? I can't decide so I told him I will let you, my F-chatters colleagues help me with the decision this weekend. What do you think?

PS: He hasn't driven the 512TR yet.......

2. Maximo_Tifoso

Maximo_Tifoso Karting

Jan 8, 2004
    Houston TX
    That's a tough call!! The guy has done well in school and seems to have a sense of responsibility. Maybe you should let him 'test' drive her in an empty parking lot first. Taking it to prom is a tricky issue. A couple of years ago, a young guy took his prom date to the restaurant I work at. He was driving his father's mondial, and I parked it for him. However his dad was there watching him and me the whole time.

3. Bertus

Bertus Formula 3

Mar 1, 2004
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Bert S
    PS: He hasn't driven the 512TR yet.......[/QUOTE]

That PS does make all the difference IMHO !!

or you let him get to know the car before the prom

or he can take his Mustang

4. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Sounds like a responsible kid. Accidents can happen anytime. I think I'd let him take it. That's what these cars are for..to make people happy.

5. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Tom, the ultimately decision is a very personal one, and there are lots of aspects of this situation that are undoubtedly hard to articulate, which could influence you in either direction. My only suggestion would be realize that a (1) young man (responsible as he may be), (2) hot woman that he is looking to impress, (3) special night, (4) "top of the world" feeling, and (4) a V-12 engine (that he has not learned the limits of yet), are a potent mix. Tread carefully, my friend, tread very carefully.

6. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    No.

I matched Adam as you described and I would NOT have given me a Ferrari of that era. They are too difficult to drive if he decides to 'push' it a little, and you will pay for it.

Not to say I could not handle it or he can not handle it, I was driving a NSX NA2 when I was 18, BUT, it is different.... well, recall 512s...no power steering, no ABS, a very catchy tail. If this kid pushes just slightly a bit off, he is dead. You know how it is to drive the 512, its not a toy.

I say it as I fear he will want to take it and USE it a bit, but am unsure he can handle it. It's one thing when it is your own, but another when you are not paying the service bills.

I have friends that are 18, and trust me, 4.0 kids at Johns Hopkins I would not trust with a Ferrari that doesn't have at least minimal driver aid. All Ferrari's are NOT alike. The 512TR is a brute and I will not trust just anyone driving it.

My friend has driven nothing but high powered 300Z's all his life, and is 22. He could barely handle my 328 with its brakes, shifting properly, etc. Brakes were the big thing.

Just my opinion.

7. Sharif

Sharif Formula Junior

Oct 19, 2003
    New York
    Full Name:
    Sharif
    Hi,
    I think you should let him take it. If he really likes her a lot he will not do anything crrazy/dumb to put her in harms way. Thats my logic...

I certainly would not let him drive it based on grades or anything like that, in my opinion all of that goes out of the window when it comes to high powered cars. I got my 02 m3 when I was 18. I am a responsible "A" student but when you have that kind of power under the hood it's only natural to want to see what it can do

8. Bandit

Bandit Formula Junior

Dec 21, 2003
    Central MS
    Full Name:
    Mike B.
    I don't think I would let him. Even though he may be 18 years old, it can be a bad situation combining a lack of experience driving the car with trying to impress his friends and the hot chick.

Even though he may be quite responsible, there is no guarantee his classmates are. An exotic car will attract vandals like nobody's business. You also have a large group of inexperienced drivers, possibly combined with a little alcohol. The chances of somebody else damaging the car are much greater in such a situation.

If everything worked out perfect, it would certainly be one of the best memories of his life. However, for me the increased danger of his inexperience with the car and the natural carelessness that comes with a large group of kids would prevent it from happening.

You might try a compromise. Take him out some on quiet afternoons and let him get some experience with the car. Tell him that on graduation night, you will take him and his girlfriend out to a nice restaurant. He can take the TR while you follow in whatever else you have. He gets to impress the girl, and you get to make sure the situation doesn't get out of hand.

9. F360@20

F360@20 Karting

Nov 24, 2003
    San Diego
    I would say let him take it. Its a big night and his last big memory of H.S! I would of loved the chance to take a car like that to a prom. Worse case rent a car for him?

1. Fist take him out and just let him drive it around with you. Let him feel where the power is and when it will break loose. (so the first time it happens he is not with his date)

2. Let him drive it to dinner and to the dance. Then return the car before he goes to after parties.

10. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Tom -

He might be a great driver, and treat the car with great respect. But, let me offer two points:

1. What do girls wear to proms these days? When I went, my date's dress (and ass) would never have fit into a Ferrari. Too much frilly stuff.

2. MORE IMPORTANTLY, what about the other drunk loosers at the prom? They'll take one look at the 512 & hot girl, and get mighty jealous. From experience, jealous teenages can do nasty things to nice cars. I had a terrific P-car in high school that my Dad and I spent years restoring. You don't want to know what those punks did. All the buffing compound in the world wouldn't have made a difference.

Maybe you could let him drive the Ferrari to dinner & to the prom, then swap with his mustang while he's at the dance. Put the 512 back in the garage, and let your son have a great (and safe) time in his familiar car.

-Daniel

11. 365boy

365boy Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Brighton, England
    Full Name:
    John Leaman
    If he gets half the thrill from driving it as I used to get from just being allowed to sit in other people's exotics - I think you should let him take it....

12. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    F360, you forget that 512TRs are much harder to drive and drive right when compared to a 360. If the kid is not used to no ABS then what? Not to mention there is no electronic aid what so ever...

When I first tried no abs I knew ok pump brakes...but knowing what to do and doing it in an emergency situation is different.

13. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    If you decide to let him drive, make sure your insurance covers him at 18 yrs of age. Im thinking a lot of policies written for exotics do not.

14. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    let him drive the car, in traffic and on the highway with you. stress to him the unforgiving nature of the car and REMIND him that he will have said hot girl with him. then let him take it and give them a curfew to when the CAR( yes i said CAR) has to be back at home, but not one saying they have to stay there ( ie go out in the 'stang afterwards, change clothes ect and party all night") they will both remember this for the rest of thier lives. give him a chance to shine . my .02 michael

15. Jordan Ross

Jordan Ross Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    Austin
    IMO you should take him to a racetrack in the car, with you in the pasenger seat. Teach him the limits of the car, IE braking threshold, accel. traction, handling ETC. Then let him drive it on the street for a few hours a week (with you still co-piloting). Then decide if you trust him enough not to get killed on Prom night. I know that Id die from shock if I got to drive a TestaRossa at that age, Im 16 and just seeing one I get light headed :)

16. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas

Daniel--- Hollyn, his girlfriend works at Abercrombie&Fitch so she is very provacative in her attires. Heck, I'm 37 (got married young while in college) but I recalled car pooling with another friend of mine during promp who had a Pinto so my frame of reference isn't reflective.

So far, I must say the odd isn't in Adam's favor or against so I am pretty much where I started...However, everyone's point is poignant and valid. You presented a viable alternative but I'd prefer to either veto it or just let him have it for the evening. Again, I don't care if he wrecks the car....but I am most concerned about his safety and the safety of others.

BTW, he does have access to my 02 Yellow NSX anytime he wants but as we all know "it ain't no Ferrari".....

17. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Yellow NSX I think works perfect.

18. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Go drive with him..
    You probably know how does he drives by now anyway ?

But unless he drives like a maniac , i would let him. Something he will always remember ...esp with his girl.

19. dave_fonz_164

dave_fonz_164 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Davide Giuseppe F.
    for my prom i was lent an 88 Alfa Romeo Spider QV, although no where as dangerous it wasnt the easiest of cars to drive. i was very responsible with the car and returned with a full tank, nice wash and no problems.

its a gesture that i never forgot, i would lend it to him

20. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas

In his defense, he did say "it's a cool car but it is NO Ferrari, Dad"....and he is right. Sarah also offers the use of her new Lexus but...(well, you can guess the answer). Besides, he has complete access to these cars at his disposal.

Ya know.....20 years ago, I'd be elated to have anything resembling an "automobile" for my promp let alone having options to choose.....

21. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

This is not a great idea.

My senior year in H.S., many moons ago, a neighbor gave his son, a well respected, responsible and good student, his 911 to take to the prom.

He went to the prom, behaved himself, then went to a post prom party, and took two of his buddies for a spin around the block.

5 minutes later, he lost the back end of the car, showing off at about 80, and broadsided a tree with the passenger side of the car after swapping ends.

2 dead, driver and front seat passenger, rear seat rider popped out the back window. We all heard the crash, as it was only a few 100 feet from where we were at the time. The car sat out front at the body shop for a month to remind us.

Put yourself in his position, could you have resisted the temptation to show what the car could do?

No joke, responsible kids on important nights with powerful cars make a very dangerous mix.

My oldest is a junior, and asked if he could take the Dino to his prom this spring. Not even all that powerful a car, but none the less, quicker than he's driven, and a whole new world of potential trouble.

Told him nope, offered the BMW 530, which he gladly will take instead.

22. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    I echo your fear of such undesirable outcome.
    I appreciate the input.

23. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    Let him drive a van to the prom.
    He will think it is lame... till later after the prom ;)

24. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    I would say no. The 512TR can be tricky in the hands of an experienced driver with lots of track time. It can be downright deadly in the hands of a novice. The problem is they're not terribly forgiving and if things go south, they go fast. I've seen people damn near spin a 512TR in a parking lot.

I do think it presents the perfect opportunity to bestow a driving school gift certificate for the coming graduation.

25. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas

LOL....I think we are beyond that.

I knew he is all grown up when I handed him this year Sport Illustrated Swimsuit issue and said "Son!!! You read it first"....

Of course, as he left with it to his room, I knew once he's done reading it, I won't likely want to touch it again.