Mondial engine removal | FerrariChat

Mondial engine removal

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Meister, Mar 20, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    I've been looking to add a Mondial to the garage. I've found a couple of cars that need a little TLC...just the way I like them =) Anyway, I've got my eye on a couple right now that need some engine work. I'm just wondering if I got into a car like that and needed to do engine work could I get it out through the top or have to take it out from under the car? These would be pre "T" cars, a 2V 8 or a 4V. Thanks guys.

2. tifosi

tifosi F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Sep 5, 2001
    texas
    Full Name:
    Tom D
    I think most take them out via the top, its a little tricky but I think that is the way it is done

3. Kingpin328

Kingpin328 Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2003
    Through the top ?! for all I know, the Mondial's have a subframe holding the engine a la 348 / TR.

4. tifosi

tifosi F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Sep 5, 2001
    texas
    Full Name:
    Tom D
    you might be right but i don't think the early ones has this, I could be mistaken

5. ctkellett

ctkellett Karting

Jan 2, 2004
    Havertown PA
    Full Name:
    Chris K.
    They come out the bottom, subframe and all.

6. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    thanks

7. pnorman

pnorman Rookie

Dec 30, 2003
    The early Mondials were the first Ferrari's to have the engine and transmission (subframe) unbolt and drop down like A F1 car. Also the first 308 engines to have fuel injection...Patrick

8. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    The earlier Modials will have to have the engine taken out of the top. The later ones have the subframe and come out of the bottom..

9. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    I'm looking at an 83. Since they began in 80 I'm guessing that's what you are refering to as early and the "T" modles as later?

10. Philjay50

Philjay50 Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2003
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    Philip
    To the best of my knowledge and my workshop manual, the engine is dropped down with the subframe. I am sure that the basic construction did not change over the first few years of production. I cdannot speak for the " T" cars.
    If you look in the engine bay at the extreme front corners you should see where it bolts on to the tub, and the same underneath.

If you go that way post up some pics.

11. henryk

henryk Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Door County, WI
    My Mondial WSM (1983), for a 308 QV, has instructions and pictures showing the engine/sub-frame, with drive train, coming out the bottom.

12. Matt Morgan, "Kermit"

Matt Morgan, "Kermit" Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2003
    Ferndale, WA
    I'm doing an '82 Mondy overhaul right now, and it was settup to come out the bottom, so I'm positive yours will too, as I've done an '84 and it dropped out too.
    HTH
    Kermit

13. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    All Mondials are built to drop the engine and rear subframe out the bottom.

14. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Uhhhhhh no they are not. The early models had the engines mounted the same as in the 308's and 328's.

15. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner

Hmmm - not my information - as the parts books display the same #s and my shop book for the 8 and qv outline the same proceedure for the early as late. Well, good thing to figure out on the board - will verify.
    best
    rt

16. norm

norm Karting

May 30, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    QV's cars & up come out the bottom: with engine, transaxle, exhaust, on subframe & intact. Even coming out the bottom, not a huge amount of room to manuever. tight fit between front gas tank area & rear bulk head for rear bonnet. Physically impossible to take a QV engine out of a cab from the top. Hell you can't even get the rear head off the studs due to interference with the rear bulkhead, let a lone think about the engine coming out thru the top.

17. pogibm

pogibm Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    Washington
    Full Name:
    Randy Madamba
    I have one of the early one's they do come out from the bottom actually my car is the one Kermit's working on.

18. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    I stand corrected gentlemen. I went to the Ferrari website, and all the modials do in fact have removable rear subframes. For some odd reason I was under the impression that only the 3.2's came out the bottom. My appologies. Bad ernie, bad, bad. I'll go sit in the corner now with the dunce cap on. LOL

19. tifosi

tifosi F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Sep 5, 2001
    texas
    Full Name:
    Tom D
    Ernie, I will sit there with you :)

20. dakharris

dakharris Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2001
    Sleepy Hollow