struts for 348 engine cover | FerrariChat

struts for 348 engine cover

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by bigbaddad, Nov 18, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bigbaddad

bigbaddad Karting

Oct 31, 2003
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    John Roberts
    Hey -

I need replacement struts for my 348 engine cover. You know, the things that keep the hood from hitting you in the head.:)

Anyhow, I swung into our local auto parts store, but they don't have any that will match up.

I called the Ferrari dealer, and they have plenty of them. They are $75 each. Is that the going rate, or is there a place where I can get some for a bit less?

Thanks - john

2. Chuck550

Chuck550 Karting

May 15, 2001
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    Try McMaster-Carr. They have a gigantic catalog. Go to
    www.mcmaster.com
    and enter "struts" in the search engine. I found four pages of gas struts (or gas springs) including miniature (for glove boxes?), lockable, stainless steel ($$$) and threaded end types. You just need to know the dimensions and extension force you are looking for. There may be other struts listed under other categories.

3. 348paul

348paul Formula 3

Dec 27, 2002
    Kent - UK
    Full Name:
    Paul Hill
    John - Have sent you a PM

Paul

4. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    john -- go here (recently posted by ShanB):

http://www.sachsna.com/owx_medien/media103/10360.pdf

find the Sachs PN for your F application (might also be useful if you try to do some manufacturer cross-referencing), find Sachs retail distributor (the hard part;)), buy...

5. ShanB

ShanB Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2003
    Tejas/Europe/Desert
    Full Name:
    shanb
    91tr is right on. I just bought some of these for my 348 - if you call Sachs directly they will give you the name and number for your area distributor.

I paid around $26 each plus shipping.

Happy hunting

6. 95AgSpid

95AgSpid Rookie

Nov 4, 2003
    Or try RockAuto.com, they had the struts for my engine cover and the front 'trunk' and they fit perfectly and arrived in 4 days $90 for 4 with shipping.

7. bigbaddad

bigbaddad Karting

Oct 31, 2003
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    John Roberts
    I love this site!

I ordered two engine struts from rockauto and the glove box strut (frivolous, but fun). All for less then the cost of one strut from the dealer.

My savings justified another order with Paul Hill. I can't wait for my aluminum pedals!

Thanks everyone for the help!