F355 New Owner looking for help!!! | FerrariChat

F355 New Owner looking for help!!!

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by F355Blu, Mar 21, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F355Blu

F355Blu Rookie

Mar 21, 2004
    Hi all

I have finally got my hands on my dream car - a 97 F355 GTB manual.

However, despite PPI and everything looking good - and only 15K miles, Twice in the last 600 miles when I have been running the car for a short time, when I pull up at lights, it starts smoking with bright WHITE smoke. When, I pull off it goes. When it does smoke there is lots of it :-( BUT it has only happened twice - the day I got it and today (couple of weeks apart) - rest of the time its fine.

Dealer says that he topped up the oil when cold on the day I collected it and he may have over filled it.

Help - any ideas - what shold I do??

thanks in advance

F

2. mac355gts

mac355gts Karting

Dec 27, 2003
    London/Kent U.K
    Full Name:
    Alan
    Don't panic !!!.
    I have had exactly the same problem myself.
    I would bet from the sound of it, that he has overfilled (I did it myself,so had no one to blame !!).
    I thought that I was looking at a huge bill, but there was no damage done at all (other than to my heart condition and pride).
    Just drain some oil out.
    I am mot exactly sure as to what the technical reason for this is, I am sure someone more proficient in these things can explain ?

3. MY355

MY355 Formula Junior

Feb 4, 2004
    NYC and AZ

YEPPER..... I DID THE SAME THING and felt like an a$$.
    that day.

4. FL 355

FL 355 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2002
    Ft Laud
    Full Name:
    Frank Lipinski
    The 355 is very sensative to overfill. Despite the owners manual procedure to check after a warm up, I check it the same way I do my P-Car, with the engine warm and running.

As you know cap is very very hot! Also - don't believe what they say in the manual about burning a quart every 1,000 miles or whatever it is. I burn zero in between oil changes and I think most 355 owners will tell you the same thing. Rember the golden rule, better 1/2 low than 1/2 over.