Any Abarth enthusiasts here? | FerrariChat

Any Abarth enthusiasts here?

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by Peter, Nov 1, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    I love these cars. I passed on a few examples when I was looking for one, all in sad shape and big $$$, but came close to getting one (a '61 Monomille), before I bought the Ferrari.

I still hope to get one one day... Just need a bigger garage!

2. F SPIDER

F SPIDER F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jan 30, 2002
    NYC, A'dam, W'stock
    Full Name:
    rijk rietveld
    Peter,

In the early seventies I owned several (new) Abarths. Great cars

Rijk

3. Stickanddice

Stickanddice Formula 3

Nov 2, 2002
    I got my first speeding ticket in an Abarth. 750 Doppia Gobba (sp?). Neat little cars. What a blast. Those beefed up Topolinos look like fun too.

What really gets me going are the really cool Abarth race cars though. Cool logo too. :)

Cheers

4. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Abarths rock.
    I would love to be able to FIT in an Abarth Porsche, one of my all time favorites!

5. harmitc

harmitc Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    England
    Full Name:
    Bernard R
    I'm building an Abarth 1000 TC Corsa 1967.

Bodyshell is complete, just started to fit up front & rear suspension. Many parts on order from Italy, hope to complete Spring '04.

I'll try & post a few pic's soon

6. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    #6 Peter, Nov 7, 2003
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Are you getting your parts from Berni Motori? If you are, do you know of any news on a new catalogue? The last one I have is from 2000.

A local enthusiast has a a TC as well that I think was once owned by Al Cosentino (not sure though so don't quote me on that!). Picture of it is below...

Please, post pics of your project, I'd love to see it...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. harmitc

harmitc Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    England
    Full Name:
    Bernard R
    Hi Peter,

Yes, most of the parts are via Berni Motori, but you’re doing better than me, I’ve got a ’98 catalogue!

My car will end up looking very similar to the Al Consentino car as your picture. I’m building a 982cc engine based on a highly modified 850 sport block with the oil system re-machined to pressure feed the mains & use the externally mounted oil filter assy’.

Hoping for somewhere around 100hp. The shell is complete, suspension is ready to bolt on, but missing front uprights & brake callipers. However should all arrive within the next few weeks, so I can get the car sitting on its wheels.

I’ve got lots of normal photo’s, but no digital, so I’ll try & take a few soon.

By the way, I lost my user name in the site change over, but I used to have the GTS Turbo and we emailed a few times about buying these cars direct from Italy!

Hope the GT4 is still going well.

8. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    Not much difference between the two, really. It seems like he published it every two years. '02 should've been out if that's the case. I asked David Thomas in the UK where I bought both of my copies and he knew nothing of an '02 (back then).

I suppose the same method outlined in Cosentino's 850 Competition manual?

Please forgive me, but I can't remember (big changes since the intro of this new site and many people have changed names. You're not the only one!). Please email to remind me if you like... My car needs a new fuel pump, but other than that, its been great.

9. abarthracer

abarthracer Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2003
    Falmouth, Cape Cod
    Full Name:
    david S.
    Just checking in on a old post. I do have the Abarth sickness, and in about 2 weeks the Ferrari illness takes hold when my new car arrives! Does it ever stop?????
    Thanks
    David

10. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    I love that yellow Double Bubble of yours. I noticed it has the wind deflectors around the door windows... Those are missing on many cars I've seen - very delicate. Good to see it on yours.

What Ferrari are you getting? Have you sold any of these Abarths to make room for the Ferrari?

11. abarthracer

abarthracer Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2003
    Falmouth, Cape Cod
    Full Name:
    david S.
    Thanks Peter. THey are fun little cars. I race the Yellow car 5-6 times a year. Just slide it thru the corners! I am getting a Mondial, hopefully will be here in a week or so. I did have to sell a car to make room in the garage, and it was as dear to me as the Abarth's. It was a 59 Multipla that I found in Colorado and then restored. What a great little car. but alas, I can't keep them all. It went to a baker from Brooklyn NY who wants to use it for advertising! I will attach a picture of it.
    David

12. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    I love those Multipla's too! Funny cars! There was one here in Vancouver, owned by an automobilia store as advertising too, but they've since sold it...

Great to hear you race the 750 GT.

13. harmitc

harmitc Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    England
    Full Name:
    Bernard R
    #13 harmitc, May 3, 2004
    Slow progress is being made with my resto'. The car has just had the paintwork finished with stripes & checkers. Crankshaft & rods complete & the 5 speed dog box conversion is due for despatch tomorrow. The engine & gearbox have been dummy installed & plumbed so the next time should I hope be troble free! A few pics below!

The crank & rods are bespoke, when finished all the blue silicon hose will be covered by black heatshrink. Trying to keep it looking as 60's as possible but with some degree of update & reliability. Completion date is EO May.

14. GarnetRedCoupe

GarnetRedCoupe Formula Junior

Mar 21, 2004
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Steve
    What a fantastic looking automobile, it is one of my all time favorties too!

15. dave_fonz_164

dave_fonz_164 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Davide Giuseppe F.
    i absolutely love those abarths, good job

my dad had a late 70's Autobianchi A112 Abarth, he told that thing ripped like crazy

one of my all time fav abarths is the Fiat 131 Mirafiori with the Abarth engine and body kit!

16. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    Wow, that looks great! Who made the crank and rods?

17. harmitc

harmitc Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    England
    Full Name:
    Bernard R
    They were made by a UK co' who I promised I would not advertise! These one offs are not profitable but they do a few every year for people like myself with odd projects! They make the cranks & rods for everything from WW II tanks thro' to F1 cars. Its a fantastic co' to visit and the owner is not only a true gentlemen but knows more about engines & engineering than I ever will!

18. Berlina Corsa

Berlina Corsa Rookie

Mar 15, 2004
    Getting my 850TC ready for another season, I'm looking to "firm up" the rear suspension with a set of adjustable shocks (Koni, Spax or other with adjustment from the top). Any suggestions? Cheers.

Alain

19. harmitc

harmitc Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    England
    Full Name:
    Bernard R
    #19 harmitc, Dec 11, 2004
  20. harmitc

harmitc Karting

Nov 2, 2003