Q:It's raining. Do you take your Ferrari out? | FerrariChat

Q:It's raining. Do you take your Ferrari out?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by F1Ace, Mar 20, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F1Ace

F1Ace F1 Rookie

Mar 15, 2004
    Full Name:
    Wes
    As I contemplate getting my first Ferrari I had to ask what some of you consider "daily driving"? Let's say it's raining, but your Ferrari is your "daily driver", how many here would still take it out?

Is there any problem with doing that? (I'm considering 328 and 348's)

Thanks!
    Wes

2. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Not anymore....I fear water for it leads to rust on my car.

Yes 328s are rust proofed, BUT the paint is one layer thick and as a result stone chips expose bear metal.....enough said..

3. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Is there a "problem" with taking it out? No -- the cars are built to handle rain.

That being said, do I? No.

Do others? Absolutely.

4. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    I don't have a problem driving a Ferrari in the rain,
    but if the weather is bad I will usually grab the BMW or Rover
    which have appropriate tires for the conditions at hand.

5. Willis360

Willis360 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Willis H
    This "drive in the rain" questions has been asked many times here and on the old F-Chat site. A Ferrari is still a car. It will not melt in the rain. Living here in the Seattle area, rain is unavoidable. Most of our club regulars have no qualms getting the F-cars wet on a regular basis.

6. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
  7. F1Ace

F1Ace F1 Rookie

Mar 15, 2004
    Full Name:
    Wes
    Sounds good to me!

Thanks!
    Wes

8. Willis360

Willis360 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Willis H
    While it's OK to drive the Ferrari in the rain, it makes good sense to look the car over (sills, door jams, etc.) and clean it up when you get home.

9. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Why bother driving in the rain? That's what the other cars are for.

Driving the f-car in the rain might be fine, but what about all the stupid SUV moms who plow right into your car when they're yelling at the kids, sipping their Starbucks, and yapping on the phone. No way. I'd rather have *everybody* on dry pavement when I'm in my car.

-Daniel

10. 456mgt

456mgt Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2002
    Cambridge UK
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Yes. It's good fun when the grip levels are reduced- you have to 'feel' the car more. The main downer about driving in the wet is that your car gets filthy, which means I have to clean it before putting it away. Three days in a row it gets a bit boring, so I prefer it when it's dry and the car goes several outings before being cleaned.

11. Jimmy540i

Jimmy540i Formula 3
    BANNED

Jan 11, 2004
    Los Angeles / NYC
    Full Name:
    www.Jimmy540i.com
  12. TOM B

TOM B Formula 3

Jul 24, 2003
    Orange County, NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Buckley
    Goodness , gracious No ! Drive my Ferrari in the rain ? Are you daf ? My heavens, I don't even take it out at night, It might catch a chill. In fact, if the barometric pressure, dew point, temperature are not within very tight ranges of acceptability, I keep it in the garage with an electric blanket wrapped around it.

Removing tongue from cheek.

I love driving her in the rain ! Particularly at this time of year. It washes the salt off ! :)

Tom

13. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    Rain, snow, dirt, mud, all kinds of weather and conditions. Bottom line, it's a car. Drive it, repair it, wash it when dirty, rahab the things that bother you and sell it when you become bored.

14. Robert Mann

Robert Mann Karting

Feb 21, 2001
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Robert Mann
    Absolutely Not !

It is equal to respecting a lovely woman. I have not done it in 16+ years of Ferrari ownership and do not intend on changing my ways.

Robert Mann

15. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
    Well said Robert.

16. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Love the way that was put. :)

17. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    I do, and put the top down!

18. 575Mike

575Mike Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Most lovely women like to get wet.

19. Tifoso1

Tifoso1 F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Pacific NW
    Full Name:
    Anthony C.
    With all due respect, we all bought a CAR, not a flower pot. :)

20. sandersja

sandersja Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2003
    Portland OR
    Full Name:
    John Sanders
    I try not to drive the Ferrari in the rain - but not because I think it will melt or that I am at significantly more risk from clueless SUV drivers.

Basically, in order to keep the car looking good, there is a significant amount of effort required to re-detail once the road goo and junk gets plastered everywhere. Not worth driving it in the rain just for the hell of it.

21. labcars

labcars Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Phila. + Scottsdale
    I vividly recall driving my 275GTS up to the Reading Concours last year with the top down...in the rain. Didn't get wet, freaked out everyone else on the road, and had a blast. A friend of mine was right behind me, driving my 550. We got to Reading, I put the top up, and when the rain stopped we wiped both cars down and enjoyed the day. They both seem to still work after getting wet (not for the first time, either!). Must be a miracle! Drive the damn things in any weather---They're CARS!!

22. mondial86

mondial86 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    MA
    Full Name:
    David Holmes
    If I have time to clean it after the ride I drive it in about anything!!!!

23. TOM B

TOM B Formula 3

Jul 24, 2003
    Orange County, NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Buckley
    Bless you !

They are just cars. Wondrous, joyful, spiritual things but, cars, none the less. Enjoy them to the fullest. Drive them as often as possible.

Tom

24. DrewH

DrewH F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I bought a Ferrari for a toy only and driving it in the rain is not as fun as when it is warm and dry out.

I would guess that most people who bought their Ferrari as their only car and it is their daily driver would drive in all weather but people like me who have two other vehicles to drive would leave the Ferrari in the garage when it is raining.

When your car gets splashed by other cars passing they are spraying your car with sand and road grit. Picture taking a bucket of water and adding a cup or two of sand, now mix well and throw at the side of your car with force.

DrewH

25. Juice It

Juice It F1 Rookie

Sep 22, 2002
    Maryland (DC Suburb)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I only take mine out in the nice weather, but the way the hood or whatever you want to call it over the engine on the 355 lets water pass through to the engine can't be good. I started noticing a faulty slow down light a while back right after I got finished washing the car. Could have been a coincidence but I think it is from water getting into something it shouldn't have.