Montoya attitude | FerrariChat

Montoya attitude

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by shelbee, Mar 21, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. shelbee

shelbee Guest

I don't understand what's up with him??

Perhaps he should be sent back to Columbia and restrict him with NASCAR??

2. shelbee

shelbee Guest

Juan Pablo Montoya, Williams (2nd):
    “I had a good first few laps and I managed to get in front of Rubens. Then I had quite a smooth race. Towards the end I was trying to catch Michael because I felt my car was just getting better and better. Unfortunately, after my third and last stop I exited the pit lane behind Rubens. I tried to pass him but then I preferred to back off as I did not want to compromise a good second position. I realised at this point that the most important thing was taking home some valuable points for the team and for myself.”

Yeah right, drive faster if you want to win

3. ART360

ART360 Guest

I think he made the decision, when he tried to pass Rubens, and was almost put in the weeds by Ruben. I don't think that he'd last long in NASCAR.

Art

4. labcars

labcars Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Phila. + Scottsdale
    The man can't win. You guys get ticked if he acts out of self interest, as well as when he acts in the best interest of the team. Pick one, would ya!

5. KMS

KMS Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 22, 2003
    Seriously Shelbee, you aren't writing his checks. As far as his bosses are concerned he made the right decision.

6. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    You guys all need JPM or F1 would be dull as dirt.

He is the Darth Vader to your Luke Skywalker

7. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
    He's a PUTZ!! "You bwoke my f$cking head... oh no.. mommy, that bad camera man bwoke my f$cking head! Boo Hoo !! Hey, I'm gonna kick your a.. oh wait a minute, I didn't know you are 6'2" 220 and I am 5'4" 138 soaking wet! But you bwoke my head!"

8. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    Now look at his comments after the PC he is claiming team tactics by Ferrari.

JPM is so much in love with himself that when he is making love to his wife it is Juan that is Shouthing " OH JUAN OH JUAN I am so good. I am the stud to end all studs!!!!"

I think he should go to NASCAR that way Jimmy spenser can punch him in the face everytime he starts to bawl like a baby...

9. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I think he is intimated by the opposition ... oops, so much for the tough man of F1.

I think he did the right thing, he got second place, would never have caught MS. While I am 100% into real racing, sometimes you do know you are beaten and taking risks and losing a probably 8 points is stupid.

The WC is about the whole season. Williams need to improve the car so that JPM can start the race in a fighting position instead of picking up the pieces at the end of the race.

As for the post race conference comments ... JPM sounded like he has a sense of humour after all ... but MS has him completed sussed and made sure JPM was completely deflated by reminding the world that he had lifted off and cruised to the end, and thus JPM was NOT closing due to his abilities :D

Got to love how MS never misses a beat to put the opposition in their rightful place ;)

Pete

10. shelbee

shelbee Guest

How about a switch,

Dale Earnhardt, Jr. to F1 driving JPM's BMW Williams car, and JPM goes to Nascar. I am sure everyone agrees. He looks better than JPM on the F1 car, besides we need a US driver in F1 too

11. owsi

owsi Karting

Dec 7, 2003
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Sure, that way, as soon as there is a right hander, Williams will be down to one car racing!

12. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Its simple. JPM has blueballs. He is totally frustrated and beaten by the second race of the season. I have more respect for Button.

13. Maximo_Tifoso

Maximo_Tifoso Karting

Jan 8, 2004
    Houston TX
    Ain't that the truth!!!

14. tuttebenne

tuttebenne F1 Rookie

Mar 26, 2003
    Bay Shore, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy
    I've gotta go back to the tape and catch the press conference 'cause I don't know what this is all about. What I can say however is that JPM brings some life to the sport because he says what's on his mind. Jacques Villeneuve was that way as well. There is room for those kinds of personalities in the sport. I love Ferrari and am a Schumie fan, but let's face it; doesn't he make you want to puke with his political-speak sometimes?

15. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    You have to listen to MS real hard, but sometimes he drops in a little amusing comment ... ;)

When you think of how many post race press conferences he has done, er, well it must get boring :D

The best was one with his brother and they both gave each other a hard time ... and the look on MS's face was like fnck you Ralph!. Can't remember when but it was a few seasons ago.

Pete

16. pizzadude

pizzadude Formula 3

Feb 20, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    A lot of people don't like it when schumacher talks saying he it too PC and just trying to say the right thing. I appreciate seeing someone act like a professional and keep the teams goals first. I think he is just as skilled in his image as his driving. He is the whole package.

17. Prugna 328

Prugna 328 Formula 3

Sep 10, 2003
    L.I.N.Y.
    Full Name:
    Gregory
    I agree. I'm not a NASCAR fan, but I think the boys would FHU.

18. owsi

owsi Karting

Dec 7, 2003
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Matt
    I agree with this 100% Sometime last year, I think, JPM had an oil leak or something and drove the car around to the pits. In the PC Schumi said something to the effect of, "I guess it was too far for JPM to walk back, so he kept driving." I know it is not exactly a huge outburst, but, to my mind at least, he got the point across(Get off the f-ing line you idiot!).

19. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    Remember "Swapping Paint"? Jeff Gordon didn't do all that badly in the Williams F1 car, considering it was his first laps.
    JPM was pretty hard on Gordon's NASCAR tires, though. ;)

Between his showing at the Nation's Cup/ROC in 2002 and the Swapping Paint stunt, anyone else get the impression that Jeff is looking to change venues?
    (Somebody tell that boy it's about sponsors.)

But talk about marketability! To have "Flash Gordon" in an F1 car! (So which team manager would be "Ming the Merciless"?) :p

20. tifosi

tifosi F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Sep 5, 2001
    texas
    Full Name:
    Tom D
    I don' t see it in the transcipt but I head him pass a comment to the effect that he would not try to pass RB because ferrari would have told RB to crash him out. Did others hear this?

21. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
    Ditto, a consumate PROFESSIONAL, unlike most of his contemporaries! As for the PC talk, what do you expect him to say: Hey, I'm the greatest to ever live, I really wish everyone would just not even contest the season because we all know I will be 7x champ when it's all over, yeah, I was only short-shifting at about 15k rpm for the last 4 laps of the race (which he was) and STILL finished with a 10 second gap, I'm so bored by all my "competition" (then he chuckles), as for JPM, he thinks he's the heir apparent but I think I just might be still racing in my forties.. ah hell, maybe in my fifties even! By the way JPM, you wife is looking pretty hot, I think I will ask her out for a drink! You need to keep her away from me, just ask Heinz Harrold! HA HA, I slay myself... but I digress, Scuderia Ferrari is the best team to work with, even though I dragged them out of the doldrums singlehandedly. My teammate Rubino is a nice little chap, he is a good lapdog who does what he is told and for that I'm grateful, hey Ruebens, thanks for doing the Valencia testing so I could go to the beach with my family... bad luck you chose the wrong tire compound! That's the way the struedel crumbles I guess. Kimi, well what can I say, the "Ice Man" melt-eth !! HA HA, really I do crack myself up! Nevertheless, my 7x WC hats are available now at www.michaelschumacheristhegreatestdrivertoeverliveinthehistoryofallmotorracingandImake$100millionplusdollarsperyearandmywifeishotterthanyours.com

Peter Windsor: "Thankyou Michael, and now a word from each of you in your native languages, starting with you Michael"

22. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    I don't quite understand all of the Montoya bashing that I continually hear.

I judge a driver based on his ability, not his personality, or by what he said or did not say in an interview. Based on this, Montoya is one of the most talented drivers on the grid right now. If I had to pick a driver on the grid to best compete against Schumi in the same car, it would be Montoya, hands down. If you cannot recognize Montoya's talent, then you have no business commenting on Formula 1. You can hate his atttitude, you can hate his personality........that is all very secondary to his driving skill.

23. cairns

cairns Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2003
    Potomac MD
    Full Name:
    George Williams
    Kizdan I totally agree. MS has proven he has the ability to motivate a team and bring the best together; in terms of consistency, smoothness and levelheaded coolness he is unequaled and the record reflects this. And, lets face it, JPM will never come close to matching Micheal's record.

But in terms of pure driving ability he's the only one who's even close right now. I admire his ability to take it to anyone (unlike RS and some others I won't mention) and I want to watch a race when he's in it. F1 is getting very boring and JPM is one of the few drivers out there who keep it interesting.

He really enjoys driving the car and it shows.

BTW Micheal has had his temper tantrums too- or have we forgotten how he went after DC?

24. Ferrari_co_uk

Ferrari_co_uk Karting

Apr 16, 2003
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Mark Langfield
    No, what he was saying was that he didn't want to risk loosing eight points by trying to overtake someone who would eventually have to pit.

Best
    Mark

p.s. Kizdan - Good post

25. jmacphee

jmacphee Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    Joseph MacPhee
    I agree. The FIA transcript reads:

[JPM] I think it went pretty well. In the first few laps I got in front of Rubens. He made a mistake. Then I was trying to catch Michael towards the end of the race. The car got better, the tyres were just getting better and better and better. It was a shame I came out of the last stop behind Rubens. I went to pass him straight away but he blocked me. In a non-Ferrari, it’s better to back off than try to… you know, it’s better to go home with eight points than out of the race.

What I heard JPM say was "knowing Ferrari, it's better to back off them try to ..." It sure sounded like he was suggesting Rubens would take him out before he let him by. The thought that ran through my head was: I hope JPM never wants to drive for Ferrari, because that may have just cost him the opportunity.

Joe