Anyone up for a karting day? | FerrariChat

Anyone up for a karting day?

Discussion in 'California & Nevada (Northern)' started by PeterS, Mar 16, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    I belong to a kart club in Atwater,CA (20 minutes south of Modesto). Just seeing if any FChatters would like to meet me on a Saturday or a Sunday at the track and ride. My karts are not the fastest (55-65), but they are a hell of a lot of fun, 100cc Yamaha. You will be most comfortable if you are about 210 pounds / and 6'0" max. Maybe Art can join us with his shifter (but not proper to ask him if you could drive it). I have two 100cc karts that we can rip around on. It's a hoot!

My limit is one guest, but everyone seems to break the rules. I would not have a problem with 4-6 friends that happen to show up! I have never seen the club police there!

I am thinking of this maybe on 3/27 or 4/10 around noon. Any takers?

2. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    I'd be in for sure! Keep me posted!

--Dan

3. ART360

ART360 Guest

I'' come, and if I can, I'll bring Jeff Hagan and his 125 Honda cart. I don't think its a good idea for someone who doesn't have a lot of carting time to try to drive a 125. Especiallly at Atwater. The banked turn in a 125 could cause serious injury to someone who doesn't have much seat time in a shifter. I do have room a passenger in the Van though.

Art

4. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    How about March 27th at noon? Art is dead on regarding driving a 125. 90MPH is no place for a begginer. I have about 50 hours in my 100cc and it's still enough for me!

5. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    I'd like to join in and march 27th. should work. What time will you head down Art? I could ride with you.

vincent.

6. ART360

ART360 Guest

Vincent:

I've got an 11am meeting in Oakland, that should be done about 12. I'll leave right after that, and its about 1 1/2 hours from Oakland. If you don't mind hanging out for about 1 hour in Oakland, you could come by my house at 10:30, and we could go from there.

Art

7. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    Ok, or I could meet you in oakland. would it be on the way for you to drop me off back to my car when we are done.

Vincent.

8. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    Lets check the weather forecast mid-week, there may be some rain. It would be great to get a group of guys out there. Just redeid the brakes on the Tony kart and will have a fresh Top-End on the Invader. Please reply to this tread!

9. ART360

ART360 Guest

Looks like I got my secretary to drive the Van. Taking the plane.

Art

10. ART360

ART360 Guest

Looks like Saturday is going to be a good weather day. I'm going to fly down, have something to drive the van. Plan on being there at about 1 - 1:30.

Art

11. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    Art & Vincent - I could meet up with you guys, especially if there is a caravan.

EDIT: Art- I am near Marin Ranch, give me a call if you want a co-pilot. Don't want to presume anything, but I can pump gas and wash windscreens :p)

Peter- far too kind of you to offer! I may just observe. I know the 100s are NOT slow either. I have driven an old 80cc centrifugical clutch cart exactly once, it was quite quick.

12. ART360

ART360 Guest

Ben:

Depending on the weather the plan is this: 1. My secretary, Zoya will drive the Van to Atwater.2. My wife and I will fly to Modesto, then drive to Atwater, when the day is done, Diane (wife) and I fly to Sonora spend the night with Peter & spouse, come back home on Sunday. Zoya, et al drive the Van back to my house.

I think my friend Jeff Hagan will also be bringing his cart in the van, so that there will be at least 2 people in the Van, maybe 3 if Vincent rides along with them.

The Shifters are very very quick at Atwater. The turn off the end of the straightaway is banked and if you're feeling brave, you don't have to shut off. I would suspect that you're going 80 - 90 mph there. At the end of that turn, there is a steeper bank, and tighter turn leading into a short shoot, and a sets of esses, another very short shoot, a left hander, then a right leading back onto the straight away.

If you do want to drive, you'll need a helmet, and leather gloves, and wear boots.

By the way, what sort of airplane ratings do you have?

Art

13. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    Hrm, 3rd try at replying.

Art- I am actually still working on my Private.

I fly with a friend of mine who was getting his MEI, then later with him in a twin when he was working on building multi time. So I've landed the Dutchess at night, etc. However, I need much work on the navigation and radio communication areas. (the hard stuff of aviation.) still.

Vincent- are you going?

PS: Are sparco-type drivng shoes a good idea, or should I bring something that will actually offer toe and ankle protection ie steel toe hiking full-boots?

14. ART360

ART360 Guest

I wear driving shoes. Haven't crashed seriously yet though.

Art

15. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    Ben,

i am going, will be leaving Napa hopefully around 10:30 or so.

give me a call in the morning maybe we can ride down together.

vincent.

16. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    ArthurD...You can observe, but plan on driving! You will watch things for an hour and you will want to drive! You don't have to go like a bat out'a hell (You will after a few laps!). Wear tennis shoes (sorry Art). They are the most comfortable. If you wear boots, they may be too cumberson for the pedals.

I think I am going to pick up Art at the Modesto Airport. I have pleanty of room (with my gear, I can fit 5).

Peter

17. ART360

ART360 Guest

Looks like I'm driving. Diane hurt her back, doesn't want to come to Atwater. I'll be there about 2pm with the other shifter (Hagan's). I have room for one more person in the van if they want. I'll be leaving from Oakland, near the lake at about 2pm.

Art

18. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    You're leaving at 2?

Vincent.

19. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    I will be at the track no later than noon. www.elite.net/akc is the link to the track. Good overhead pictures!

20. ART360

ART360 Guest

Vince:

My mistake 12:00 noon. Call me on the cell this am.

Art

21. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    Repost: Sorry guys, I can't make it this time. Family visiting from San Diego.

Have a great time, drive safe!

Best!
    Ben.

22. ART360

ART360 Guest

you guys missed a great day. Vince came down and really got with the program. I've got the shifter working well, and will be running next weekend at Sears Point.

Peter: please post some of those pictures.

Art

23. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    Peter, Art, Jeff,

Thanks for letting me take a few "spins" in your carts. Peter's first instructions: "when you spin out...and you will...." That was awesome wether you're in the 100cc or the shifter. Great track!

Ben, Dan, you guys really missed something, but beware, you're going to want some more toys!

Vincent.

24. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Sorry I missed it. Next time...

--Dan

25. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name: