Did Langka work for you ? | FerrariChat

Did Langka work for you ?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by peajay, Mar 21, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. peajay

peajay Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2002
    near Paris, France
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I have a few paint chips to touch up and I saw good comments about Langka to level the paint after touch up. Mt first attempts have not been very successful, the Langka did take off the excess paint, but the chipped area is still below the surface of the surrounding paint, so it is still visible. Maybe I didn't let it dry long enough ? I left it about 6 hours ? I am using paint from Paintscratch.com.

What do you reckon ?

2. roccapalumbo

roccapalumbo Karting

Mar 16, 2004
    ohio
    Full Name:
    robert
    Peajay, that is exactly it. You need to let the paint dry longer, especially if the weather where you are is cooler. I have had good success with this product. Re-paint and let it sit a couple of days and try again. LOL.

3. peajay

peajay Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2002
    near Paris, France
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Yes it is pretty cool here this time of the year, but I didn't want to leave it too long in case it couldn't be removed. The instructions say something like 45-90 minutes. I'm glad to hear you recommend to leave it a couple of days, so I will leave it at least 24 hours and see what happens

4. 355f

355f Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    well i bought some based on good reviews here.

I used to use car polish and polish the chip down, very time consuming. I find lanka though is far too harsh, seems to remove too much no matter how careful I am

5. atheyg

atheyg Guest

I think you are better off with a oo brush and 2000 grit sandpaper, the most important part is filling the chip as level as possible and smooth then sand.

The Lankga would take off too much paint and I never could get it level, but I am a perfectionist and want it to look perfect.

6. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    It CAN take too much paint off, but with practice it seems to work better. I am finding that it takes two or three attempts on a larger chip to get it looking pretty smooth and even.

7. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    It's takes a bit of practice. Let it dry lslightly onger, and also DO use a flat edge (even a stiff business card will do it) to help with leveling during the removal step.

8. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Right! I didn't explain very well, but I wait at least two days. Then carefully remove the blob, then wait an hour, and apply a bit more paint, then wait a couple more days.

Works for me. I lost the plastic card that came with it, but now use the plastic card that came with some protective plastic film for the front of my car. A credit card should work well too.

BTW, make sure you use a very fine weave, smooth cotton fabric. I am using an old pinpoint cotton dress shirt. I tried an old cotton t-shirt, and the heavier fabric seemed to "dig" into the chip and remove more paint than the finer weave dress shirt fabric.