what's in a sticker price MSRP | FerrariChat

what's in a sticker price MSRP

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by urraco, Mar 20, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. urraco

urraco Formula Junior

Feb 18, 2004
    Mexiko
    Full Name:
    Nitram
    Everytime I see a Ferrari on the street, it makes me wonder: Are they worth their asked price? Considering the fact that a Corvette Z06 or (if you prefer european) a Bavarian M3 both can outperform a 360 Modena with more realibility also at 1/3 the price. That leaves me guessing why pay the extra 100 grand? Is that the price one has to pay for exclusivity? what percentage of that amount actually represents the italian car's value? or is it just an ego thing to show the world you can afford it? help me figure out what's behind that stratospherical invoice?

2. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    an m3 cant not out perform an 360.....ferrari uses a great deal of very expensive materials that are hand assembled thru ou t ther cars... this is expensive and labor intensive....if you want to stricky talk about speed per dollar...i can, for 25k,take a used camaro, that is enhance , and it blow the doors off an m3 for 1/2 the price... you are compairing apples and oranges....if the z06,which i used to own, or an m3 gave me even 1/2 the thrill of driving a ferrari, i would certainly be driving on e now and i could pocket the extra 100k..but they dont

3. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

As they say, "if you have to ask, you wouldn't understand."

4. W00dEar

W00dEar F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 24, 2004
    LI, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    One of my favor saying:
    "as long as there are both rich and poor in this world, we need ways to tell one from another".

That's why we see cars cost more than a house, or a watch cost more than a luxury car ... Things like that is never about value.

5. Tennlee

Tennlee Formula Junior

Feb 10, 2002
    Great Smoky Mountains
    Ferrari in many cases could charge more. They are actively managing supply and demand. Chevrolet just let's the Boling Green plant run...

6. RAYMAN

RAYMAN Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 10, 2004
    Oklahoma
    Full Name:
    Raymond Santilli
    Well once again, it's hard to explain. you either understand the mystique or you don't. It's not all about blowing the doors off someone. Ferrari's have pressence, they don't have prove themselves through 1/4 mile times.

It takes 300-500 hours to build a Ferrari, probably about 50 for that chevy.

7. acw

acw Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    Ferrari is not just about performance. It is also about the driving experience. My GT2 is way faster than my Spider, however, it is not as intense to drive.

To me, Ferrari provides a unique entertaining driving experience with the right engine noise, steering and car feel. It is hard to pinpoint exactly what creates this intensity but it is clearly unique.

AW

8. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    well said

9. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    If you will be satisfied with a plain burger, you go to McDonalds, but for a fine steak, you pay a little extra and go to Ruth Chris or Lowrey's.

10. urraco

urraco Formula Junior

Feb 18, 2004
    Mexiko
    Full Name:
    Nitram
    I recall Enzo Il Commendatore once said: My cars aren't perfect but they are unique, Let's raise their price just in order to keep them exclusive. Also he started to make high profit by selling cars just because to finance their racing teams. So why should I over pay?

11. l'esecuzioneItaliana

Jan 29, 2004
    You shouldnt. You dont need a Ferrari. If you dont see the soul and the heart of Ferraris and where it came from, and your *****ing about price, you dont need one. There quality, hand built, exqusite cars, manufactured for the ones who know why there were made. If you want to buy one to stand out and dog the **** out of it everyday, it wasnt made for you. But if you cherish it, and love it like another human being, its nice to you. Its a car with feelings. Buy it with money, cherish it with love.